21 Year Old Female on Rapamycin for 7 months

Hello all. New here. Love the forum!

I’ve been taking 4mg rapamycin every week for the last 7 months. I’m just wondering if there is anyone else in their 20s or early 30s taking rapamycin as well? If so what is your dose? I get a lot of criticism for starting anti aging medications at a young age however I firmly believe aging starts in the womb and continues until we die. I don’t want to age. I want to stop growth as much as possible before it even begins.

If you were my age would you start rapamycin or wait until you’re older? I read some mice study that the early the treatment was started, the higher the lifespan. Can’t find that study but I’ll try finding it and link it soon.

I’m also thinking about adding some more supplements to help with aging, please suggest some if you can. I was taking metformin but I stopped due to drama about it cancelling out exercise benefits.

No side effects, clear skin, more energy.

Nice to meet everyone.

14 Likes

Trust me on this: Start young. All of the rapamycin animal studies that I have read indicate that starting young is better. I certainly wish I had had more of a head start. Pay no attention to the criticism of others. You are absolutely right to start young.

8 Likes

Hi, and welcome to the forums. What country are you in? We’re seeing a lot more people in their twenties here, which to be honest is when I think most of us would probably have started rapamycin if we could have (I certainly would have). A low dose like 4mg/week seems like a reasonable place to start (depending upon a person’s weight - the lower the weight, the lower the dose). Track your side effects, if any, and you can always ramp the dose down or pause it, if you see any negative repercussions or unacceptable side effects. So far it sounds like things are going well for you.

Yes - there are many benefits in the research that suggest earlier in life (for starting rapamycin) is better (at least after 20 years old or so - not during childhood because it would could slow or stop growth and development).

I would recommend doing a blood test periodically to check on key blood markers, and to see how you are doing in terms of biological age. You can see the discussions around this and the logic behind it, in past discussions like these:
Here: Simple Introduction - 35 Year Old Software Engineer
Here: Another Introduction - 56 Year Old Health Enthusiast

Please join in the discussions, Let us know how things go as you continue your protocols. You can see what other things people are taking in this thread: Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?
and another thread here: Your Rapamycin / Metformin / Supplement Stack?

Hope that helps

9 Likes

Personally, I think glycine, vitamin D (1,000 IU), and Omega-3s are a solid trifecta of supplements that everyone should be taking. Beyond those three, I think it depends on your diet, lifestyle, goals, age, and any health condition(s).

Also if you are taking Rapamycin, low-dose Metformin is very synergistic but may not be for you if you exercise heavily.

If you want ideas for supplements, there’s a whole thread on it here: Your Rapamycin / Metformin / Supplement Stack? - #2 by RapAdmin

1 Like

If nothing else you’re smart to be thinking about your long term health at such a young age. Most people your age basically consider themselves to be immortal and ignore their health. So congratulations and good luck on your journey!

6 Likes

Thank you for the lovely replies everyone! I appreciate the awesome advice.

Yes I agree. Young people think they live forever. I use to think that 2 years ago when I was 19 , until I watched both my grandparents suffer with arthritis, dementia & cancer. They’re both dead now. I only have 1 grandparent left on my dads side. She’s 79 with kidney issues, arthritis, can barely walk, and is on 10 different medications to keep her alive, and is losing her mobility more and more daily. Watching your family members or loved one suffer from the side effects of aging is torture. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. That is why I’m starting an anti aging protocol at my young age.

5 Likes

Great advice. I’ll give those supplements a try, especially vitamin D as I don’t go in the sun that much. And I think I’ll continue metformin a few days after taking my rapamycin dose. Thanks!

Totally agree. My doctor, friends, parents told me to wait until I’m in my 40s / 50s and I’m like if the average human lifespan is only 78 in some countries , why would I wait that long to start my anti aging protocol?! Over half my life gone! Thanks for giving me motivation to keep going :slight_smile:

I’m glad to see you taking rapamycin as well, I wish my grandma did but she is scared of interactions between her medications. I heard rapamycin also extends elderly mice lives as well. Never too late to start. Good on you sir!

