Women may age fastest during their 30s and 50s (New Scientist)

A woman may be most likely to give birth in her 30s and go through the menopause in her 50s, with these life events causing hormonal changes that may accelerate ageing

Women tend to experience accelerated ageing around the ages of 30 and 50, according to a study that analysed a wide range of molecular and physical markers. This may be due to hormonal changes that occur when some women give birth or go through the menopause.

In recent years, there has been growing recognition that ageing doesn’t always progress at the same pace and certain factors, such as stress and smoking, can speed it up.
…

Intriguingly, the participants aged 45 and older who were on hormone replacement therapy to treat menopause symptoms seemed to display slower ageing than those who weren’t. “Hormone replacement therapy can alleviate the decline in circulating hormones, potentially slowing the rate of [ageing],” says Zhang.

Full article here: https://archive.ph/e5kOu

Related Research Paper:

Determining a multimodal aging clock in a cohort of Chinese women

https://www.cell.com/med/fulltext/S2666-6340(23)00197-6

Related Reading: Women Taking Rapamycin for Enhanced Fertility / Menopause Prevention?

3 Likes

To give birth in the 30s is late. Most women give birth in their 20s, unless this statistics about the U.S./Western European females who tend to give birth later.

2 Likes

Also hormone replacement therapy is implicated in a lot of cancer.

1 Like

I see this clinically with a high number of my patients. Hormone replacement seem to help with multiple factors. The studies with Rapa and delayed menopause seem c/w this theme. Of course weighing risks is part of the formula.

4 Likes

I’m trying to find the link to where I read this, but follow ups to that Women’s Health Initiative study that showed the link to cancer say that the increase in cancer risk was extremely small in absolute terms, especially compared to the health benefits from being on hrt.

1 Like

@jakexb, Peter Attia did a good podcast on the subject that I’ll try to find and share. I’ve been on bio identical estradiol for seven years (patch) and it’s done nothing but positive things for me personally.

4 Likes

This is a pretty in-depth and balanced interview that helped me feel better about my decision to use HRT.

5 Likes

I’m gonna go through that, thanks. Though I’ve got quite a bit of runway left. My MIL got breast cancer from it so I’m extra careful about it.

1 Like

@medaura, yes it’s a highly individual decision that has to be made carefully. For me at the time it was quality of life over quantity tbh. My bladder was starting to prolapse in my late 40’s which was far too young and I wasn’t keen on surgery or adult diapers. I was very, very hesitant though because of all the controversy.

2 Likes

On HR, How do you decide on the dose? How do you monitor its effect?

1 Like

@Jonas, I had my hormone levels checked by my family doc in 2016 which confirmed menopause and started on the estradiol patch. I do not have a uterus so progesterone isn’t necessary for me. He’s just adjusted my dosage based on the resolution of my symptoms of hot flashes, vaginal dryness/atrophy and sleep issues. I now just get my labs for sex hormones yearly. I use the minimal effective dose for me. The UK NICE guidelines are far superior to what we have in the US for some reason in my opinion and I read through those as well to help educate myself.

3 Likes