Who in the Health and Longevity Field are Taking Rapamycin (part 2)

Here is a sample of the people who we know, or suspect (see notes), are taking rapamycin. Yes, these are the “poster children” for rapamycin use.

You might ask why we should care if these people are taking rapamycin. The simple answer is that most of them have studied biology their entire lives, many with a focus on the biology of aging. And they’ve studied all the rapamycin / MTOR research. Some have been involved in, or are leading, the actual lifespan studies with animals. If they believe rapamycin will work to slow aging, there is a reasonably good chance it will.

At the same time, I’ve included a number of researchers below who are intimately involved in the research around rapamycin and MTOR and who have decided rapamycin research isn’t yet at the level where they feel comfortable taking it themselves. Everyone has a different risk/reward profile.

Rapamycin is not a completely risk-free drug. I don’t think any exist. The research does, however, suggest that the low-doses used in anti-aging applications of rapamycin are relatively low risk. Matt Kaeberlein, one of the researchers with the most experience with rapamycin trials in mammals, has said with regard to human use: “Rapamycin… safer than Aspirin, Possibly. Safer than alcohol, Definitely

Mikhail Blagosklonny

Blag250

Personal Website: https://www.mikhailblagosklonny.com
Education: MD and PhD from First Pavlov State Medical University of St. Petersburg, Russia
Profession/Position:Professor of Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Mikhail Blagosklonny is a scientist who studies cancer and aging. He is an adjunct faculty member at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center in Buffalo, New York
How long taking Rapamycin: Approximately 2+ years (exact start date unknown)
Dose of Rapamycin: 20mg in a single dose, once every two weeks

Dr. Blagosklonny was one of the earliest proponents of using rapamycin for the purpose of longevity. In fact, he may have been one of the first to propose this idea. Dr. Blagosklonny has written extensively about geroscience and potential drugs counter aging. His 2006 paper, “Aging and Immortality: Quasi-Programmed Senescence and Its Pharmacologic Inhibition,” was initially rejected by basically every major journal as being too far out there, but he was just ahead of his time. He argued that aging is a “quasi-program” that results from a “continuation of the developmental program that is not turned off, is constantly on, becoming hyper-functional and damaging, causing diseases of aging.” He also made the case that inhibiting the TOR pathway can target cell senescence, aging, and diseases of aging, and finding a drug that selectively targets this pathway is an excellent candidate for an anti-aging drug.

Other related publications by Blagosklonny:

Alan-Green-250

Dr. Alan Green

Personal/Professional Website: https://rapamycintherapy.com
Education:

• Winthrop-University Hospital Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, 1976 - 1980
  • US Public Health Service Hospital Internship, 1967 - 1968
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine Class of 1967

Profession/Position: Medical Doctor, Private Practice (prescribes rapamycin)

How long taking Rapamycin: Started in 2016
Dose of Rapamycin: Dr. Green’s dosing has changed over time. Now says he’s taking 20mg every other week and that one should wait 5 rapamycin half lives between doses. The rapamycin half-life seems to be around 62 hours +/- 16 hours, in transplant patients, and around 82 hours +/- 12 hours, in healthy younger patients.

Doctor Green says he now has over 760 patients using rapamycin for anti-aging. What doctor Green has said about his patients taking rapamycin for anti-aging:

Doctor Green: I recently reviewed my last 100 patients and found 10% were physicians. These are frequently very prominent physicians, heads of departments, physicians at very prestigious hospitals, a president of the county medical society; but the interest is generally for their own use.

Question. Does he have metabolically and physically fit patients? If so, what are their ages and what have been their clinical results with rapamycin ?

Doctor Green: Many of my patients are exceptionally healthy, some are elite middle-age athletes. Some recent patients included a former Olympic runner, a Boston marathon sub 3 hour runner, a world class 50 mile trail runner, and many very excellent cyclists. These are people are very healthy and want to stay that way. The age range of top athletes is 50-70. They were top athletes before I saw them and they intend to remain top athletes.

