Another (likely) Longevity Drug - Somavert / Pegvisomant

There has been a ton of research on the Growth Hormone / IGF-1 pathway by geroscientists over the past few decades. And, the Loyal for Dogs company is currently working through an FDA approval process for an IGF-1 inhibition drug that may be the first drug approved by the FDA to increase healthspan and lifespan (for dogs).

I came across this paper today and read the following paragraph, that caught my eye:

Inhibitors of the GH/IGF-1 axis

Although the lack of global IGF-1 signaling is lethal, data from studies conducted in animal models have shown that a reduction in IGF-1 levels or IGF-1 action can extend lifespan. Additionally, human IGF-1 receptor gene polymorphisms are associated with exceptional longevity (Suh et al., 2008), and recently, Barzilai and colleagues have shown that low plasma IGF-1 concentrations predict survival in long-lived people (Milman et al., 2014), specifically in women with a history of cancer. In animals, dwarf, long-lived mice lacking the growth hormone receptor (GHR-/-) have reduced levels of IGF-1, are insulin sensitive despite obesity, and have decreased risk for cancer and diabetes (Zhou et al., 1997; Shevah & Laron, 2007; Ikeno et al., 2009). Importantly, similar results have been reported in growth hormone receptor-deficient Laron syndrome (LS) patients. In this regard, no formal aging studies have been performed on patients with LS; however, they are protected from diabetes and fatal neoplasms. (Guevara-Aguirre et al., 2011; Steuerman et al., 2011). Thus, pharmaceutical interventions that directly lower IGF-1 levels in adults could improve health and prolong lifespan.

Well, it turns out there is already a drug that is approved for lowering IGF-1 and has a very clean side effect profile (but the issue… of course there is always an issue… is that its an injection drug). I’m probably like most people, I really don’t like injection drugs. And, this is likely why its not been tested by the ITP… the ITP doesn’t do injection drugs (can you imagine injecting hundreds of mice, every day, for their entire life?). We need an ITP v2 that does things like injection drugs and gene therapy, etc.

If you aren’t afraid of injections, these drugs are available via the Indian pharmacies quite inexpensively but again there are issues because the drugs need to be kept refrigerated and so it would likely spoil if you had it/them shipped from India to your location. The online pharmacies I talked to suggested I visit India and pick it up there… which is more than I’m interested in doing even if I wasn’t averse to injections.

The second approved drug for treating acromegaly is the GH receptor antagonist pegvisomant (Trainer et al ., 2000; van der Lely et al ., 2001; Kopchick et al ., 2002; van der Lely & Kopchick, 2006). Pegvisomant is unique in that it does not inhibit GH secretion, but rather inhibits GH action by binding to and blocking the GHR (Kopchick et al ., 2002). Notably, a dose-dependent decrease of IGF-1 levels is seen in up to 90% of pegvisomant-treated patients (Trainer et al ., 2000; van der Lely et al ., 2001; Kopchick et al ., 2002; van der Lely & Kopchick, 2006). Additionally, pegvisomant is an insulin sensitizer that blocks the diabetogenic action of GH and thus produces beneficial effects on glucose metabolism. Pegvisomant, therefore, could have positive effects on both longevity and healthy aging by lowering serum IGF-1 and increasing insulin sensitivity. Regarding adverse effects, van der Lely et al . (2012)reported that Long-term data on the efficacy and safety profile of pegvisomant are reassuring and few long-term serious adverse events have been reported but ongoing vigilance is required to monitor liver function and tumor size . Thus, pegvisomant is an approved drug that should be tested for its effects on longevity and healthy aging.

The paper:

Related Reading:

Extending lifespan by modulating the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 axis: coming of age

The drug on Indiamart:

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/somavert-10mg-injection-21795613755.html

6 Likes

Details on use of the drug:

https://www.pfizermedicalinformation.com/en-us/node/62776/pi_section/field_spl_instructions

“Pegvisomant is unique in that it does not inhibit GH secretion, but rather inhibits GH action by binding to and blocking the GHR. pegvisomant is an insulin sensitizer that blocks the diabetogenic action of GH and thus produces beneficial effects on glucose metabolism. Pegvisomant, therefore, could have positive effects on both longevity and healthy aging by lowering serum IGF-1 and increasing insulin sensitivity”

3 Likes