Claim: Exercise + extra virgin olive oil = 58% less risk of dying

CONCLUSION: Daily moderate consumption of virgin OO (1 and 1/2 tablespoons) was associated with a one-third lower risk of all- cause as well as half the risk of cardiovascular mortality. These effects were not seen for common OO. These findings may be useful to reappraise dietary guidelines.

Note: There was an in-depth discussion on Olive Oil and oleocanthal benefits and sources in this thread: Dietary Inflammation Tied to Muscle Aging

Recommended / Reviewed EVOO in this post

Consumer Lab Recommended/Tested Extra Virgin Olive Oil:

Full Paper Below:

s41430-022-01221-3.pdf (585.7 KB)

3 Likes

mike666, You’re right. Relative risk may or may not be important. Whenever you see the term “relative risk” you should investigate to find the total risk. Two other terms I always look closely at when it comes to medical studies are “false positives” and “false negatives.”

1 Like

Relative risk is so clearly deceptive that it should be eliminated from medical reporting. Everything should be in terms of absolute risk and total mortality rates.

2 Likes

Excellent unbiased plain-spoken discussion of absolute vs relative risk by a physician/scientist. Both are important, but can be misused/abused:

2 Likes

I’ve stopped paying much attention to epidemilogical studies that try to identify a single factor in health. I think Italians and Spaniards do live longer statistically on average than Americans (5-7 years not 50%) and that may be largely diet but also they tend to walk a lot more than Americans, enjoy the sun, and rarely do you see an obese person. It’s not from exercise - I lived in Italy and gyms are pretty few and far between and you are taking your life in your hands running on city streets. Italians tend to disdain fast food and most people take a lunch hour and sit with friends and eat a real meal, not McDonalds (though this may be unfortunately changing). It’s a life style question not a single food, though I do love EVOO.

3 Likes

So true. Epidemiology studies mostly worthless.

2 Likes

Great video on olive oil. I drink a shot of EVOO every day. I mix in my Rapamycin, turmeric, black pepper, spermidine and other powder supplements. Based on my own tests, I have found the bioavailability to be increased for these supplements when I do this. Enjoy!

Based on the video, I will be upping my intake to 2 tbsp 30 ml daily.

2 Likes

Didn’t I see somewhere in another thread that turmeric can block the absorption of Rapamycin?

3 Likes

Turmeric is weird in that it can increase or decrease Rapamycin bioavailability.

So, I don’t take it on Rapamycin days.

1 Like