PAttia250

Peter Attia

Personal/Professional Website: https://peterattiamd.com
Education: Peter Attia grew up in Canada and attended Queen’s University, receiving B.Sc. degrees in mechanical engineering and applied mathematics.
Stanford University School of Medicine, where he received his M.D. After medical school, Attia spent five years at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland as a general surgery resident. He spent two years at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) at National Institutes of Health (NIH), in Bethesda, Maryland as a Surgical Oncology Fellow.
Profession/Position: Medical Doctor, Private Practice (does not yet prescribe rapamycin to patients) - Peter Attia MD
How long taking Rapamycin: Approx. 3 years (started in approx. 2018)
Dose of Rapamycin: Unclear right now- but he has said 5mg or 6mg once per week dosing. He used to take periodic multi-month breaks from rapamycin, but has noted recently that he’s given those up now.

From Peter Attia’s podcast discussion with Joan Mannick and Nir Barzelai:

Peter’s experience with taking rapamycin

• In 2011/2012, Peter knew he wanted to start taking rapamycin based on just the data in the mice, yeast, flies, worms, etc.
  • His biggest concern was immune suppression
  • And it was still unclear as to how to dose it
  • But then, Joan’s 2014 paper was published giving him more confidence that it was safe
  • Joan’s paper suggested 5 mg once a week was a pretty good place to start
  • Peter triangulated that data with data from Matt Kaeberlein’s dogs
  • He settled on 6 mg once a week
  • What still remains unclear for Peter is how to cycle it
    • Current protocol is—on for 8 weeks, off for 5 weeks
    • But, truthfully, without more advanced testing, I’m really making it up and therefore I don’t like talking about it like I just did .”
  • Side effects:
    • Aphthous ulcers (canker sores), but mostly just at the beginning during an acclimation period
    • Fingernails grow slower
    • Other than those observations, Peter says he doesn’t “feel” anything while taking it

Peter’s take on what should be the focus—

• The FDA and scientific community needs to adapt and increase their tolerance for risk when studying agents like metformin and rapamycin
    • Peter says, “I feel less nervous taking rapamycin personally than an antibiotic.

ramiller.250

Richard A. Miller

Education: Richard A. Miller, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor of Pathology at the University of Michigan. He received the BA degree in 1971 from Haverford College, and MD and PhD degrees from Yale University in 1976-1977. After postdoctoral studies at Harvard and Sloan-Kettering, he began his faculty career at Boston University in 1982 and then moved to his current position at Michigan in 1990.
Profession/Position: Director of the National Institute on Aging, ITP program (testing “Drugs for Aging”. Runs the Miller Lab, University of Michigan

Dr. Miller has served in a variety of editorial and advisory positions on behalf of the American Federation for Aging Research and the National Institute on Aging, and served as one of the Editors-in-Chief of Aging Cell. He is the recipient of the Nathan Shock Award, the AlliedSignal Award, the Irving Wright Award, an award from the Glenn Foundation, and the Kleemeier Award for aging research. He has been a Senior Scholar of the Ellison Medical Foundation, and is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the American Association of Physicians. At Michigan, he directs the Paul Glenn Center for Aging Research.

How long taking Rapamycin: Unknown
Dose of Rapamycin: Unknown
Note: Richard Miller has not officially, explicitly stated that he is taking rapamycin. But, in his Feb, 2021 Podcast with Peter Attia, Peter asked him "Has your conviction about any of the molecules tested in the ITP studies led you to taking any?

Richard Miller responds

"I prefer not to answer that question, because I’m not a doctor and I’d never, ever wish to recommend drugs to someone else " (link to exact question and response here).

Given that rapamycin is by far the best performing drug in all the ITP studies, I’ll take that has a “YES” to him taking rapamycin. Your interpretation may differ.

