Published: Matt Kaeberlein Study of Off-Label Rapamycin

Open access. This is the study that Dr. Kaeberlein has previewed in several online lectures and interviews, including this one (with screenshots of tables and figures by @RapAdmin ):

https://www.rapamycin.news/t/new-rapamycin-results-in-healthy-humans-for-longevity-purposes-new-study-kaeberlein/

So no major surprises from a scan. I do continue to be surprsed by how many people respond “Disagree” (5.7% (n=19)) or “Neither” (49.5% (165)) to the statement " My health has improved since taking rapamycin|," and that Disagree with “Rapamycin has anti-aging properties” (34.5% (115)).

2 Likes

I wonder if a lot of the negative or lukewarm responses regarding rapamycin effectiveness are from unhealthy people. If you are hitting yourself with a hammer all day, or getting most of your calories from corn syrup, the positive effect of rapamycin might not be noticable. I admit that the positive effect of rapamycin on my dog is more noticeable than it is on me.

I would say it is the opposite. I think people in poorer health will notice positive changes more noticeably. Rapa is potent at fixing mitochondrial dysfunction and as a senomorphic.
It also has a big impact on autoimmune disorders and inflammation. Many of the people taking Rapa are health enthusiasts and are in pretty good health already therefore they may not notice any changes since they are already in great health and do not have any of the problems mentioned above. How do you measure preventing something or fixing something that isn’t broken?

I agree with @DeStrider here: intuitively one would expect an anti-aging agent with antiinflammatory properties to have more pronounced effects in a metabolically unhealthy person.

The question is also likely moot:

both rapamycin users and non-users in this study appear to be atypical in that they report higher rates of exercise and healthy dietary habits, lower body mass index, and lower rates of alcohol consumption and tobacco use, relative to the general population [see Table 2]. It is possible that potential benefits and side effects from off-label rapamycin use would be different in a less healthy population. For example, there are several reports that rapamycin or genetic inhibition of mTOR can reduce weight gain and improve metabolic parameters in mice subjected to diet-induced obesity [58,59,60,61], but paradoxically, has negative effects in a murine genetic model of obesity caused by mutation of the leptin receptor [62].

2 Likes