A spoonful of olive oil daily could save your brain from dementia

9 Likes

Lots more in-depth information on the best Olive oil:

Here: Dietary Inflammation Tied to Muscle Aging - #20 by MAC

Here: Claim: Exercise + extra virgin olive oil = 58% less risk of dying

3 Likes

I take a shot of olive oil every morning, with or without rapamycin.

2 Likes

It didn’t work for my dad. If only it were that simple!

4 Likes

I would say it depends on the freshness and amount of processing of the oil. And when you buy, usually you have no idea.

2 Likes

My dad spent the first third of his life in the Mediterranean, as a native, where presumably the good stuff was all that was available. In his second third, he got imports in big tins. This was before the popularization of the Mediterranean diet, before there were assays for polyphenol content. I suspect it was real back then. But they had dementia back then, too.

6 Likes

Same here, been doing it for ages.

2 Likes

Would an olive oil supplement be as good as straight olive oil and if so, what dose?

2 Likes

Good question… perhaps this helps:

3 Likes

Thank you RapAdmin for this info. Seems the answer to Olive Oil supplementation as NO!

Yes - I think I’ll just be buying high oleocanthal olive oil and using it liberally on foods…

2 Likes

I always thought it was crazy that the olive oil fanatics were pouring olive oil on everything. Sure it has some health benefits, but it also has a lot of calories. I spend my precious calories on fish, whole fruit and veg./nuts. I’m targeting fiber and a diversity of phytonutrients. A tablespoon a day or with rapa sounds good; I might do that.

2 Likes

If you buy online, would appreciate a link to the brand/type you buy.

1 Like

I’ve tried the Graza and the Bertolli. Love them both.

1 Like

As I’m an olive oil enthusiast I get them from freshpressedoliveoil.com

IMHO the biggest benefit from olive oil is that it makes vegetables taste good. I think the real benefit is in the vegetables, not in the substance with an extremely high calorie count per unit of beneficial phenolics. The Okinawans who made it to 100 and beyond did not use any olive oil.

1 Like

From their site:
“Supermarket oils can sit on shelves for many months, growing stale, musty, even rancid”
That is just marketing hype.
Any olive oil that comes from Europe, the Middle East, or South America is certainly going to spend weeks if not months from the time of harvesting and transport time spent on ships and in ports to the time it reaches distributer shelves in the U.S.
I am not an enthusiast, gourmet-wise, but single estate cold pressed EVOO from single-estate California groves is the kind I buy from Costco. And, I am certain it is fresher than most if not all imports. Costco labels have harvest and best use-by dates which I trust.
I do not trust the EVOO labels from most foreign countries unless it is backed by a prominent US distributor.

3 Likes

FWIW

Do not recall from where, supposedly EVOO from small producers in Morocco have the highest content of polyphenols and hydroxytyrosol. Due to the harsh environment the trees suffer from hormesis and produce extra compounds to survive.

Attached is a PDF copy of a study.

The study was sponsored by a producer, keep than in mind as you review. The paper does have good basic information…

clinical-study-OO-morocco.pdf (3.7 MB)

2 Likes

That may be true. But, the imported olive oil industry is rampant with fraud and they often lie about sourcing.

“More than two-thirds of common brands of extra-virgin olive oil found in grocery stores aren’t what they claim to be.”

Maybe California olive oil does not have the " highest content of polyphenols and hydroxytyrosol", but, it is very affordable, and since I live right next door, I will trust California olive oils and I probably take a little more than the average user does

3 Likes

I find that EVOO helps the absorption of some powders when they are mixed in. For instance, I mix NMN with my EVOO and I feel that I get more out of it than when I take it sublingual or orally without EVOO. I add piperine and tumeric to the mixture too.

I also drop my Rapa into my shot of EVOO. I believe the coating of EVOO helps some supplements make it through the digestive tract without getting broken down as much thereby enhancing their effects.

2 Likes