Ned250

Nathaniel David

Education: He holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in Molecular and Cellular Biology and an A.B. in Biology from Harvard University.
Profession/Position: Co-Founder, Unity Biotechnology (focused on senolytics)
How long taking Rapamycin: Unknown
Dose of Rapamycin: 8mg/ once per week

MattK

Matt Kaeberlein

Education: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, Biology, Doctorate of Philosophy, 2002
Western Washington University, Seattle, WA, Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics
Profession/Position: Professor, Director, Healthy Aging and Longevity Research Institute
How long taking Rapamycin: One period of approx. 10 weeks, for “frozen shoulder” personal trial.
Dose of Rapamycin: 8mg/ once per week, but has also tried up to 10mg (without any side effects, he says).

Update: March, 2022 Matt said in the Teleconference/Rapamycin Survey Study discussion that he’s now on 6mg/week.

Matt Kaeberlein mentioned in a recent podcast that after many months of suffering from a painful “frozen shoulder” which is caused by inflammation in the joint, he decided to try rapamycin (which is a strong anti-inflammatory). The pain in his shoulder quickly went away and has not returned. It sounds like he took rapamycin for about 10 weeks. You can see his commentary on this in this video:

Matt is also a scientific advisor to a company developing anti-aging drugs for dogs (Loyal ) and which eventually could be used in humans. Loyal has said they are not doing an mTOR inhibitor, and Matt is a strong proponent of rapamycin, so it doesn’t appear there is impact to Matt’s perspectives on aging drugs from this association with Loyal.

Rapamycin-Related Publications:

Who in the Longevity / Health Field isn’t taking rapamycin and Why?

JoanMannick250

Joan Mannick

Education: AB History, Harvard College, MD Harvard Medical School
Profession/Position: Head Of Research And Development at Life Biosciences
Reason for not taking Rapamycin: We definitely need more data on drugs like rapamycin and metformin — “I do think these shouldn’t be used until we PROVE that they have benefit. She says she’s guided by the data and there has not been enough clinical data yet. You can hear her specific comments here in the podcast

…scientists like resTORbio cofounder Joan Mannick believe that rapamycin—or synthetic facsimiles known as rapalogs—will ultimately break through as a safe and effective anti-aging therapy. The key, Dr. Mannick says, is to use lower and more intermittent dosing than the standard for transplant patients. (source: Tony Robbins Book Life Force)

Joan Mannick is famous as one of the leading scientific researchers originally at Novartis that has studied rapamycin-like drug Everolimus and notably a “rapalog” RB101 that is a small molecule drug that was spun out into a startup company called RestorBio, where she was CSO. This company was specifically started to focus on developing an anti-aging small molecule drug like rapamycin (but crucially since it was molecularly different, could be patented and thus priced high for higher profit margins).

steven-austad250

Steve Austed

Education:

• B.A., UCLA, English Literature
  • B.S., California State University, Northridge, Biology
  • Ph.D., Purdue University, Biological Sciences

Profession/Position:University of Alabama, Distinguished Professor; Department Chair
Protective Life Endowed Chair in Healthy Aging Research

Reason for not taking Rapamycin: "We’re still not sure if rapamycin is safe, Steve thinks we should prioritize figuring out what low dose rapamycin does, But the FDA is not going to sign off on giving drugs to healthy people, so we have to do trials on people with underlying illness (Source: Peter Attia podcast with Steve Austed)

dudley-headshot-300x238

Dudley Lamming

Education: B.S. - MIT, Harvard University – PhD, Experimental Pathology, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts – Postdoctoral Fellow/Senior Research Associate
Profession/Position: Associate Professor, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. University of Wisconsin.
Reason for not taking Rapamycin: Dudley Lamming has said we need good human clinical trial data in healthy adults and we don’t have that yet (suggested in his twitter posts). He has also expressed concerns about rapamycin and potential immune suppression.

