Why do you take or not take Rapamycin?

I agree. I’m confident the risk / reward profile is good. The real question is how to use it well. Is there a minimum effective dose? Are we below that by attempting to minimize side effects? Can we get 2x benefit by taking more/more often/with what? Or do we get less benefit by taking more?

The answer is probably individual or at least based on archetypical situations: healthy, healthy but in decline from “aging”, metabolic illness, cancer in family history, apoe 4, etc.

1mg/day
1mg/day 7 days on/ 7 days off
20mg 1x/14 days
6mg 1x/7 days
Holidays / no holidays
mTOR rebound or no rebound
Fast during rapa dose to increase mTOR turndown or fast later to decrease mTOR rebound?
Use of additional chemicals to turn up or down mTOR in coordination with rapa dosing

Has anyone attempted to summarize the best thinking on goals / strategies/ tactics utilizing rapamycin? It’s probably buried in this site somewhere.

8 Likes

I’m not counting on rapamycin giving me more years. I am hoping that rapamycin will give me better years for the years I have remaining and then I want to very suddenly drop dead. Recent pics of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, who are both pushing 100, show them melting away in their wheelchairs. I don’t want that.

I tried it on my 13-year old dog first. It gave her some vitality. It did not make her a 3-year old again but it did improve the quality of her life.

4 Likes

How did you decide on dosing?

1 Like

I think that horse has been beaten. Not sure how we’re gonna get any better idea of optimal dosing without more human trial data.

1 Like

from

“Dr. Kaeberlein is in the midst of a much more ambitious study called the Dog Aging Project. In this study they are using rapamycin at a dosage of 0.15 mg per kg body weight given ONCE weekly. This translates into 1.5 mg of rapamycin per 22# body weight, again given once weekly.”

My dog weighs about 25 kg. I am giving her 4 mg once a week.

She is the big one on the left.

image000002

8 Likes

Where is that beaten horse summarized?

What about a well-designed survey of forum users? Or AI to collate all the threads?

2 Likes

And then there’s John Hemming’s strategy of what I think is dosing once every couple of months. Really like that idea from a cost perspective.

2 Likes

OK then! The perfect dose must lie between Agetron and desertshores regimens.

2 Likes

Well for my phenotype: half Scottish and half Czech – type O+ blood.

My N=1 dose is 6mg one week, then 12 mg the next. Then back to 6mg… and so on.

Really… no healing issues at all… from blisters and bug bites to cuts. Injury to undetectable in 6 -7 days.

Same with covid… no real issues…had a slight stuffy nose… back to negative results in 3 days.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Could be the different stacks as well.

@Agetron is taking hormones while @desertshores is not. I’m sure there are other differences as well. However, I’d say 6 mg - 12 mg is a sweet spot depending on your biology.

4 Likes

My personal focus is on improving health/preventing illness.

It is quite obviously clear that a large number of diseases that occur in later life result from aging. I have spent a lot of time reading papers and doing experiments and have concluded that there are two main causes of age related diseases. One is a problem with the transcription of genes into mRNA, the other is with the translation of mRNA into protein (via tRNA).

IMO the cause of the first problem relates to lower levels of acetyl-CoA in the nucleus as a result of IL-10 reducing NF kappa B (via the Janus Kinase) that reducing levels of the citrate carrier which reduces the amount of substrate for ACLY. When a cell fails to differentiate as a result of this limitation it ends up as senescent so there is a feedback system because a large number of senescent cells emit IL-10. This also causes the patchyness of senescence as IL-10 affects local cells to a greater extent than those some distance away.

The second problem occurs as a result of a shortage of ATP. Mitochondria ordinarily produce increased amounts of ATP as a result of its depeletion and the ATP/ADP gradient increasing. However, as mitochondria deteriorate they are unable to produce sufficient ATP. Hence the Ribosome stalls and the failed proteins are sent to Ribosome Quality Control.

One technique for improving mitochondrial efficiency is increased autophagy. I therefore take Rapamycin about every 4-6 weeks (6mg) to inhibit mTOR (or more precisely to increase the probability that mTOR is inhibited in some cells) and therefore make the process of mitophagy more frequent.

I do not, however, think that Rapamycin is sufficient in itself to deal with the two key causes of age related diseases so I do other things as well.

My current plan is to take Rapamycin whilsl fasting so that the probability of mTOR being inhibited becomes greater and autophagy is more likely. (the combination of the two probabilities). I am assuming that there is a threshold at which the probability of autophagy materially increases.

I think there is at least one other cause of age related diseases specfically DNA damage, but I do not think it is as significant as the other two. There are probably other stochastic elements as well.

2 Likes

Good point Chris.
I take weekly 1ml (injection) which is 200mg Cypionate a form of testosterone.
Raises my testosterone from 400 low to about 1400 high normal. Been 4 plus years.

Highly recommend for its many health benefits. The negatives have recently been found to be unsubstantiated.

2 Likes

I’m curious about this. Did you try to boost testosterone in other ways before going down this path? Is there a need to continue using TRT forever once you begin (body stops making any)? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Happy to answer. I did try boosting with testosterone enhancer first.

From Primeval Labs… I ordered: Epiandro Max 120 capsules- used it for almost 3 years.

When I told my physician what I was taking… he told me it is doing so little if anything at all for testosterone enhancement… might raise you 20 points.

That’s when we discussed real improvement in testosterone level using either topical TRT, injection or inserted tablets.

Went for injection… strange at first using a needle in my thigh… now it is nothing.

4 years in… I could do this for life. I definitely don’t want to go back to 400 level.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s useful. It’s on my list to investigate.

1 Like

Also, TRT is covered by my insurance first Cigna and then Anthem.

There has been no cost for it’s use the last four years including needles.

2 Likes

Just found your message about your phenotype, blood type and probable correct for you dose of Rapamycin. How did you figure this out?

1 Like

Hey macneu,
My Rapamycin is physician prescribed.

He and I agreed that I would do blood work ever 3-4 months while on rapamycin. That included getting Labcorp rapamycin/siriolimus blood draw at trough; then, dose my rapamycin… currently 2mg pill and fresh squeezed Pink Grapefruit (about 5 oz).

Next, 2.5 hours after that dose take a second Labcorp blood draw to get c-max. All insurance covered.That dose with GFJ, gives me about 8.8 ng/mL.

I probably know how much my rapamycin dose is distributed through my cells… than most on this site.

When, I was high 38 ng/mL my biological age faster. On 6mg I get a reversal of age and no inflammation.

I recommend no more than 6-10 mg once weekly.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

So it’s scientific rather than your “phenotype and blood group 0”.
Thank you!

1 Like