2 Likes

My concern for people taking rapamycin in their 20s is that bone density continues to increase until about 30. Would taking rapamycin in 20s reduce bone density growth? If so, that would not be good.

Here’s an article on rapamycin’s negative effect on bone accrual in young adult mice.

2 Likes

One benefit from my weekly blood tests is that I get a 25OHD Vitamin D measure each week (roughly) from that I know if I wish to keep my Vitamin D levels near the top of the range 3,000 iu of an oil based capsule is not enough. I way around 82-4kg and am 62, but I would be surprised if 1,000 iu could keep Vitamin D at a higher level unless someone is also regularly sunbathing.

1 Like

I had been taking 5000 IU, but then the blood tests showed too high of a level. I believe that 1000-2000 IU is best for most.

Interesting, and something to watch, but I’m not sure how relevant this study is.

The study used extremely young mice (16 weeks old, equivalent to approximately 3 years old in human terms) on very high doses of rapamycin (mice were given 4mg/kg by injection, equivalent to 200+mg rapamycin for a 50kg/120lb human), given every two days. This is nothing at all like the anti-aging protocols for rapamycin or what we are discussing here in terms of doses, ages, or frequency:

Mice were genotyped at approximately 18 days of age and separated at weaning. At age 16–20 weeks old, WT and Nrf2−/− mice were randomized into one of two treatment conditions, rapamycin or vehicle. Mice treated with rapamycin received intraperitoneal injection of rapamycin (dissolved in ethanol then diluted with vehicle containing 5% Tween 80 and 5% PEG4000) at a dosage of 4 mg/kg [34]. The dosing was given every other day for a duration of 12 weeks.

4 Likes

I think no-one should take omega 3 supplements, virtually all are rancid yet expensive and they can easily be obtained fresh from cheap wholefoods like canned cod liver

2 Likes

Why do you think they are all rancid? The article I read stated that 10% were rancid.

Labdoor did the analysis in the report I read. The link is copied below. If you order your supplements from a reputable supplier, you should be golden. I use NOW brands. While they may not be the best, they are usually quite good for the cost.

10% rancidity is quite low. I have seen some supplements like NMN where most brands are fake!

1 Like

Eg here and even when supplements are not rancid at testing doesn’t mean they can’t get rancid during storage, canned cod liver cannot go rancid as long as the can is sealed and it’s cheap…

1 Like

Yes, that study said that in 2009 the majority of Omega 3 supplements in South Africa were rancid at 73%. The report said that there were major improvements and that rate went down to 44% in 2012. Labdoor tested within the last several years and found the rate at 10%. So it seems that the quality and storage is improving.

However, I agree that it is best to get your omega 3s from fish directly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know for anyone else. I do know for myself. I am taller than most people, but I would not think that this would massively increase Vitamin D usage.

50% of Americans, and by assumption the global population, are deficient in vitamin D. To test your levels are quite costly, so it’s best just to take a low dose vitamin D supplement to cover your bases. If you choose a higher dose for yourself, that’s just fine. FYI 5000 IU was too much for me, my mother and my father. So, I recommend 1-2k IU.

According to the article below, 3 - 6 months old mice are equivalent to 20 - 30 years old humans. The mouse study used 16 - 20 weeks old mice, which were about 4 - 5 months old. The study also called these mice “young adult mice.”

I am in late 20s, I’ve taken rapamycin for 1 year.

I agree you that aging starts very early in life, I had my first gray hair in about 22, I cut gray hairs out, but then the graying process accelerated exponentially every year, during the short 2-3 years, they became too much that I couldn’t simply cut them out, it shocked me.

I think gray hair is one easily identified ageing phenotype, melanocyte stem cells disappear as we aging, in the last 1 years, I started taking rapamycin, I observed my graying process slowed down, but the already gray hairs were not reversed to the black hairs.

Ageing is hard to be reversed, rapamycin, as a geroprotective drug in many animal models, I believe we should take geroprotective therapy as early as possible, because it’s hard to reverse aging but relatively easy to slow it down.

4 Likes