β-Hydroxybutyrate suppresses colorectal cancer

More good news on cancer prevention strategies / therapeutics:

the research paper:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04649-6

I have read a little about exogenous ketone products over the past few years, and seen a lot of hype in the market for these products, but had not seen much in terms of research that would backup the value of these products relative to their high cost.

This is the first really good research that I’ve seen (but I haven’t looked much to be honest). Is there anyone out there with more knowledge and expertise in this area who can comment on the value of these types of products in this application?

Here are some overviews and articles I’ve seen on exogenous ketones:

2 Likes

I’ve got hundreds of papers on ketones, both endogenous dietary/fasting (what I do) and exogenous (just a quick “hit”) and health benefits.

Talking with many researchers, inducing ketosis diet/fasting is far superior, but of course, way harder to implement in practice.

But this is a Rapamycin forum. :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

I know that taking exogenous ketones might help you get into ketosis more quickly, for those following or trying to follow a keto diet. Its just that this is the first real paper I’ve seen that suggests significant benefits from a health perspective of the exogenous ketones.

I know they are expensive as they are currently marketed - so still not at all obvious if they are worth the trouble, given anyone can go on a keto diet.

Am I missing anything here on the issue of supplementing with exogenous ketones (powders and drinks)?

Seems like a high price, for pretty minimal benefit

1 Like

Still early days for exogenous ketones.

“Although preliminary results are encouraging (ME: raising blood BHB, reducing glucose, maintaining lipids), further studies are needed to determine if oral ketone supplementation can produce the same therapeutic benefits as the classic KD in the broad-spectrum of KD-responsive disease states”

4 Likes

“Still early days for exogenous ketones”

So, I’m old. Can’t afford to wait until the train leaves the station. (If any of this stuff kills me, I’ll let you know) (LOL)

β-Hydroxybutyrate is a supplement I originally started taking on and off when I was doing a ketogenic diet to help induce ketosis.

Turns out, it may have some pretty significant benefits as regards, aging, sarcopenia, Alzheimer’s, etc.

I take the potassium form because it is readily dissolvable in water and is not particularly nasty tasting. It will also produce an almost immediate drop in blood sugar levels. Any of the BHB salts can cause an electrolyte imbalance, so blood markers should be monitored. My blood potassium has always been in the normal range. Of the four common BHB salts, potassium BHB is the best fit for me. I certainly don’t need any more sodium and I get plenty of calcium and I take another kind of magnesium supplement.
I dissolve 5 gms in ~1 oz. water and just toss it back.
I choose not to use various flavored BHB products because just adds some things that I am not interested in.

β-Hydroxybutyrate
“The hypothesis that BHB may play a broad role in regulating longevity and the effects of aging comes in part from the observation that many of the interventions that most consistently extend longevity across a wide range of organisms, such as dietary restriction and fasting, intrinsically involve ketogenesis and the production of BHB in mammals.”

β-hydroxybutyrate as an Anti-Aging Metabolite

β-Hydroxybutyrate Suppresses Lipid Accumulation in Aged Liver through GPR109A-mediated Signaling

2 Likes

Did you notice any effects on blood glucose or HDL while you were on it?

1 Like

By blood glucose, I mean a sustained response or just a temporary drop after taking it.

I am currently taking ~5 gms of potassium BHB early every morning while my coffee is brewing.

Most days I do 18/6 time-restricted eating, not because I think there is anything special about 18/6, it is just natural for me. So, today when I tested about an hour after I got up, my blood glucose was 106, an hour after taking BHB my blood glucose was 92. I am sure this is temporary because the cycle repeats almost exactly every day. For me, I rely on the A1c as a more reliable marker than a spot check.

As for HDL, I never noticed anything until I start taking rapamycin. As you can see my HDL took an upward jump after I started rapamycin. The last test in may shows a jump to 60.

3 Likes