It must also be noted that Dudley Lamming seems to have a conflict of interest with respect to rapamycin. He is the scientific advisor at a company developing a new MTOR inhibitor (Aeovian) who’s product seems likely to be competitive to rapamycin. It also seems likely that he is getting paid - either in money or company stock / options - which means he has a conflict of interest, and financial incentive to overemphasize potential issues with rapamycin.

Dudley Lamming is one of the leading researchers in the area of rapamycin and mTOR inhibitors. Here are some of his publications:

ewhite250

Eileen White:

Education: B. S. degree in biology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Ph. D. degree in Biology from SUNY Stony Brook
Profession/Position: Deputy Director, Chief Scientific Officer, and Associate Director of Basic Research at the Rutgers Cancer Institute and is Associate Director of the Ludwig Princeton Branch of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research at Princeton University
Reason for not taking Rapamycin: not enough human clinical data for her. Source: Peter Attia podcast with Eileen White)

12 Likes

This is a great vintage post. Just found it today.

2 Likes

This is a good post and deserves attention. Note that Joan Mannick doesn’t take rapamycin.

Hate to say it, but based on their reasoning, those that don’t take it probably won’t see the proof they need in ther lifetime.

6 Likes

Exactly. Its easily another 10 to 20 years for well-validated human clinical trials for longevity drugs (in longevity-oriented clinical trials, not disease indication clinical trials).

2 Likes

It’s a leap of faith that whatever works in mice and model organisms also works for humans. The best we can get is additional dog data.

I am taking the leap of faith. It makes sense to me.

It’s kind of like Pascals wager. If I am right, I can live 5-10 more healthy years and have lots of health benefits. If I am wrong, I would have suffered canker sores and skin rashes for nothing. It’s a no-brainer, really.

10 Likes

Yes - and if side effects ever increase to a point where you don’t want to tolerate them any more, or you believe that your blood test results are not going in the right direction for a period of time, you can always stop or pause the use of rapamycin.

7 Likes

And unfortunately, it is very certain what will happen if we do not take active steps to forestall aging. I would rather waste money on some thing that did nothing, or even some thing that may have been detrimental in retrospect. The risk reward ratio for me is decidedly in favor of rapamycin. That said, we should be respectful of this drug and what we do not know. Joan Mannick understands rapamycin far better than I ever will.

6 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: PEARL / AgelessRX Rapamycin Trial Participant Feedback - So Far

In his personal life, Robert Nelsen, 60 years old, downs a daily cocktail of almost a dozen different drugs, including rapamycin, metformin, taurine and nicotinamide mononucleotide, all of which he says help prevent illness and promote longevity

5 Likes

The investment firm Robert Nelsen co-founded in 1986, Arch Venture Partners, has racked up billions in profits from early stakes in companies developing methods to detect and treat cancer and other diseases.

In his personal life, Nelsen, 60 years old, downs a daily cocktail of almost a dozen different drugs, including rapamycin, metformin, taurine and nicotinamide mononucleotide, all of which he says help prevent illness and promote longevity. Nelsen has a full-body MRI every six months, sees a dermatologist every three months and has annual blood tests to detect cancer. At his home in the Rocky Mountains, he works out in an “electric suit” that he says emits low-frequency impulses to build muscle and improve health.

“I know I will get cancer, I just want to catch it early,” says Nelsen, who says an MRI several years ago has already identified thyroid cancer at an early stage. He has seen family members die of the disease.

“Bob has a big fear of death,” says his wife, Ellyn Hennecke.

Nelsen shows some of the medications he takes in his efforts to prevent illness and promote longevity. At right, the ‘electric suit’ that he uses for workouts.NATALIE BEHRING FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Nelsen’s latest and largest investment—several hundred million dollars, he says—is in a company attempting something even more ambitious than aiding health and longevity. Altos Labs, based in the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, and Cambridge, U.K., is working on ways to rejuvenate cells to eliminate disease—an approach called epigenetic reprogramming. Nelsen and Altos’s founders believe they can turn the clock back on aging cells to restore functions characteristic of younger cells.

