Anyone taking Selegiline / Deprenyl For Longevity?

Just curious if anyone is taking this drug for longevity purposes and/or mental functioning maintenance and if so, dosing strategy. Would be curious as to the extent this drug has been discussed by the “stars” of the anti-ageing community, if at all (the Dr Sinclairs et al)…

3 Likes

I have some ordered but haven’t started it yet.

Could I enquire what your dosing strategy will be and what research you have used to guide your approach? If you’ve answered this elsewhere ignore the query. I’ll try to find your comments later. Obliged!

1 Like

May I ask who you are ordering from? The literature looks pretty impressive since it has been tried on both rats and dogs and got significant life extension. It is a relatively cheap drug in the U.S., but I doubt I can get a prescription at a reasonable price. I will see what it costs from Jagdish Nikose.

1 Like

For those old enough to remember, the book “Life Extension, A Practical Scientific Approach” by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw has a lot of information on Selegiline.

1 Like

@desertshores, I ordered from All Day Chemist. I only ordered #30 pills since it’s new for me and I’m not sure yet if I’ll stay on it long term. It was @ $10 (USD) for 30. If I like it I may shop around for a better price but it’s pretty affordable IMO.

@EasterEggBiff, Someone here posted a really informative PDF. I’ll try to find it and post a link. I’ll probably start low at a 1/4 of a 5mg pill since I’m not having any particular symptoms and just trying it in hopes of enhancing my longevity.

Link contains PDF.

5 Likes

I hope that anyone about to take this has already read into this but just to put it out there info says to avoid certain foods and meds while on it and for 14 days before or after taking it

5 Likes

Thanks, good to know as I occasionally use methylene blue.

1 Like

Me too. I’ve only been using 1-2mg but planned to stop for the Deprenyl trial.

1 Like

No soybeans or tofu! As a veggie that engages in strength training it looks like I’m out of luck :cry: Another interesting intervention bites the dust given my hyper sensitivity to Rapa.

Fingers crossed the acarbose and canagliflozin regime I will start in a couple of weeks is well tolerated. @Matt do NOT tell me whey, fake meats, Seitan etc is off the menu with these drugs. I’ll never forgive you.

2 Likes

I did not know it has longevity benefits. I was researching selegline as one of two options to lower my borderline elevated PRL levels. Might have a deeper look into it. Though @Arhu and @tongMD both medical doctors were not really supporting the idea of selegline for longevity in another topic. @blsm why have you decided to give it a try?

1 Like

@scta123 I have been reading about it here and elsewhere for a couple months and it seems like a worthwhile experiment for me personally. It may or may not pan out but the various reports I’ve read from people older than me having a positive experience in areas such as mood, energy and libido boost are attractive.

Here’s an anecdotal report from my friend (in his 60’s) whose experience I respect.
“I am finding much better, improved fluency in discovering words and names of old movies or books in discussions with people. This is one of my main gauges of mental acuity.

Also I feel really good and erections are as good or better than ever. I just feel really good, I can’t say that enough.”

I’m not advocating anyone do what I’m doing in the least. I’m just an average Jane trying to age well, improve my quality of life and keep up with the demands of my work in my 50’s. As you already know I have a history of a prolactinoma so the prolactin lowering is appealing to me personally as well. I talked to my doctor at my last appointment and he said it seems safe enough for me in a low dose. While he doesn’t get into prescribing me things in the anti-aging realm he knows I’m experimenting and says I’m one of his healthier patients and I’m doing something right so just keep getting regular check ups. I took it as a green light.

5 Likes

Review the published literature, this*{certain foods] is NOT applicable/ will not effect, using the small amounts for longevity purposes.

*Selegiline ((-)-Deprenyl)

3 Likes

I wasn’t digging deep into it. Just throwing out the warning/caution that I hope we all exercise when looking at new meds and supplements. You know, ask your Dr and/or pharmacist and do your own research.

2 Likes

A copy of information posted on an earlier thread:

This comes from Mayo Clinic:

“When selegiline is taken at doses of 10 mg or less per day for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, there are no restrictions on food or beverages you eat or drink.”

Also, if you’re following the LEF protocol at daily dosages totaling 10 mg per week, or the most common recommendation of 1 mg per day, you are then taking one seventh or one tenth of a dosage that these sources say are safe to use without food restriction. (Providing a substantial additional safety margin)

An important note is that Deprenyl comes as both regular tablets and oral disintegrating tablets. The oral disintegrating tablets are much more potent. The studies suggesting 1 mg per day for antiaging are only referring to regular Deprenyl, NOT the oral disintegrating form.

3 Likes

@blsm for sure since it raises dopamine the feel good is something expected (not to mention the sexual “side effects”). Are you planning to start with 1/4 of 5mg pill? And stay or progress to 5mg? I did some reading but must do some more. As I said it is interesting for me not only from longevity standpoint but also as a PRL lowering strategy. My doctor is leaning more towards low dose intermittent cabergoline but I proposed bupropion he said maybe selegiline might be better for PRL but he never prescribed it for PRL. That is why it stuck in my head.
@Vlasko do you have any personal experience with selegiline? Are you taking it? (and good to know about the food and dose as I was worried reading it can raise BP with tyramine rich foods… would’t want to get into the situation where you take one medicine and need to take another to counter the side effects)

1 Like

@scta123, Yes, I’m planning on starting with 1/4 of a 5mg pill and dissolving it under my tongue per my friend’s experience.

1 Like

If the drug is absorbed sublingually it’s more potent than if swallowed. The common published recommendation for antiaging of 1 to 1.25 mg per day is for regular swallowed Deprenyl, not orally disintegrated.

The information below comes from the Mayo website. It gives you an idea of how digested Deprenyl compares with Deprenyl absorbed in the mouth.

• For Parkinson’s disease:
    • For oral dosage forms (capsules or tablets):

• Adults—5 milligrams (mg) two times a day, taken at breakfast and lunch. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed.
    • For oral dosage form (oral disintegrating tablets):

• Adults—At first, 1.25 milligrams (mg) once a day before breakfast, for at least 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, your doctor may increase your dose to 2.5 mg once a day.
1 Like