Melatonin megadoses?

Redirecting... writes a lot about them

I’ve seen no disruptions to sleep even with the highest possible doses

1 Like

The anti-oxidant effect of Melatonin is often ignored. I have not myself had over 1g, but I have had over 900mg (during a night). I vary my exogenous Melatonin as I structure the dosing around aiming to extend sleep.

I am not sure I agree with taking Ascorbic Acid every day. There are arguments that it undermines endogenous production. Melatonin has a short half life and if you take it during the night (I never take it before initially going to sleep) then the impact on endogenous production is lesser. Quite a bit of endogenous production happens in the mitochondria, but my reading of the pathways indicates that exogenous melatonin does not impact on the endogenous production.

I’ve tried so many supplements these last few years but melatonin is one of the few that really sticks out, the more I take the more we’ll rested I feel and my sleep tracker concurs…

2 Likes

https://www.melatonin-research.net/index.php/MR/article/view/34/282

1 Like

It is true that the availability of funding for this sort of research is limited. In the end, however, there are many people who have practical experience of large doses. (large meaning over 10mg).

This I think is the largest currently available dose:

Melatonin still supersedes even glutathione in the battle for antioxidant status because melatonin itself increases the body’s own glutathione production. Simply put, melatonin has the ability to induce an “antioxidant avalanche” of sorts with its own unique free radical scavenging properties, its ability to increase our body’s own antioxidant defenses (ie: glutathione), and by producing metabolites which are equally as powerful to continue the battle against oxidative damage.

big claim, if true

3 Likes

One of the points about Melatonin is that when it acts as an anti-oxidant the resultant molecule is another anti-oxidant and it can handle 9 or 10 ROS or RNS from one molecule of Melatonin.

I find that Melatonin reduces the side effects of my protocol which are similar to those of Rapamycin (inflammation). Hence when I took Rapamycin I am not surprised I did not have those side effects.

That’s a funny name, zetpil in dutch literally means suppository

Incidentally I accidentally ordered 20 bottles with 180 12mg pills of melatonin so around a 10 year supply, so i might just start megadosing

2 Likes

All I would say is to make sure you take it at night. Personally I don’t take Melatonin to get to sleep. I take it to maintain and revert to sleep as well as to top up the mitochondrial melatonin (If I have slept for 6 hours or more measured by my fitbit I don’t need any more sleep and I take if after waking up).

It is important to reinforce rather than undermine the circadian cycle.

I am coming to a conclusion that my relatively low White Blood Cell count is probably as a result of Melatonin reducing inflammation and being part of my negligible (unmeasurably low) C Reactive Protein level. I have been looking for causes.

If you have bloods to compare prior to megadosing and post megadosing that would be interesting.

2 Likes

Uh, I also have 0.03 CRP and it doesn’t hit my WBC count…

CR can hit WBC count

I don’t know how much CRP I have as it is below the sensitivity of the hsCRP test. (which means below 0.02). It may be the melatonin megadoses that have this effect.

The theory of WBC is that lower is better for mortality anyway.

Source? I mean for CR sure (it’s one of the definitive signs of CR), and neutrophils are not a good sign. But I wonder if it makes recovery from illness harder

What would you like the source for?

Not a cause, instead an potential risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Other factors contribute as well obviously

After years of waking up at least once in the night and having trouble falling back asleep, I’ve experienced 3 weeks of sleeping through the night with a great sense of rest upon waking.

This could be due to several interventions.

I began rapa 6 weeks ago, so it could be that. I began kefir 5 weeks ago so it could be that. But I also began a specific formulation of magnesium about 4 weeks ago and I think it is due to that.

Here’s the supplement:

The argument goes like this: supposedly many of us are low on magnesium, because earlier generations used to get it through our drinking water, but our water has less magnesium than ever. I’m not qualified to evaluate this claim, but I’m not worried about overdosing as I only take one capsule a day, which is 1/3 of the amount recommended on the bottle.

Apparently there are multiple formulations of magnesium:
https://www.tiktok.com/@bylbyo/video/7179358953933950213

I’ve been taking Magnesium L-Threonate, which is identified as particularly good for the brain because it easily passes the blood-brain-barrier, whereas other magnesium formulations do not pass so easily.

I take one capsule right as I’m heading to sleep. Then I sleep the whole night through for perhaps 5 out of 6 nights. And when I do awake mid-night I find it easy to fall asleep again.

The Amazon product I buy has 11,000 reviews with a 4-5 star rating. Most of the written reviews include comments about people saying they sleep much better. It’s been a great gift to me. I just bought a second bottle so I don’t have to go without when this bottle is empty.

4 Likes

Melatonin is a very good supplement in very low doses (0.3 - 1 mg) for sleep, where the lower dose closer to 0.3 is probably best. Higher doses than that is not effective for sleep.
Higher doses, especially mega doses would be circulating the entire day.
I worry about circadian rhythm/brain effects from that.

1 Like

My personal experience differs, but such is life.

I agree. I am now taking 20-60mg. of melatonin at night as a personal experiment and it has produced no daytime sleepiness. Most nights I sleep straight through, but if I have to get up to pee I am able to go right back to sleep.

4 Likes