Arch is the largest institutional investor in Altos, which already has $3 billion of committed investments, likely making it the biotech industry’s best-funded startup on record.

Nelsen is characteristically unrestrained when discussing Altos’s prospects.

“Epigenetic reprogramming is the biggest thing in healthcare in 100 years. Or ever,” he says. “We will clearly live much healthier and longer lives if this works.”

That’s a huge if. Cellular rejuvenation has yet to be proven effective as a treatment. So far, the only data Altos and others in the field have produced is in mice, suggesting they are a long way from rolling out any products. Skeptics doubt cells can be reprogrammed to ward off age-related illnesses.

Nelsen realizes Altos faces imposing obstacles.

“The big question is, will this work in humans,” Nelsen acknowledges. “At first blush, it seems too good to be true.”

Nelsen favors designer jeans and black T-shirts, looking more like an upscale bike messenger than a deep-pocketed investor. He doesn’t hold a medical degree and never worked in a lab.

A native of Walla Walla, Wa., Nelsen studied biology and economics at the University of Puget Sound before getting an M.B.A. at the University of Chicago. His approach to building Altos is the same as with past investments: Identify leading scientists with ambitious ideas and back them with huge checks and other support.

“Cool things happen when you put scientists together,” he says.

Then, Nelsen prods them to make progress.

Founders of companies Nelsen invests in say they’ve learned to appreciate his energy, enthusiasm and judgment, especially in difficult situations. PHOTO: NATALIE BEHRING FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

“He sends a text almost every day—‘Chat?’ or ‘Need to talk,’ says Richard Klausner, a successful biotech entrepreneur who is Altos’s chief scientist and developed the idea behind the company with investor Yuri Milner. “Then I’ll call him, and he texts ‘Can’t talk.’”

Sometimes, Nelsen sends company founders more urgent messages, such as “DNFIU”—Do Not Fuck It Up. His manic energy can lead to confrontations. Nelsen drives his GMC Yukon so aggressively that some friends avoid riding with him. He’s started fights with supermarket customers who resisted using plastic bags.

“I hate plastic bag bans, because the assumption that they are better for the environment than paper is flawed and I am grown up enough to not have government choose my bag for me,” Nelsen says.

Founders of companies Nelsen invests in say he is easily distracted and spends a lot of time staring at his phone. But they’ve learned to appreciate his energy, enthusiasm and judgment, especially in difficult situations.

“Bob isn’t a scientist but he has fantastic intuition, makes decisions fast and is a terrific partner in a crisis, he always stays calm,” Klausner says.

Taking cells back to their youthful, healthier state long captured the imagination of scientists, but seemed unlikely. Then a breakthrough paper published in 2006 by Japanese scientist Shinya Yamanaka and a colleague showed mature skin cells of mice could be reprogrammed into primordial, immature stem cells—called induced pluripotent stem cells—in effect resetting their molecular clocks. Yamanaka, who later shared a Nobel Prize for work in this area, is an adviser to Altos. In 2016, Spanish biochemist Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte, Altos’s founding scientist, showed how the age of cells could be reverted without changing their genome and identity. His work demonstrated the potential for toggling between the ‘old’ and ‘young’ states of cells—the basis for Altos’s effort to rejuvenate cells.

Nobel Prize winner Shinya Yamanaka, here in Tokyo in 2019, made a breakthrough in reprogramming cells. PHOTO: YOSHIO TSUNODA/ZUMA PRESS

“If we can turn the clock back so cells are healthy and resilient, you can reverse disease,” Klausner says.

But there’s limited evidence cellular rejuvenation can be done safely or that it can be an effective way to combat disease or reverse the effects of aging. Some scientists are downright dismissive of the idea. Dr. Richard A. Miller, a professor of pathology at the University of Michigan, who says he hasn’t followed Altos’s efforts, argues that it’s simplistic and misguided to explain illness as the result of cells getting older. In any aging body, cells divide, die, are replaced and change, he notes. So it’s unclear if reprogramming cells can ward off sickness, even if it could be done successfully and safely, he says.

