Parkinson's disease

Has anyone had experience with taking rapamycin in relation to Parkinson’s?

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in December 2020 & confirmed again by Datscan in January 2021.
I do not take any medication but use alternative healing methods successfully.
see www.parkinsonclub.de

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the site. We had a thread a short while ago on this topic Rapamycin and Parkinson's disease

1 Like

two days ago i took my first weekly dose of 5mg, let’s see if the parkinsonsyptoms change.

6 Likes

I have been taking 5mg of Rapamycin every week now since the end of March 2023. I have not noticed any changes in my Parkinson’s disease so far. However, my health condition is very stable. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in December 2020. I do not take any medication until today. www.parkinsonclub.de

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. If the same happened to me, compounds I would look into (in addition to rapamycin) include melatonin, carnosine, astaxanthin (all OTC compounds in the US) which exert antioxidant effects in the brain.

Melatonin looks promising and has decades of research:
Review 2005
More recent Review 2021

• “In studies on animal models of PD melatonin was effective to curtail symptomatology in doses that allometrically projected to humans were in the 40–100 mg/day range”

(I am limited to 2 links in post as new user)

5 Likes

table from https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.650597/pdf

There’s also been a long running thread on melatonin here Melatonin megadoses?

5 Likes

Hi @TomParkinson, have you looked at Ambroxol by any chance? I cannot find side effects or contraindications of this cheap OTC coughing medicine. It’s currently trialled (phase 3) as a disease-modifying treatment for Parkinson’s, after a successful phase 2 trial. See also the following papers:

6 Likes

I also found this review interesting: Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Parkinson Symptom Severity and Use of Nutraceuticals

They asked 1,084 Parkinson’s patients which supplements they took and followed the progression of their symptoms. It’s purely self-reported and prone to a lot of confounders, but the conclusion is: “Nutraceuticals associated with improved outcomes were Ginkgo biloba (GB), NAD+ or its precursors, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, glutathione, mucuna, CoQ10, low dose lithium, curcumin, homocysteine factors, DHEA, coconut oil, vitamin C, and omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).”

Taurine, astaxanthin, and sulforaphane were not part of the survey (or maybe not used by the participants), but they may be worth exploring:

4 Likes

Hello Lin,
thank you very much for the information.
I have also planned to take melatonin.
However, at the moment I am trying out other therapies and still need time for this. My condition is very stable with slight improvements. Therefore, I do not have very much pressure.
Many, many thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hello adssx,
thank you very much for the information.
I have already planned to take Ambroxol.
I also have Ambroxol at home. However, I am still waiting to see what the study results will bring.
However, at the moment I am trying out other therapies and still need time for this. My condition is very stable with slight improvements.
Therefore, I do not have very much pressure.
Many, many thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hello adssx,
I know the list with the nutritional supplements.
I already take some of them.
Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Glad to hear this!

What’s your current stack?

Some people also report improvements with red light therapy. This medical device is for instance approved for Parkinson’s: Parkinson's Treatment For Home Use - PDCare Laser | LED Light Therapy – SYMBYX Biome

There’s another thread on selegiline that may interest you: Anyone taking Selegiline / Deprenyl For Longevity?

Selegiline is a Parkinson’s drug at 10 mg/d (swallowed, equivalent to 1.25mg in oral dissolving tablets) but at low-dose (1mg/day swallowed) it may have life extension properties and may prevent or slow down Parkinson’s. It’s still unclear whether selegiline and rasagiline have disease-modifying properties for Parkinson’s because trials showed an inverted U shape relationship: low rasagiline doses seemed to slow down the progression while high doses did not. The FDA considered that the absence of a dose dependent relationship proved that it wasn’t a DMT but you would argue the opposite: it’s consistent with trials of selegiline on mice that showed an inverted U shape as well: no impact on longevity for super low doses, positive impact for low/medium doses and negative impact for high doses.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Impressive: congrats!

This new paper may revolutionize the way we understand Parkinson’s disease: Parkinson's Onset Theory Challenged: Synaptic Dysfunction Before Neuron Death - Neuroscience News

“Contrary to the widely held belief that Parkinson’s disease originates from the degeneration of dopaminergic neurons, a new study suggests a precursor: synaptic dysfunction. […] Based on these findings, we hypothesize that targeting dysfunctional synapses before the neurons are degenerated may represent a better therapeutic strategy.”

If you ask ChatGPT how to enhance synaptic activity, you’ll get the usual suspects: Omega3, antioxidants, exercise, meditation, learning new things, reading and problem-solving, vitamins B and D, and cognitive behavioral therapy. But also nootropics, antidepressants, neurofeedback, deep brain stimulation (DBS), and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

It seems that smoking increases synaptic dopamine, which may explain why smokers tend to be protected from Parkinson’s disease? Tobacco smoking and dopaminergic function in humans: a meta-analysis of molecular imaging studies | Psychopharmacology

According to this Japanese team, selegiline may recover synaptic plasticity in rodent models of Parkinson’s and depression:

Same for red light therapy according to this 2023 Korean paper: Photobiomodulation improves the synapses and cognitive function and ameliorates epileptic seizure by inhibiting downregulation of Nlgn3

I’d love to see a detailed review of all potential synaptic enhancing interventions, ranked by certainty / potency / cost.

2 Likes

Not an expert, but Jay Lombard is

I have recently been implementing cold showers and sauna. These are reputed to have positive impact. Good luck!

2 Likes

@TomParkinson: do you have any positive experience with altitude?

Many Parkinson’s patients report that they improve when taking a plane or going to the mountains. See, for instance: Finding a talisman – The Science of Parkinson's

Altitude is HYPObaric, so people assume that the reason is because of the hypoxic environment, which could activate autophagy (same as intense exercise?).

There’s an ongoing clinical trial: TALISMAN-1: Parkinsonsymptomen beïnvloeden door een verblijf op hoogte - ParkinsonNEXT

If true, the extreme option would be to move to a place in altitude (another positive point: less pollution), but I wonder if regular trips to the mountain for holidays can also have a positive impact.

2 Likes

The interplay between autophagy and ROS is very complex. I

" 5. Conclusion and Perspective

Plenty of studies have repeatedly shown that ROS accumulation displays detrimental implications for the basic function and survival of neurons. ROS or oxidative stress can provoke autophagy, and autophagy can take part in the removal and repair of ROS-induced oxidative lesions through a variety of signaling pathways. But autophagic neuronal death will still result if cumulative ROS go beyond the scavenging activity of autophagy. At present, it appears to be contradictory that autophagy serves as a cellular self-purification mechanism, but hyperactivity or hypoactivity of autophagy is unfavorable for the normal functionality of neurons [162, 163]. After all, the predetermined threshold level of perfect autophagy is often blurred, particularly under a variety of disease courses"

1 Like

8 Likes

Regarding ROS and autophagy, SGLT2 inhibitors seem super interesting, and especially in the context of PD, see:

2 Likes