Women Taking Rapamycin for Enhanced Fertility / Menopause Prevention?

A post from another thread today:

I am 64 in menopause for 7? Years the Rapamycin seems to be reversing menopause, I have been having hot flashes mood swings and spotting! (source: this post )

3 Likes

I’d be curious if she’s taking HRT. Those symptoms could be due to high estrogen (spotting) or low estrogen (hot flashes). My understanding is that some follicles exist until about ten years after menopause but after that I’m not sure how you’d “reverse” it. It would be interesting to get her hormone levels checked!

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing which hormone tests exactly? I’m 7-8 years post menopause and after being on rapamycin only 1 month I’m having some interesting changes already. I’d like to start monitoring my hormones. Thank you

1 Like

No I am not take HRT or any hormones!

1 Like

Oh thank you for responding! And for sharing your story! If you get your hormones checked (estradiol, testosterone, progesterone, FSH, LH) I’d love to see where they come back, especially if you have any labs from the last few years when you were menopausal but not taking Rapa.

2 Likes

I usually like to see estradiol, testosterone, progesterone, DHEA if menopausal and taking hormones. FSH and LH are nice to have as well. And, of course, if you happen to have previous labs then that’s helpful for comparison.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I’ll get these checked and post my results. @AmyK

2 Likes

Hi Amy, a question from a guys perspective. Are there any tests that you think might be appropriate for guys taking 17-alpha estradiol to validate that in effect its getting into the body?

People are starting to try it: 17-Alpha Estradiol - Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

And since you’re obviously up on the whole hormone testing issue - I was wondering if you’ve ever done hormone testing on men (other than TrT type applications)?

Hey. Yes! I’ve not tested specifically for 17-a estradiol but have definitely tested for regular estradiol as well as testosterone, FSH, LH, DHT, DHEA, etc. It might be helpful to check inflammatory markers like CRP in someone taking 17a Estradiol since there’s some animal evidence that inflammation goes down.

1 Like

I started rapa over a year ago…. I started at 1 mg once per week, but have worked my way up to 5mg once per week now.

Before rapa, I was experiencing periomenopause symptoms…. Lighter periods that came once every 2 - 3 months or so… I think… I wasn’t really keeping track….

Now I didn’t start taking rapa for fertility…. I never even read anything about rapa having an impact on extending fertility…. I just wanted it for longevity….

I have started noticing when I got to my higher dose (5mg) that my periods have returned once a month…. And they are no longer light as well…. Btw- I’m 48 now….

I’m glad to see this post, because to be honest, I was getting worried…

8 Likes

@AmyK nice to see you here also :blush::muscle:!

Do you follow a certain stack and timing with supplements and medications? Dr. Mindi Pelz recommends to fast only in the 1st half of a cycle. Now this would translate into taking rapamycin and certain polyphenols only in the 1st half.

My personal stack looks as follows: The day I take rapamycin, I’ll fast and I’ll take fisetin, resveratrol, spermidine and quercetin. Sometimes I use this day as a starting point for a longer fast of 4 days in a row. If I don’t fast, I’ll at least keep my protein and sugar intake low.

After 4 days of taking rapamycin I ramp up my protein intake, supplement with collagen and once a month do a microneedling session during refeeding.

Now, do I have to pay attention to my cycle and not take rapa in the 2nd half?

Many thanks to all of you, this forum really helps!

4 Likes

I think your plan makes sense. I don’t fast (I’m already thin and don’t want to lose muscle) but I do plan my more difficult/heavier weight training on the second half of the week if possible (furthest from my Sunday Rapa dose).

2 Likes

Why do you start your fast when you take Rapa? Rapa mimics starvation. If you fast in addition to taking Rapa, it’s like double fast.

1 Like

Lara, there does seem to be some overlap in what rapamycin and fasting does, but there also seems to be significant differences. For example in muscle:

Distinct and additive effects of calorie restriction and rapamycin in aging skeletal muscle

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29714-6

So, its not unreasonable to do both.

More of a discussion here: How Rapamycin Extends Lifespan (mechanism and implications) Discussion

1 Like

I try to deactivate mTor with rapamycin. If I eat high protein at the same time, I fear that mTor gets turned back on.

I’m just guessing, so could also be too much.

Same with additional supplements in the fields senolytic, mitophagy, autophagie, energy,… There is just not much data and we kind of have to guess how to stack or combine.

1 Like

We are all guessing alot when it comes to issues around rapamycin use in longevity. We still have a lot to learn.

We try things that seem to go with the science, we see how our bodies react, ideally we do blood testing to confirm (if possible) that things are going in the right direction, and then we adjust if we need to.

1 Like

Do you fellow women take rapamycin according to your cycle? If so, do you choose 1st or 2nd half?

According to Mindy Pelz, 1st half would be reasonable and 2nd half could even be bad. I personally am not sure if this is true…

2 Likes

Is Mindy Pelz your doctor? I just looked her up, she’s based in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Jose) - but I had not heard of her before. Where did you hear her recommendations related to this - does she podcast etc. or did you get this from her directly?

Mindy Pelz: About - Dr. Mindy Pelz

She does podcasts about fasting and the female cycle/ hormones. She strongly recommends to stop fasting in the 2nd half of the cycle. As rapamycin mimics some effects of fasting, I wonder if it should be restricted to 1st half.

3 Likes

Does fasting in the 2nd half of your menstrual cycle influence progesterone?

There is some evidence to suggest that fasting during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle may have an impact on progesterone levels. The luteal phase is the time period between ovulation and the start of the next menstrual period and typically lasts for about 14 days. During this time, the hormone progesterone is produced in high levels to prepare the endometrial lining for a potential pregnancy.

However, studies have shown that fasting and caloric restriction can lower progesterone levels and disrupt the normal hormonal balance of the menstrual cycle. This can lead to changes in the luteal phase and potentially interfere with ovulation and conception. In addition, changes in progesterone levels can also affect menstrual cycle regularity, leading to changes in the length of the luteal phase.

It is important to note that more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between fasting and progesterone levels during the menstrual cycle. Additionally, it is always best to talk to your doctor before starting any new dietary or fasting practices, especially if you are trying to conceive.

1 Like