“Aging is something that happens to bodies, not to cells,” Miller says. “The reprogramming idea seems to be a shortcut to try to make cells ‘younger’ in the hopes that this will somehow fix everything. There’s no evidence this will work.”

Others say the approach has both potential and enormous risk.

“Reprogramming technology is powerful, and it works in cells, but when you do it in animals it’s more of a challenge, so an actual product or therapy will be tough,” says Paul Knoepfler, a stem-cell researcher at the University of California, Davis. “You can get cells to be younger but if you get it just a little wrong you can create tumors. There’s not much room for error.”

While Yamanaka’s earlier work demonstrates that “cellular reprogramming can reverse the oldness or agedness of cells to take them back to a youthful cellular state in the form of iPS cells,” that work was done in cells in a Petri dish in a lab, Knoepfler says. “It’s much less clear,” he says, if Altos or others can safely reverse the aging of cells and tissues in a person.

Nelsen and Altos are raiding academic institutions and other organizations to hire nearly 500 scientists around the globe, including several Nobel Prize winners.

“It’s an all-star team of scientists,” Knoepfler says. “They have the freedom to pursue questions, the money makes a difference, they can take more risks…If anyone can do it, they can.”

Nelsen’s track record suggests Altos has a shot at success. His firm has backed successful biotechs including Juno Therapeutics, Illumina, Alnylam and Agios. Industry publication STAT recently named Arch the most successful biotech venture-capital firm of the past year.

Nelsen says he was convinced to bet on Altos by “the breadth of different animal models” demonstrating cell rejuvenation, the quality of the scientists joining the company and the goal of “reversing, not treating disease.”

“My goal is not to make a trillion-dollar company,” he says. “It’s to profoundly restructure a reactive broken industry into a curative industry that has profound impact on humans.”

4 Likes

Look closely, and you can see that rapamycin (rapamune) is in his stack!

5 Likes

Anyone know what the brand of electric suit is that he’s using? Perhaps the Katalyst Suit?

Electrical Muscle Stimulation (E-Stim) – A Game-Changer in Workouts?

Key takeaways:

• Electrical muscle stimulation, otherwise known as e-stem or electroshock therapy for muscles, is a well-established therapy that has historically been used for pain management and mobility. Now, the use of EMS suits can make your workout more challenging and, thus, more effective.

• EMS works by sending low-frequency electrical impulses to your muscles, causing them to contract. This makes EMS workouts a viable way to increase the efficiency of your workout in less time.

• Does EMS work? The evidence suggests that it does if you’re pairing it with the right exercise routines, but it’s important to use them under the supervision of a trained individual to ensure both their safety and efficacy.

https://healthnews.com/fitness/physical-health/e-stim-workouts/

2 Likes

Just adding Peter Diamandis to this list of people in the health / longevity field taking rapamycin: Peter Diamandis Longevity Protocol: Weekly 6mg Rapamycin + 100 mg Doxycycline

3 Likes

Also looking at his pills you can see 2g of Omega-3 and about 5-10,000 IUs of vitamin D3.

It’d be nice if he could release his stack so we could mimic/improve upon it. Anyone have his contact info?

I think I would get along well with this guy.

4 Likes

And @Krister_Kauppi 's list of men and women in the health and longevity field who are taking rapamycin:

The biochemist @RyanSmithEpiAge, who is founder of the epigenetic aging testing company TruDiagnostics, has recently revealed that he is taking 6 mg of Rapamycin once every week. So now the male edition of the list contains 18 longevity leaders. If I have missed someone please let me know! Next week I will publish an updated list of the female edition and add some more females to that list.

