Rapamycin etc., Purchase Price Comparison Spreadsheet, and Issues Discussion

A few months ago I started to plan for a new purchase cycle of medicine, and also wanted to look at all the prices of things I might want to try in the near future. I was also curious about how all the vendors compared in terms of their pricing. So, I sent a list of medicines I was interested in, and asked for pricing given a 6 month to 12 month purchase volume on each of the medications (from the vendors on our list, and others that people have mentioned).

I put all the resulting information into a spreadsheet to make it easier to compare prices and get a feel for which vendors might work better for my shorter and longer term needs. At some point it became obvious that this is more work than I had hoped for… so I’m putting it out there and hoping that we can get some crowdsourced effort on this so we can complete the spreadsheet and everyone can benefit from it.

Some of the issues I’ve realize that we face with this type of effort, that we can easily overcome with a little research, are as follows:

1. We really don’t have a good list of the best/most reliable/highest quality Indian Pharma companies right now. We need to pull together this list. Perhaps starting with this list: Pharma - Top 10 Pharma Companies in India by Market Capitalization - GlobalData

While I know the vendors / Pharma companies I want to use for some medicines, but not for others… so while I might like Sirolimus from Zydus and Biocon, beyond that I’m not sure who to trust, and which one is a backyard “Pharma” company in India or a guy putting medicines together in his bathroom. See the list further down in this thread of the major Indian Pharma companies that export to the USA and Europe and generally meet those country quality standards. Its a list of about 10 companies.

1. When you ask these guys in India for a quote, even if you know the brand name you want, they will come back with a quote and a price for something that is from a Pharma company you’ve never heard of. It takes time and effort to research each of these “new” companies to see if you can find any data on the quality of the company behind them (and of course, even then its hard to judge). Again - I would only go with the major Indian Pharma companies that sell in the USA and Europe.

2. When ultimately deciding on what vendor to choose, it gets complicated if your purchase plan is for anything more than 1 or 2 medications. You have to factor in which vendor has which of the more preferable brands that you want, you have to decide how to compare the slightly lower price of one medicine from a lesser known brand, with the higher price from a better known brand. You have to figure out how many tablets, etc. you can reasonably expect to import into your country without problems (a guess at the best of times).

3. Refrigeration for Medications: Some medications (typically injection medication) like Repatha, Secukinumab (see this skin aging article, I’m considering using this for micro needling in skin) need to be refrigerated. Many vendors seem to not know this, or not pay attention to this… so I would really wonder if its going to be still an active medication when you get it, (given the typical heat levels in India, and over a 2 to 4 week shipment period). I wonder how much degradation you see in the bioavailability of these types of product. Some (larger) vendors seem to know about this need, let you know, and don’t suggest you ship to your country if further away from India (it may be fine if you’re shipping from India to Dubai, but not so great when shipping to the USA). It would be great to build up a knowledgebase on vendors and quality of these injectables and how well they survive shipment times. For years I’ve thrown out medications after their expiry date, but how much money did I waste doing this: Drug Expiration Dates — Do They Mean Anything? - Harvard Health. Repatha is about $400+ per month, and hard to get in the USA vs. $140/month in India - so the savings could be significant if it travels better than advertised.

4. You have to factor in cost of shipment (some companies charge high rates for the shipment, to make up for lower price), and what payment approaches the vendor supports (Crypto, Zelle, wire transfer/wise, PayPal, etc.).

5. The person giving you a quote makes mistakes… they sometimes give you the basic version of the drug (e.g. regular metformin) when you want the Slow Release, or “Extended Release” version… and it takes a few back and forth emails to figure this out.

6. Ultimately if you’re purchasing more than a couple of medications you may want to split up the purchase between multiple vendors that have the medications you want, from the brands you prefer.

So - I thought I’d share the spreadsheet as it is. And I’d like to invite one or two people who may be interested, to help manage and update this spreadsheet a bit over the coming year. Let me know (send me a DM) if you might be willing to volunteer for this effort.

Special thanks to @adssx because he was the first person I’ve shared this spreadsheet with, he’s done some upgrades to it, but ultimately we both realized this is more work than we have time for right now, but he convinced me that the community here would likely benefit from it even in its current state.

Longer term I think we may want to do these types of price comparison summaries for every longevity product category (blood testing - as we’ve sort of done here for blood sirolimus levels), Exogenous Ketone Ester drinks and supplements and more (Ketone drink info here), Dexa Scans, Full Body MRIs, Skin Treatment Products/services, etc.

If you’re interested in helping me in this effort (if you’re buying the product or service already, and doing your own pricing comparison, why not share it with everyone in a spreadsheet that others can add to and update?), please DM me. If you have ideas on how to improve the spreadsheet - please post them below.

Perhaps this is the type of thing that AI will help us with - in terms of organizing the data, and querying the data in the spreadsheet? It would be nice to be able to ask AI (given the data we provide in the spreadsheet), “What are the two least expensive vendors for canagliflozing from a high quality manufacturer?” It seems like AI is going to be very useful for these situations where you want to get answers back based on queries of private datasets… if you see an App or website that is optimized around this sort of thing, please post some information on it below.

The simple fact is that for most of us, there are far many more longevity treatment drugs, supplements , tests and services than we have disposable income to spend, so we need to find the best deals we can, after identifying the best categories we want to use. Good price comparisons will help us do this.

Here is the spreadsheet as it is right now:

15 Likes

AI is going to report you to the authorities for importing medicines.

