Side Effect Query-Skin swelling and redness

Long time lurker first time poster.

Was on 2mg a week for a month but noticed some external (relatively slight but detectable when looking for it) localised swelling by mouth on cheek. Was put on antibiotics and thereafter anti fungal as the dermatologist didn’t know what was cause for swelling. Had a ultrasound and no structural issues or fluid retention-so just soft tissue response to something. I think it’s Rapa related?

Went off regime for a month. The slight swelling still present. Did not want to completely abandon Rapa and esp if swelling unrelated so went down to 1mg a week. Started again last week-Saturday specifically. Circular redness appeared near the swelling (just below so around edge of chin) this morning (so just under 3 days later).

I’m beginning to think this isn’t for me as not sure I want the cosmetic hassle on such a low dose with uncertain results.

Anyone else ever experienced such symptoms and did they ever reduce in time? Am I being too hasty?

2 Likes

Hi Toby, welcome to the forums! those are rather unusual side effects, if in fact they are being caused by rapamycin. If I were to experience these issues I would probably pause rapamycin until the issue cleared up (its not clear whether they are at all associated with rapamycin, but I’d like to see them clear up, so then I could start a rapamycin trial again anew, starting with 1mg, then working up as has been documented in our dosing thread here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

Generally its also a good idea to do blood tests prior to starting rapamycin so you know how things are going and to establish a baseline prior to testing rapamycin. See these threads for good example of these types of “pre-testing” that people are doing:

Here: My Lab and Fitness Results After 3 months of Rapamycin Use

Here: What blood tests are people taking?, Any rapamycin specific ones?

Here: While on Rapa—what should I measure?

Here: Impressive Biological Age Reductions with Rapamycin (anecdotal)

Oh, and if you haven’t see these already, you may want to review the benefits and side effects that people are reporting, just so you can watch out for them (the possible pros and cons):

Here: Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

Here: Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

1 Like

see @DeStrider’s topic and my reply

4 Likes