A Friendly Biological Age Reduction Competition?

bioage2

What do you think about the idea of a friendly, “biological age reduction” competition that helps us all get healthier and more knowledgeable…

This week I saw that one person has reported great results with rapamycin in terms of biological age reduction:

Has anyone lowered their levine age or aging.ai through Rapamycin? yes, had blood tests and epigenetic age test done before starting rapamycin and after. Took rapamycin at 6mg/week for 4 months. 13 years improvement by Levine calcs as well as epiagingusa test.

To be honest, I’m very surprised by this result because the study on the rapamycin treated marmosets showed negative results. But - as many researchers pointed out - it was one type of epigenetic test (and in general people are still questioning the value of these tests and what they actually measure), and one short term study… so it doesn’t mean much. I’m skeptical about the above person’s measures - they seem too good to be true (and probably are), but lets see if we can validate it, or prove it wrong, with more examples from more people taking rapamycin…

In theory, it seems that since rapamycin has reversed or slowed aging in every organism its been tested on, we should see some sort of biological clock impact from taking rapamycin… but its never been shown in humans (so far, in research, that I’m aware of). So, if we do show a consistent biological age reduction by our use of rapamycin it would be very interesting, and good news.

My personal results might seem to support the idea that rapamycin could help with measurable biological age reductions - since I’m showing about 15 year lower biological age vs. chronological age as measured by the Levine phenotypical calculator. But I didn’t do pre/post testing so who knows what is helping me in this area? Or maybe these phenotypic calculations don’t measure what we think they measure.

So - to test this idea out - that rapamycin, and other lifestyle interventions help us lower our biological age - How about a Levine Phenotypic age calculation contest? Anyone with me on this?

This would work on the honor system, with no prizes yet (perhaps I can get sponsored by Lifespan.io for Starbucks gift cards for quarterly winners :wink:

Here is how it might work (I’m open to other suggestions and other ideas):

• People get the CBC and CRP blood tests so they have the information required for the Levine Phenotypic calculations.
  • We all report our Levine Biological age to start
  • Then we report every quarter (or whenever you want to participate)

The blood tests you need for this calculation are:

1. Complete Blood Count (CBC) / Chemistry / Lipids Panel Blood Test ($45)
  2. C-Reactive Protein (CRP), Cardiac Blood Test ($42)

And we announce quarterly winners in two categories:

1. Greatest Biological Age Reduction Overall (e.g. your chronological age minus your most recent biological age / blood test results)
  2. Best improved on a monthly basis (e.g. total biological age improvement since your last biological age calculations/blood test divided by the number of months since your last blood test)

What are Thoughts? Please click on the “Reply” button below and let me know if you like it and would participate?

For Biological Age Measurement

I suggest we use these two free methods of calculating biological age:

1. The Levine Phenotypic Age Calculator by Morgan Levine/Yale University
  2. The Aging.ai version 3.0 online calculator: http://aging.ai

Attached below is the .xls spreadsheet that I think Mike Lustgarten created for easy, at home calculation of your Levine phenotypic age.

3ba41-dnamphenoage_gen-1.xls (31.5 KB)

A little more reading if you’re new to the Levine Phenotypic Age Calculator:

Mike Lustgarten post on Quantifying Biological Age

https://www.oliverzolman.com/phenoage-calculator

8 Likes
Impressive Biological Age Reductions with Rapamycin (anecdotal)
What is the most important insight/s or lesson/s you have got from taking rapamycin?
Telemedicine services for longevity medication prescriptions?
Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug
Another Introduction - 56 Year Old Health Enthusiast
Newly Interested in Longevity
Starting soon, my story
Pre and Post-Rapamycin blood work results, 6mg/week for One Year
Rapamycin Cycling (Time Off) - Who Is Right?
Glycanage test result of 80 years
Aging.AI age calculator
I am starting rapamycin at 30 and would like some advice from you guys
Another simple introduction - 24 old male t1d
What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?
Tally Health - A new biological age testing Company
Introducing myself....finally!
New to taking Rapa, Levine pheno and DNA age decreased by 4 years in 3 months. Can this be real?
My InsideTracker (Innerage) Test results before and after Rapamycin
New users starting up on Rapamycin!
Biological Age Test DNA
Interested in starting Rapamycin (in SF Bay Area)
Simple Introduction - 35 Year Old Software Engineer
Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?
More life - Decoding the secret of aging | DW Documentary Film
Starting rapamycin next month - 27 years old
Pre Rapamycin Lab Work Recommended?
New to taking Rapa, Levine pheno and DNA age decreased by 4 years in 3 months. Can this be real?
17 Alpha Estradiol: Use and Dosing Experiences
Buy Rapamycin Online - List of Reliable Pharmacies

Yes, I’d like to do this. I barely had started rapamycin when I got my blood test a month ago, so this should work.

