Another Introduction - 56 Year Old Health Enthusiast

Hi!

Like @mcormier, I recently discovered this community and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Joel. I am 56 years old and have had an interest in life extension since I was 18. I finally decided to incorporate Rapamycin into my health care regime and will have a package arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

Before starting the therapy, I want to do some baseline tests. I’m definitely doing the CBC and CRP test to calculate the Levine PhenoAge to participate in @RapAdmin 's " Friendly, Biological Age Reduction Competition?. Are there other tests I should consider for both harm and benefit detection? I do a lipid panel every quarter.

Thanks for creating such a vibrant community. I look forward to participating and contributing!

7 Likes

Highly recommend GlycanAge… blood … from finger prick.
Presentation on it in the Forum… It is being used by the PEARL rapamycin clinical to get a biological age baseline… then look for changes.

Great spit test available through TruMe.

Wish I had done a baseline early in.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check them out.

1 Like

Search… GlycanAge

A discussion with Dr. Sajad Zalzala and Gordan Lauc from GlycanAge - PEARL Study

1 Like

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Baseline testing is nice - and the more the merrier, but just balance it with cost and ease of access for you and your specific city. Rapamycin “seems” to be effective for helping reduce visceral fat - so it might be interesting to do a DEXA scan to measure lean body mass, etc. - and depending where you live, these tests can be very inexpensive and easy to get. I see deals on Groupon.com for “dexa” or search on “cheap dexa” and your city name and see what you find. This is one of the key outcome measures that is being used in the PEARL rapamycin study.

Agetron recommended the Glycan Age measure - which is ok. I’m not a huge fan of the bioclocks because their true accuracy has never really been validated as an absolute measure, and I like the Levine Phenotypic age calculations because its cheap, easy and low hassle - and provides a basic means to see changes in your biological age over time (though the issue of whether it actually translates to longer, healthier lives is unproven).

If you want to do the GlycanAge pre and post test - the founders/president of the company recently contacted me and wants to offer members here a special deal on the tests as they would like to see the results pre and post rapamycin for their own edification. Let me know if you are interested…

More info on GlycanAge:

6 Likes

Thanks you both again for comments and suggestions.

I’ve scheduled a DEXA scan and a blood draw for this Monday. After looking into it, I’ve also opted to take the GrimAge test. It’s a bit pricey but I want to see how Levine test compares.

If all goes as planned, I’ll take my first 1mg dose Monday night!

3 Likes

Whoa!

I didn’t know GrimAge was available?
Would do it in a heartbeat.

How does one get access to take it?

Thanks,
Agetron

1 Like

Michael Lustgarten, Ph.D. is almost fanatical about following his aging markers.
In this video, he makes the case that the Morgan Levine test is probably as good as the more expensive and elaborate tests.

Conquer Aging Or Die Trying!
Quantifying Biological Age: Blood Test #3 in 2021

3 Likes

@desertshores Seems to me you’re doing an amazing job too, kudos.

1 Like

I work at UCLA and have supported Dr. Horvath’s work in the past. I reached out to him and asked for a recommendation on the best test. He recommended grimage and arranged for me to get the test. I don’t know if that was a “one off” or not. After I’ve interacted with the clock foundation a bit longer I will inquire about broader access. I’ll keep you in the loop as I learn more.

4 Likes

Sounds good… the Horvath twins are interested in the GlycanAge and Thyroid regeneration… (18 months… laughable compared to Rapamycin.).

At 64 years…I scored 37 biological years… on the GlycanAge review. Completely out of the normal exceptional range.

Horvath might want to see how his test views my biological age. Definitely if you get a contact…I would be interested in pursuing a GrimAge test. Thank you.

1 Like

would do a full metabolic panel to check your health for liver and kidneys. Would check t3 and T4 for thyroid. life extension offers the tests at labcorp for a big discount.

2 Likes

Just for fun, it would be interesting to do the standing leg test (eye open, and eyes closed) - test (three times, and take the mean). Do this pre-rapamycin, and then every month after… I suspect the times will increase, but I have no data on this:

2 Likes

That would be fun just to see if it changes.
Maybe add in other simple things like gait speed, grip strength, reaction times, and lung function ( but I’m not aware of a simple test).

2 Likes

HA! I just timed myself standing on one leg. Here are my results:
Standing on left foot: 87 seconds
Standing on right foot: 65 seconds.
I sure hope this test is accurate for longevity!!

4 Likes

Open eyes or closed eyes?

1 Like

Seconded. Consumer facing bioclocks are mostly useless to me - there’s a lot of noise and not very reliable.

They aren’t actually that great right now, but the field itself has potential as the next gen has gotten better.

Blood tests work just fine for me to get a rough measure and the labs are far better validated.

1 Like

Eyes opened. With eyes closed, timing was as follows: 43 seconds on left foot, 27 seconds on right foot.

3 Likes