Women Taking Rapamycin for Enhanced Fertility / Menopause Prevention?

This is very cool but also a little confusing. My understanding is that, unlike humans and a few whale species, most mammals don’t actually go through menopause. Meaning, most mammals (including mice) don’t stop making key hormones like estradiol midway through life. So, I’m curious whether this mouse model of ovarian aging is similar to the human model in that we actually run out of eggs (follicles), which is what causes menopause. So, if there are no more follicles to be had, one would think that even something as great as rapamycin wouldn’t be able to “turn back time” by creating more follicles in humans.

7 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

A point about why slowing ovarian aging (which rapamycin seems to do) is important for women in a broader context:

3 Likes

@RapAdmin Thanks for sharing these articles. Interesting to see the research that keeps coming out. And encouraging as well. I have been taking rapamycin for about 10 weeks so far and have noticed that my cycle length has increased by about 2 days the last two months - definitely a good thing for me. Will be interesting to see how the trend continues.

3 Likes

I have covered the recent Longevity Summit conference here, and the presentation by Jennifer Garrison and others related to female reproductive health.

See Here: The Longevity Summit, News & Update - #13 by RapAdmin

3 Likes

Related:

2 Likes

A new organization focused on funding research into improving female reproductive longevity and health:

1 Like

mTORC1/2 inhibition preserves ovarian function and fertility during genotoxic chemotherapy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5373380/

3 Likes

People may be interested in this new, related thread: Rapamycin for Ovarian Ageing

New talk by Jennifer garrison

1 Like

@Arhu, I calculated my bsa but I’m unsure how to use that information to help me determine any practical information. Forgive me if it’s a silly question but I am not a doctor or scientist-just an ordinary person.

It’s probably not so useful for us individually for now, just for comparing doses between us because we are all different sizes

@Arhu, thank you. I have gotten myself in trouble in the past going too high on dosing things in relation to my smaller than average size. It only took me 50 years to figure that one out! We consider bsa in my line of work too but practically speaking we still go with ml/kg of ideal body weight. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

2 Likes

I had a similar thing happen to a friend of mine who started Rapa (3 mg) after being on HRT for years. She experienced several high estrogen symptoms as well as severe fatigue and depression, which were very unusual for her. She stopped the Rapa after about three months and all symptoms went away. I’m still unclear on the mechanism.

1 Like

Not sure if this article by Blagosklonney has been shared but it gives a good explanation of why Rapa may help delay menopause and why we should consider thinking of menopause as a disease.

8 Likes

Below, from the new Athena Dao, started by Laura Minquini recently. A new group helping to increase funding into research on countering female premature female fertility aging, and related womens health issues.

https://twitter.com/athena_DAO_

ReproductiveHealthReport.pdf (4.2 MB)

1 Like

I contacted the researcher that presented this at the conference (and hoped to get the image of the old ovaries vs. ovaries from rapamycin mice - but no luck), and I’ll post the study when it gets published. I also asked him the question you brought up. Here was his response:

Thanks for the keen interest, and the manuscript is currently in preparation for submission hence I am unable to share any of the images until they are ready.

As the meeting was an academic meeting with clauses attached, I was able to share unpublished data at that point, I seek your kind understanding and hope you can continue to follow our work. I will keep in touch once our manuscript gets accepted. Just to share, even at menopause, there are still very low number of ovarian follicles although these could be of poor quality.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the study once it’s released.