1 Like

Great to hear. I get my blood work done every 3 or 4 months - so its something I’m doing anyway. And its pretty inexpensive and we want to be watching our blood results anyway to see how our bodies are responding.

1 Like

Here’s another test that was developed by some people I know. I think it’s credible. And you not only get a biological age based on a lot of blood markers, but actionable suggestions. 95 bucks which includes the blood draw at a Quest lab.

Biological Age Test - Lab visit required.* Discover the biological age of the body you’re living in. | Thorne?

1 Like

Hi Charles, great to see you.

It sounds like you have experience with it.

Have you done any pre/post testing while on rapamycin and over time? Can you share any results?

Also - do you do regular blood work to track your major blood markers/measures?

Yes I did do this test a few months ago. I do regular blood work but unfortunately I don’t have a before and after with this particular test. My blood work was pretty good before I started rapamycin and I haven’t seen any significant changes, really. All of the positive changes I’ve seen have been subjective.

I may go back now and compare from before and now and see if there have been any real changes.

The nice thing about this test it gives you the biological age for many different blood markers and then it gives you an overall biological age. And as I mentioned it also provides any suggestions that might be appropriate based on the analysis.

1 Like

There are only two type of test who I can trust:
https://glycanage.com/
https://trudiagnostic.com/truage/

1 Like

I’d just love to see where folks are at pre/post different interventions. Here’s some of my numbers. Rapamycin has had some impact, but not as much as fitness and diet. I think this makes sense though.

6mo post Rapamycin Good Fitness/Good Diet/IF (Oct 2021)
Actual Age 42
Phenotypic Age 29.5

Pre-Rapamycin Good Fitness/Good Diet (March 2021)
Actual Age 42
Phenotypic Age 31.4

Basic Fitness/Typical Diet (May 2019)
Actual Age 40
Phenotypic Age 35.1

3 Likes

Some good news from Dr. Morgan Levine (creator of the Levine Phenotypic biological age calculation)… on Rapamycin’s impact on epigenetic measures of aging…

1 Like

Just saw another example of a person getting a bioclock benefit from rapamycin:

"Been taking rapamycin since Dec 2019 (2 years). Started at 5 mg once a week. First half of this year was at 10 mg/ week and second half took 15 mg every two weeks
Results to date:

• much higher eGFR
  • lower creatinine
  • lower RDW
    using Morgan Levine calculator I dropped from a bio age of 66 in 2019 (when I was 66) to 53 in June 2021 (68.5)".
    Change to these bio markers occurred within two months of starting 5 mg/ week of rapamycin but have not changed with higher doses.

Source:

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder for people to please post their biological clock measurements here - ideally before and after using rapamycin for some time.

1 Like

My metrics were noted in a post above.
Currently my Levine age has gone to 60 so only a 9 year reduction.
However, I had heart surgery in November 2021 and since then my heart rate variability has crashed from 23 ms to 9 ms and my hscRP has gone from 0.76 to 10.1
Interestingly, my eGFR has continued to increase and creatinine decrease steadily every blood test (was way out of range before starting rapa)
Also, during a recent dental procedure for a crown my dentist remarked 3 times(!) that he could not believe my gums were not bleeding - he thought it remarkable for all the digging he was doing.

4 Likes

I think the price of that test is very reasonable because I spend that much getting blood tests to get my biological markers for the Levine test. I think I will try them after completing my current regimen. Levine’s test leaves out too many markers in my opinion.

1 Like

I take 15 mg of rapamycin every two weeks.

Recently had epigenetic age measured by TruDiagnostic. Was about 9 years younger than chronological age which agreed with Levine calculator

One unexpected report was on what they called Extrinsic age which was described as bio age of immune system. For me the report showed a 19 year reduction in my immune system age.

3 Likes

Paul, how long have you been takin rapamycin?

two years plus two months

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

Continuous or intermittent / pulsing dosing?
How long on 15mg?

8 months on 15 mg now every 2 weeks
was going every week at lower doses

2 Likes

Hi Master David…I had a 13 year biological difference in chronological age twice thru TruMe… a spit epigentic test… 6 months apart.

GlycanAge blood tests results in 4-5 weeks!

1 Like

I recently got my second Levine bioage result since starting rapa in early October, 2021. I also took a look at my data for the last five years to see any trends and note the variability. The data was sometimes incomplete (damn 2020), so I interpolated between tests. I also held fasting glucose constant because mine is highly variable day-to-day, which makes the results only valid as a comparison over time.

Result: 4 months after starting rapa, by bioage was reduced almost 5 years, and maintained that reduction at 7 months.

8 Likes