Any Women Taking Rapamycin for Enhanced Fertility / Menopause Prevention?

I spoke with a woman who I think is in her early 40s, last week who is starting rapamycin to maintain her fertility and prevent / delay menopause. She will be writing about the process, and the results over the coming months and I’ll provide a link to her articles when they come out.

But this got me thinking and I’m wondering if there are other women here who might be taking rapamycin to either enhance their fertility (maintain their fertility as they age past 30) or for menopause prevention. Please post your experience if you are.

Following is some research on how rapamycin has proven to help in fertility:

Fertility

In terms of female fertility, there is already strong evidence in mice and rats that rapamycin delays (reverses?) reproductive aging in females.

Here are some such studies that report this benefit:

[Note: other compounds like Ca-AKG and NMN seem to also help with preservation of fertility (sources: 1, and 2). So perhaps an ideal approach would be to combine these three approaches.]

There are researchers who argue that rapamycin effectively “slows down time” from a biological growth and development perspective - while maintaining that potential for growth in the future. I’ve spoken to some academics at major US universities that are planning more studies focused on rapamycin and human fertility so its an area ripe for more research, but the preliminary evidence is very encouraging. It seems to me that preservation of fertility is easier and more likely than reversal of fertility loss, but of course, I could be wrong.

Menopause

If rapamycin is slowing fertility declines, then it suggests that it might also delay or prevent menopause. And while there is no research on this published that I can find, there are annecdotal reports that people are seeing this:

RapaMenopause

I just wanted to inform the group of an interesting ongoing small pilot study I’ve been doing at home. I’ve been feeding my chickens that I purchased in 2017 as chicks, rapamycin for the past two years on a periodic basis. One of the chickens died last year due to a plugged duct, which is a common problem. But prior to that, and with the one remaining chicken that is now on year 4 of egg production, the daily egg product is still up at the 90% to 95% daily laying schedule that is typical only of much younger chickens - 1 year olds, for example (see below). So my 4 year old chicken is laying eggs like a 1 year old chicken. Obviously, N=1 doesn’t mean too much, but the indication seems quite positive and supports all the research mentioned above.

What the Typical Egg Laying Ability Trend Line is for Chickens (No Rapamycin)

Chickens-Egg-Laying-Reducing-Over-Time

2 Likes

It seems that women to try rapamycin out for this purpose - and track results relatively easily using these techniques. It would be great if any women interested in trying this, to please report back on results…

Assessment of ovarian reserve

Blood tests

Depending on the individual couple’s situation, various blood tests on either the female or the male may be needed. Blood tests that might be needed include day 3 follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), estradiol (E2), AMH, prolactin, testosterone (T), progesterone (P4), 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP), thyroxin (T4), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).

If there is a history of recurrent miscarriages (2 or more) a lupus anticoagulant (LAC) and anti-cardiolipin antibody (ACL) are often done, as well as other tests.

Source: Basic Infertility Evaluation – Fertility Tests – Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago

Another site (reproductive facts.org ) suggests:

Ovarian Reserve Testing: When attempting to test for a woman’s ovarian reserve, the clinician is trying to predict whether she can produce an egg or eggs of good quality and how well her ovaries are responding to the hormonal signals from her brain. The most common test to evaluate ovarian reserve is a blood test for folliclestimulating hormone (FSH) drawn on cycle day 3. In addition to the FSH level, your physician may recommend other blood tests, such as estradiol, antimüllerian hormone (AMH), and/or inhibin-B, as well as a transvaginal ultrasound to do an antral follicle count (the number of follicles or egg sacs seen during the early part of a menstrual cycle).

Ovarian reserve testing is more important for women who have a higher risk of reduced ovarian reserve, such as women who:

1. are over age 35 years;
  2. have a family history of early menopause;
  3. have a single ovary;
  4. have a history of previous ovarian surgery, chemotherapy, or pelvic radiation therapy;
  5. have unexplained infertility; or
  6. have shown poor response to gonadotropin ovarian stimulation.

Other Blood Tests: Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and prolactin levels are useful to identify thyroid disorders and hyperprolactinemia, which may cause problems with fertility, menstrual irregularities, and repeated miscarriages. In women who are thought to have an increase in hirsutism (including hair on the face and/or down the middle of the chest or abdomen), blood tests for dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), 17-α hydroxyprogesterone, and total testosterone should be considered. A blood progesterone level drawn in the second half of the menstrual cycle can help document whether ovulation has occurred.

1 Like