3 Likes

Observational Study of the Effect of Rapamycin on Facial Aging Among Longevity Experts Using Facial Age Detection

Abstract

This study evaluates the efficacy of rapamycin on facial aging by comparing facial age detection outcomes to actual ages in two groups of longevity experts. We employed the FaceApp age detection AI on IOS for facial age assessment. Our aim was to ascertain any noticeable differences in facial aging between those who consume rapamycin and those who don’t. A t-test comparison of the real age and AI-detected age differences yielded a p-value of 0.44, suggesting no significant difference between the groups.

Introduction

Rapamycin, first identified as an antifungal agent, has been acknowledged for its potential in extending lifespan and postponing age-related diseases. Numerous longevity experts have become advocates or users of this drug. The objective of this observational study is to ascertain any noticeable differences in facial aging — a visible marker of biological aging — between rapamycin users and non-users.

Methodology

Facial age was assessed using the FaceApp age detection AI on the IOS platform. Only recent photos were analyzed to maintain accuracy. Subjects’ actual ages were sourced from Google online searches. The difference between detected facial age and actual age was determined for each participant. Stata 18.0 was employed for statistical analysis. A t-test was conducted with a p-value set at < 0.05.

Results

The results are presented as:

A. Taking Rapamycin

Name Face Age Real Age Difference (Face - Real)
Mikhail Blagosklonny 68 63 5
Alan Green 75 77 -2
Peter Attia 44 50 -6
Richard A. Miller 79 74 5
Nathaniel David 42 55 -13
Matt Kaeberlein 46 52 -6
Robert Nelsen 58 60 -2
Average difference: -2.71 years

B. Not Taking Rapamycin

Name Face Age Real Age Difference (Face - Real)
Joan Mannick 60 64 -4
Steve Austed 69 77 -8
Dudley Lamming 43 45 -2
Eileen White 60 68 -8
Average difference: -5.5 years

Two-sample t-test with equal variances: Group C (non-users): Mean = -5.5, Std. Dev. = 3 Group R (users): Mean = -2.714, Std. Dev. = 6.4217 Difference (C-R): -2.7857, t = -0.8049, p = 0.4416

Discussion

The average difference between detected facial age and actual age for rapamycin users is -2.71 years. In contrast, for non-users, it’s -5.5 years. This implies that individuals not taking rapamycin appear, on average, younger in facial aging relative to their actual age than those on the drug. However, several considerations need acknowledgment. The FaceApp’s age detection accuracy may not be consistent. Rapamycin users might have updated photos due to confirmation bias among web users. Also, rapamycin users might be more prominent figures, making their photos more recent than those of non-users. Online age data might be unreliable for some individuals, and the duration of rapamycin usage, which was not addressed in this study, might vary. Despite these limitations, the detected difference may fall within the observational study’s margin of error.

Conclusion

There’s a slight observable difference in facial age detection relative to real age between the two groups. However, this isn’t substantial enough to conclusively deduce the anti-aging efficacy of rapamycin among longevity experts. We recommend more comprehensive studies with larger samples and varied aging markers.

6 Likes

As seen with Bryan Johnson, rapamycin which can cause loss of adipose tissue… body fat can make you appear thinner and older. Losing face fat causes a loss of youthful look.

I can see that.

But, Kaeberlein and Attia are killing it in looks for their 50 - 52-ish age.

3 Likes

Since rapamycin is just slowing down aging and not causing age reversal, I don’t think any of these people have been taking it long enough for us to tell if there is an effect.

It would have been nice to have the test pictures of the subjects before they started rapamycin then 2, 5, or 10 years later.

We will have to wait to see if rapamycin has any meaningful effect on the facial age detection test.

The sample size is so small it would be ridiculed if any scientific journal tried to publish these results.

IMO: The test is meaningless at this time. It is an extremely flawed result because we don’t have the before and after facial age detection photos of the rapamycin users.

5 Likes

Agreed. I might run a before rapamycin 3-years ago and current pic and see what I get. Hahaha.

I am constantly told I am looking younger and younger, by colleagues. Who to me look too old.

3 Likes