Women Taking Rapamycin for Enhanced Fertility / Menopause Prevention?

Thanks, indeed I’ve seen the many studies discussing its potential beneficial effects. The culprit seems to be already present cancerous cells, and the problem is we can never rule out we may not have cancerous cells.
What is your opinion on melatonin’s effects on glucose metabolism? I’ve been under the impression my fasting BG-levels are higher when I take melatonin - but as said I’ve been taking it nearly every night for a long time because of sleeping problems.
Then there are more recent studies discussing melatonin’s effect on gonadal activity, that also make me wonder if I should reconsider my melatonin intake.

As far as glucose is concerned, the studies are all over the place because it’s probably a timing thing. Melatonin close to a meal/ food seems to cause insulin resistance and elevated blood glucose, whereas the opposite is true when it’s taken at night several hours or so after eating. Studies have shown that it actually prevents DM.

So it’s complicated and it depends but it’s further evidence that we shouldn’t eat and go to bed We should follow our circadian rhythms.

1 Like

Thanks. You are definitely right the studies are conflicting and confusing. Insightful information - and it reminds me again of the fact I must try to let go of my night owl habits.

@Pat25, that is very interesting. I also take Melatonin (4mg) every night and have done for years. This, combined with HRT seems to keep the sleep issue at bay. I never had sleep issues until menopause; hormones started to decline at 46YO.

My fasting blood sugar started to creep up as soon as perimenopause hit, but it never occurred to me that the melatonin could be contributing.

1 Like

Something interesting to note:

I am in menopause, 55YO and taking bioidentical Estrogen and micronized progesterone. My doctor prescribes a compounded transdermal cream that so I can adjust the dose if needed.

I always know when I’m taking too much estrogen, as there are is a particular physiological symptom that tells me. (don’t want to share here, maybe TMI for some forum members!)

Since taking rapamycin, I have experienced this symptom despite being on the same dose of E2 for quite some time.

Consequently had to reduce my dose of estrogen. Recent blood tests did not indicate that there was any more E2 in my blood than normal (which surprised me given the arising of this symptom) but for some reason I have become more sensitive to it and now have to take a smaller dosage.

4 Likes

Well studies seem conflicting, as Rivas mentioned. So personally to be frank I’m not sure what to make out of it, and Rivas may be right that eating in the evening and the timing of Melatonin intake may play a role this. (I’m guilty of eating at night and being a night owl unfortunately :slight_smile: ).
But perhaps you could measure your morning fasting B/G-levels with and without taking melatonin at night? Something I should do again myself also after correcting my circadian rhythm.

3 Likes

Interesting, thank you for sharing, Basil. I will also test my hormone levels in the upcoming period, so I will see if anything changed since starting Rapamycin. (I’m not yet in perimenopause).

1 Like

Interesting point about DHEA possibly working on downstream effects… thanks for sharing and will have to look into this more.

2 Likes

Taking my morning blood sugars totally does my head in!

They are all over the place, regardless of what I eat/don’t eat. That was happening before I started melatonin, but to be honest I’m not sure if the melatonin helps that much with sleep anyway - scared to stop it though!

I’m best to step away from the blood sugar metre for my own sanity - but HOMA-IR score and A1c is very good and I will check those every 3-4 months since startin rapa.

2 Likes

CNN News:

6 Likes

Melatonin doesn’t help me to sleep at all. Tried it many times and it doesn’t work. Glycine though helps much. Usually I have 7 h of sleep which is enough for me. I’m 67.

2 Likes

At this week’s Aging Research and Drug Discovery Conference:

7 Likes

@LaraPo to be honest I don’t think it does that much for me, it’s the HRT that really helps me - but my doctor reckons its good for me so I keep taking it.

2 Likes

lucky us(:laughing:

I was perfectly healthy before menopause. Slept like a baby every night.

Columbia University researcher Yousin Sun is leading the Rapamycin human clinical trial focused on extending healthy fertility (by slowing ovarian aging) in women.

2 Likes

A new video on this general topic by Jennifer Garrison of the Buck Institute and UCSF:

4 Likes

I asked longevity physician Amy Killen the following question “Is there any qualified guesses regarding off-label rapamycin dosing for menopause prevention?” This is the answer I got. Thought it could be interesting to share her answer also here.

5 Likes

NR treatment not only restored MII oocyte quality but also enhanced early embryonic development potential of postovulatory oocytes via alleviating mitochondrial dysfunction and maintaining normal spindle/chromosome structure. Also, treatment with NR decreased the ROS levels and reduced DNA damage and apoptosis in postovulatory oocytes. Taken together, our findings indicated that NR supplementation increases the oocyte quality and early embryonic development potential in post-ovulatory oocytes which could potentially increase the successful rate in ART.

2 Likes

A new project that is under consideration by VitaDOA:

MenoAge - A glycomics-based blood biomarker for female aging

A Glycomics based test for detection of perimenopause and menopause transition to enable timely access to therapy

Summary

MenoAge is a perimenopause diagnostic, which is an accurate, rapidly deployable, and cost-effective. It assesses the long-term impact of common therapeutic interventions for management of menopause or of premature ovarian insufficiency impacting women´s health and longevity. Early detection of perimenopause will lead to prompt, personalized treatment, thus preventing and alleviating (peri)menopausal symptoms associated with aging and improving future health by reducing the risk of age-related diseases and mortality.

More details on project:

Company Website:

Note: Matt Kaeberlein touches upon rapamycin / mtor pathway and ovarian aging in this new presentation on the current state of the science around Rapamycin.

An interesting comment Matt makes related to ovarian aging was he was at a recent conference on reproductive aging and there were 3 or 4 presentations on how mTOR was involved in ovarian aging. He notes that he saw a presentation where:

“they had remarkable pictures with old mice and atrophied ovaries, and then you look at an old mouse that had been treated with rapamycin and the ovaries look like young ovaries from a young mouse.”

I’ve positioned the video to the exact spot where reversing ovarian aging / function is discussed, below:

Note: Following is the entire Agenda for the FASEB Reproductive Aging Conference that Matt Kaeberlein was talking about in the above video:

FASEB-Reproductive-Aging-Conference-Agenda-1.pdf (130.1 KB)

5 Likes