I don’t see Kachhela Medex. For instance, I bought 300 50mg arcabose (HiBose) for $30.

1 Like

Thank you! This is very helpful.

2 Likes

FWIW: Kachhela Medex is the only Indian pharmacy that I have had a problem with delivery. They sent my order to someone else. They eventually made good, but there is so much competition that I will drop a vendor over a mistake like this. Good thing I didn’t need my medication in a timely manner.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for creating this doc; I can confirm it’s tremendous work. Hopefully, it can help to increase competition, drive the price down, and improve the quality of the service.

2 Likes

Also, something that’s hard to quantify is the response time. I messaged Jagdish (RL Pharma), Rite Care, Holystics, and Oddway on Saturday. Holystics answered in a few minutes. Rite Care and Oddway answered on Monday after 48 hours. Jagdish still hasn’t got back to me.

4 Likes

Ah - thats so variable and random though, n=1 doesn’t mean much in this situation. There is probably quite a variation in size of these businesses, I suspect. Oddway seems pretty large by these types of shop standards (i.e. more than a dozen people) and reasonably professional, but more expensive. Many of the other ones seem like just small single person businesses… working out of their apartments. It may be like the startup world here in the Bay Area where many of them used to work for Oddway and decided to spin out and start their own businesses (just like there are a ton of spinouts from Google and Facebook here).

But the smaller ones - if they are home and working when they get your message I bet they respond quickly, if they are busy (sleeping?) or on vacation, then they will take longer, or if they are really busy they may never get back to you.

2 Likes

Of course it’s n=1, that’s why I’d love to gather feedback from others on who’s most responsive. Ideally we want an Amazon-like experience: good quality, responsive, instant payment, speedy delivery. Long way to go but I’m sure increasing competition will help. Hopefully for instance, one India pharma will specialize in longevity drugs (basically those in the list) from good labs (TBD) and will cater only to non-Indians (with I guess a focus on US + Europe) to provide a better service at a better price.

2 Likes

I have never had a problem with responses from any of the pharmas. Jagdish usually responds the same day depending on your time zone. He has never taken more than two days to respond. N=1

1 Like

I guess it’s because I messaged him on Telegram instead of WhatsApp. But his contact details show Telegram and the app says “last seen today” so… Good to know, I’ll try WhatsApp or email next time!

I have emailed jagdish as I don’t do the other apps and he has always gotten back to me in 2 days max. usually 1 day.

1 Like

I think WhatsApp is the default communications tool for virtually all the vendors. They always tell me to contact them via WhatsApp and are very communicative there (to a fault… contacting and calling me almost every day after I ask for a quote.

3 Likes

I have been buying from Jagdish for 2 years. , he is very reliable and great prices for all drugs

1 Like

Luckily (for those of us that don’t want our metadata leaked to Meta/Facebook) many of the more tech savvy vendors now use Signal as well. It’s true that WhatsApp is far more common, but there are better options for privacy/security focused users:

I expect that Signal will slowly start to capture more market share once the username feature (which will allow you to keep your phone number private) leaves staging and is released to the masses.

3 Likes

Looks like hooking LLMs to Spreadsheets is non-trivial compared to things like PDFs and other non-structured text. (Kind of the opposite of traditional programming).

Here’s a couple of resources if someone wants to dive in;

3 Likes

Sometimes Jagdish misses an email of mine. If you email him again, he will probably respond.

Thanks. I messaged him on WhatsApp, and he answered right away and said he prefers email. Good to know.

2 Likes

I can add my distributor Safe Overseas for Rapacan 1mg by Biocon. Their price per tablet is ~ $0.62. I’ve purchased from them for close to a year and find them to be very efficient with good customer service skills.

Email: safeoverseas22@gmail.com

Another distributor is Lifebelt Sales. Their price per tablet back in August 2023 was ~ $0.54. They are also very efficient and have purchased from them for over a year, but they use only WISE for payment services. YOU MUST NEVER USE “SUPPLEMENTS” OR “MEDICINAL” AS THE REASON FOR PURCHASE (even when told by the Lifebelt Sales Rep). WISE WILL BAN YOU FOR LIFE (which is why I now use Safe Overseas :joy:)

Email: sales@lifebeltcorporation.com

Of course shipping is additional and have found it to be no more than ~$45.00 for both distributors.

5 Likes

That is a helpful tool for ordering meds from India. I think I paid around $85 + $35 shipping for 100, 1mg tablets of Biocon Rapamycin from G.P. Pharma.

A pet peeve of mine, working in tech industry from 1981-2019. There is no AI. That is a marketing term designed to generate interest and increase sales of hardware and software products. Database programs have been around since like, FORTRAN and BASIC in the 1960’s and 70’s. The term AI is it is used now would be like saying that IBM mainframes that controlled air transportation in the 1970’s used AI. What is incorrectly called AI now are simply database computer programs, with a fancy front end that is better at understanding human language input, and providing human readable output. Under the hood, it’s still structured query with look up tables, arrays and records and cross referencing. The term AI used correctly denotes artificially intelligent software, i.e. software that thinks on it’s own and acts with it’s own sense of agency.

7 Likes

agree 100% that a lot of what is termed “AI”, especially in med tech, is just linked databases, structured & queried well.
I expect some of the “next big things” to be from the big guys that bought the most data - Apple has all that Apple Health personal data, Google bought Fitbit & its decades of personal data, then the smaller ones like Ancestry, 23andMe, Oura, Zoe, Whoop, Viome, etc, mostly paid services by the consumer, who give up their data for free.

1 Like