Simple Introduction - 35 Year Old Software Engineer

Hello!

I recently came across this community and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Mathew. I’m a 35 year old software engineer from Canada and I will soon start taking Rapamycin with the hope of extending my healthspan.

I’ll be visiting Dr Green’s clinic next month although I’m still unsure of the dosage I want to start with. Any recommendations?

You guys seem to have an incredible amount of data and experience and I’m looking forward to sharing my thoughts and feedback with you all.

Cheers!

5 Likes

I’m also a software developer and planning to start take rapamycin this year. Let’s keep in touch.

Here is a great post with lots of information.

2 Likes

I (m/47) just took my first dose today (2mg) and after that experience I would say to start low and build up gradually from there.

To be honest I probably wouldn’t take rapamycin at your age just yet, I’m probably taking it too young even, in mice that get rapamycin from about the equivalent of 65 years benefit as much as mice that get it from the equivalent of 18 years old

2 Likes

I would have taken it at 35 if I could have years ago. All maturity growth is done and slowing deterioration from that point on would be great.

Our main thread on this issue:

3 Likes

I would have done EVERYTHING I am doing now much younger if I knew what I knew now. I’ve never been in better shape or felt better at 57, imagine if I started in my twenties?

5 Likes

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I think the general theory that is popular in the (small) Rapamycin-oriented medical community is that lower doses are better when you are younger. Higher doses when you’re older (up to a point) - after a certain age, depending upon your physical condition - the older you are the harder it is to dose rapamycin because of complications of polypharmacy (taking many different medications, and the issue of potential conflicts/counterindications in the drugs).

We have a 24 year old PHD student here who is taking (last time I heard) 3mg/rapamcyin per week (perhaps @Guywholikessleep can update us on his doing), with a biological age of 16. We have a guy who is in his mid thirties taking Rapamycin who now has a biological age of 11.

In the last video conference call with Matt Kaeberlein, Dr. Green and Blagosklonny a week or so ago, I heard that Dr. Green, who is now 79 years old, is taking two days of 12 mg of rapamycin every 12 days or so. Not that we have a lot of data on this in humans, but given the state of the human clinical trials (minimal), from a risk/reward perspective it is reasonable to not risk high doses of rapamycin at an early age. In a few years we’ll have a lot better data, and at 35 you aren’t losing a ton of function due to aging during that period.

So - read up, please do full blood work and calculate your biological age before, and then again after you’ve been taking rapamycin and post here in the forum.

4 Likes

Thanks all for the warm welcome and valuable info! :pray:
Will keep you updated on my progress.

1 Like

@mcormier Welcome to the community, fellow Canuck (Toronto). Since you’re into software, this is THE perfect place for you. You cannot change your genes (hardware), but everything else you do will impact your epigenetics (software) and lifelong health trajectory. Go at it!

2 Likes

I’ve been a patient of Dr Green for about 3 years. I would go with his recommendation for dosage. Actually since it’s a prescription drug you really won’t have a choice unless you can get another prescription or buy some from India which I don’t necessarily recommend.

Of the three, Matt, Dr B, and Dr Green, Dr Green is the one with the clinical experience with hundreds of patients. I know him both as my doctor and as a friend and I trust his judgment. He’s one of the best analyzers of research papers that I ever worked with.

I’m 70 years old, and I’ve been taking 6 mg a week for 3 years and have seen significant positive results from that dosage. More is not necessarily better. I’m not saying it’s worse, but No one really knows the optimal dose. It’s all pretty much guesswork at this point.

4 Likes

I will try to find the reference, but while rapamycin seems to have good effects even in older organisms, protecting blood stem cells only seemed to work when started in young organisms. So there is some benefit in starting earlier rather than later.

1 Like

Hi @jakexb welcome to the site and thanks for participating. yes - rapamycin seems to slow down aging of blood stem cells but not reverse the aging. This is true in many situations - e.g. hearing, etc.

So there is a good case to be made that taking rapamycin sooner rather than later is a good idea.

1 Like

Update:

I just got back from New York with a prescription of 4mg/week. I will begin at 2mg/week for the first few weeks and increase the dose if I don’t notice any side effects.

I also made a 0.004% topical cream which I will apply daily. I made it based on @Methuselah’s amazing post.

Finally, I did the Levine biological age test and my result is 32.25 years old. Not great, not terrible.

Chernobyl Not Great Not Terrible GIF - Chernobyl Not Great Not Terrible Its Okay - Discover & Share GIFs

I begin my first dose tomorrow. Let’s see how it goes.

4 Likes

Good to hear things are progressing. I suggest you try to do the requisite blood tests to do the Levine Phenotypic biological age test again in 4 to 6 months. If you so, please post results.

1 Like

Welcome to the site! You might look at some of @tongMD posts since he has a software background and a doctor about your age. He is methodical and comprehensive on why and what he takes.

Good luck!

3 Likes

How is it going with your journey. Would be interesting to get an update regardless if it’s good or bad :pray: Super curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will write an update soon after I’ve done my blood tests. Though I can say that it is going quite smoothly so far. Almost no adverse side effects, more energy and some weight loss.

4 Likes