Interested in starting Rapamycin (in SF Bay Area)

Hi All,

I’m interested in trying Rapamycin. I live in the SF Bay Area and was disappointed not to see a local doctor on the list provided here. I can travel if needed, but was curious what others from this area had done in terms of getting a prescription (or not).

Also, are there any consensus best practices / tests for getting a baseline before starting Rapamycin (to compare with later tests).

For those ordering abroad (e.g. in India), have there been concerns about quality control / purity?

I’m middle aged (50+), plant based, and have been taking MNM for a couple of months, in case that matters.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Nick

4 Likes

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting… I can relate to your situation…

I find it utterly bizarre that the SF Bay Area is home to major universities and institutes (e.g. Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF, Buck Institute) that do a lot of research into the biology of aging, and the Bay Area is home to most of the Longevity Biotech startup companies, and we have the most educated and motivated potential users of longevity drugs, but there are no doctors here that prescribe rapamycin…(at least that I can find).

I have Buck Institute and UCSF longevity researchers contacting me to find out how they too can get rapamycin… its truly bizarre that the mainstream medical community here is so far behind.

Yes - I’m in the same situation as you and I just ended up buying from India, and giving all my research to my doctor to let them know what I’m doing.

If I were looking to start now (I’ve been on rapamycin for almost 3 years now) , I’d go to Healthspan or Push Health. See here:

and here: Doctors Who Prescribe Rapamycin (part 2)

Quality control is an issue with all generic drugs - whether purchased in the US or elsewhere… but we have tested the Indian sources: Rapamycin / Sirolimus from India, Lab Test Report on Quality / Purity

General issues with generic medications: Why and How to Test Your Rapamycin for Purity, Dosage and Contaminants

My benefits I’ve seen are in this post, see: “My experience using rapamycin for 2 years+”
here: Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

But my LDL is up about 30% and I need to get that down - so I’m adding a statin and looking at other things for it.

I would definitely recommend getting some good blood testing done before you start rapamycin. We’re having a friendly “biological clock reversal” contest, and the more the entrants the better. See here: A Friendly, Biological Age Reduction Competition?

Also - a recent post by another new person to rapamycin is here - it should get you up to speed on a lot of things: Another Introduction - 56 Year Old Health Enthusiast

and more generally, if you haven’t already, I’d recommend reading up on the Rapamycin FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions and Answers) to get up to speed on rapamycin quickly.

Oh - and also, for tracking blood work - some ideas: Spreadsheet Template for Longitudinal Blood Work tracking

RapAdmin wrote: But my LDL is up about 30% and I need to get that down - so I’m adding a statin and looking at other things for it.

Are you sure that is a problem? That is not unusual. Statins can be horrible according to Attia and Kaeberlein.

My LDL-C has been up since going on Rapamycin, but no indication of arthrocleurosis.

Have you done or thought of Coronary Calcium Scan? Just curious.

FWIW, review the following;

1 Like

This has been and still is being discussed at length here:

For me, the ultimate take-away is that we don’t have enough solid research (yet) with rapamycin (or mTOR, or mTOR inhibitors in general) to navigate safely among the decades of evidence gathered about the risks (CVD, T2D and cancer) involved at different doses, for different species, sexes and ages. It still is okay to make our little n=1 trials, but if we have to ignore mountains of evidence for that, it definitely goes beyond the principles or boundaries of science, and even great personal successes won’t be really useful for the community.

2 Likes

Very well done. If we look at absolute risk reduction from LDL lowering, it appears to be minuscule, if at all.
I’ve read in other studies that LDL serves a protective role against microorganisms. This would be important in the presence of rapamycin against bacterial infections.
It was fascinating that mental stress can increase cholesterol levels substantially in just 30 minutes
It’s noteworthy that in 140,000 heart attack patients that their LDL’s were lower than normal. I guess the argument will be made that atherosclerosis was gobbling up the particles to such a degree that it lowered their blood levels.

3 Likes