New Rapamycin Results in Healthy Humans for Longevity Purposes - New Study (Kaeberlein)

Here is what Matt Kaeberlein has revealed so far about the Rapamycin Survey study (that many of us here participated in last year). Full video of his presentation down at the bottom of this post. The most interesting result I saw was that nobody in the rapamycin group has reported getting long covid.

These are the unpublished results that give us an early look at the study results; the full study paper is due out later this year. The results are not very different from what we’ve seen reported in our users and user polls: Dosing, and Side Effects, and Benefits.

Full Video of his discussion on this topic below:

18 Likes

Thanks RapAdmin You made an excellent overview. All the meat and it is concise.

1 Like

Good synopsis. Was the user survey that you had posted here used in this study, or did they do another survey that had similar questions?

I had not heard that he was leaving academia for a startup. Hopefully he continues to post on Twitter and give his take on studies and results. His takes are always informative and helpful.

1 Like

They developed a much more in-depth survey that people filled out.

I think he’ll still be in the public’s eye. He’s going to Optispan ventures where they are developing a bunch of longevity clinics and also doing investing in longevity startups.

5 Likes

Is he leaving the UW? I think he can be involved in a startup & still be a prof.

If you watch the end of the video it’s quite clear that he’s leaving. I am surprised that he’s packing up and leaving to do it rather than consulting part time for the startup.

Yes - he’s phasing out entirely. As I’ve heard, he was given the chance to define his own job at the new company, and he’s eager to try to move the longevity field forward faster than he can do in academia.

2 Likes

re:

I saw was that nobody in the Rapamycin group has reported getting long covid.

I had taken rapamycin (12 mg once per week) for almost 8 months, when I contracted Covid on New Years day (2023). I had had 4 vaccinations (Moderna).

Covid slammed me. Fever. Body aches. Sinus involvement and post nasal drip. Disrupted sleep. I began Paxlovid within 24 hours of testing just as symptoms began to hit. Note: my physician advised stopping Rapamycin while on the Paxlovid protocol.

I described the experience to a friend as:

• I thought I would die…
  • I wanted to die…
  • I very slowly realized I wouldn’t die (from this).

2 1/2 months since testing positive, I have long Covid.
While I don’t have serious debilitating symptoms,

• I tire easily, needing a nap or two everyday
  • Can’t imagine doing strenuous exercise at this point.
  • Estimate, I have recovered 95% of my metal acuity, but perhaps only slowly 70% of my physical stamina and capacity;
  • My eyes tear extensively and continuously; and
  • A PSA value has gone wonky.

So, not terrible, but not great.

1 Like

Respiratory infections are very common and this doesn’t distinguish between viral or bacterial, common cold vs pneumonia. I’m not swayed that infections are either more common or severe in rapa users.

2 Likes

After 2 1/2 years… my infections are less. Covid was nothing. I couldn’t tell I had covid (my clue was wife was very ill for 10 days… she is not on rapamycin she won’t do supplements). I tested because she asked me to do it after she tested positive. Me at almost 65 years - after a positive covid test… retested 3 days later…back to negative. Seasonal allergies are no more… off flonase after a decade or more of use.

Cuts…bug bites all skin eruptions heal in days… all good.

4 Likes

Bumped into my former pharmacist at the grocery store this afternoon.

I called out to him… when he approached me… he laughed. I didn’t recognize you… had it not been for your voice… would have been clueless.

He sold his pharmacy business about 5 years ago… he is 60 years old… and looks lots older then me at 65 years. Lol

He said, “WOW Jason what’s up???” You look amazing! I told him its good drugs. Hahaha.

Then chatted about rapamycin… he knew of Rapamune. Told him skin great, veins opened, skin thickened, visceral fat gone, choking gone… no seasonal allergies.

He laughed… what? Come on… you were always buying flonase and looked awful during spring and fall allergy season (cedar in spring… ragweed in fall). No allergies?

Told him - yep… no flonase for past 2.5 years. He was really surprised. Told him to come to this site: rapamycin.news

Winning!

7 Likes

60 is elderly?

I still feel 11.

5 Likes

Me too until I look in the mirror :joy:

6 Likes

Heck, I can’t remember what 11 feels like. I’d guess it is to be painless, without fear of injury, and 100% functional. I haven’t felt like that since 20.

3 Likes

@Alpha, can we get an update on your long COVID?

Hi cara2023

Thanks for asking.

From my last post…

While I don’t have serious debilitating symptoms,

• I tire easily, needing a nap or two everyday
    I only take naps now if I didn’t get a good nights sleep (e.g. 85+ on my Oura ring). I do like those naps.)

• Can’t imagine doing strenuous exercise at this point.
    Fully back to serious training: Katalyst HIT “strength training” twice per week, mobility work every day, and experimenting with REHIT - REHIT vs HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training)

• Estimate, I have recovered 95% of my metal acuity, but perhaps only slowly 70% of my physical stamina and capacity;
    Fully up to speed mentally and physically.

• My eyes tear extensively and continuously;
    Eyes still excessively watering.
    and

• A PSA value has gone wonky.
    Seems like I had a temporary outlier. All normal now.

So basically… eyes still excessively watering. I’ve seen a ophthalmologist. No answers.

No other long symptoms.

1 Like

Thank you. Very encouraging!