Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

THE ULTIMATE SUPPLEMENT GUIDE

Dr. Stanfield talks about creatine and other supplements in his latest video here:

1 Like

Carnosine Reverses Senescent Cells & Increases Muscle Strength

Still another supplement to consider?

I see some forum members have it in their stack but didnā€™t really explain why.

I donā€™t want to add another supplement to my stack, but maybe this is one to consider.

This supplement has been around for a long time but doesnā€™t seem to generate much interest.

So, I am old and it is sometimes hard to tell how old younger people are by looking at them.

This 72-year-old promoting carnosine looks remarkably younger to me, maybe about 50?

Maybe the poster boy for carnosine supplementation.

"Therefore, carnosine has the potential of being a

drug to prevent and treat senile cataract and to delay

eyesight senescence, which is one of the manifestations

of aging."

ā€œPrime candidates are mTOR inhibition (i.e. carnosine behaving as a rapamycin mimetic),ā€

ā€œThese data suggest preliminary evidence of the clinical efficacy of carnosine against cognitive decline,ā€

"While few studies have investigated the effect of carnosine on aging, administration of carnosine to senescence-accelerated mice (SAM-1) increased the mean lifespan by 20% [15] and 50% survival rate by 20% "

"For such a small molecule, it is remarkable that carnosine has multiple properties. It is an antioxidant, achelator of toxic metal ions, a buffer, and an inhibitor of

non-enzymic glycosylation of proteins."

ā€œCarnosine can delay senescence in cultured human fibroblasts and reverse the senescent phenotype, restoring a more juvenile appearance.ā€

http://www.protein.bio.msu.ru/biokhimiya/contents/v65/pdf/bcm_0869.pdf

http://protein.bio.msu.ru/biokhimiya/content

8 Likes

I ordered two bottles, will try 1gm a day

3 Likes

Instead of carnosine the carnosine precursor beta alanine might be a better option (itā€™s certainly cheaper)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @desertshores . . . just read all I could about carnosine for an hour, convinced enough that Iā€™m going to try 1g per day

I would love to hear @tongMD 's thoughts on Carnosine. The video is a bit promotional and persuasive, so I must understand the science better.

1 Like

FWIWā€¦

Physiological and therapeutic effects of carnosine on cardiometabolic risk and disease

And several more;

1 Like

(post deleted by user)

I do take carnosine, but I have no personal anecdote either supporting taking it or not.

1 Like

Dr. Fahy must be doing something right. He looks years younger than he did 2 years ago!!!

Dr. Fahy 2 years ago

Dr. Fahy 6 months ago

Not only is his appearance much younger, but his voice is too.

6 Likes

I looked into his work into regeneration on the thymus.Thought about it. But it is kind of invasive - expensive and you gain back maybe two years. Will stick to rapamycin.

2 Likes

Yes it is, over $1,000.00 per month just for HGH.

You had to pay to be in the study.

Outcome was something like an 18 month reduction in age.

$$$$$ for 18 month reduction.

2 Likes

I bet heā€™s on most of the longevity drugs that we cover here on the siteā€¦ but I havenā€™t talked to him.

Andā€¦ just to play devilā€™s advocate (and of course I hope that Fahyā€™s work is accurate and successful), but there are suggestions and research (by the Buck Institute) that perhaps the clocks that were used to ā€œreverse biological ageā€ were just measuring different populations of cells at different times, and thus getting an inaccurate read on the biological age. See Eric Verdinā€™s presentation (and video) linked to here if you want to know more: The Longevity Summit, News & Update

3 Likes

I just watch him on the videos, and I think he is in really great shape for 72 yo. He is doong something that is working.

2 Likes

I am really trying to cut down on my daily stack of supplements. It looks like getting it down to 10 is impossible. Not only is it not pleasant to take so many supplements, but it is also expensive.
Here is my current minimum daily stack.
In light of more recent studies, I have decided to put NMN back on the list.
Some supplements are not on my list because I get enough in my diet.

Do you see any redundancies?

In alphabetical order, not importance:

Beta-alanine
CoQ10
Curcumin
Fisetin
Glycine
Lithium orotate
Melatonin
MNM
Omega 3
Quercetin
Rapamycin
Trans-Resveratrol
TMG
Vitamin D
Vitamin K2

Or, do you think there are any I could replace with a more important supplement?

2 Likes

I think he has had some plastic surgery because his droopy neck is gone. That doesnā€™t mean heā€™s not legit, though.

2 Likes

I counted that I take over 80 capsules a day at different times. I donā€™t take Rapamycin that often, however. What I do, however, is to swallow them quite a few at a time. I take the largest number at breakfast although I take some roughly every 2 hours. That before I start on melatonin, however, I can take 20 of the 10mg melatonin tablets sometimes I chew three or 5 up to take them rapidly into my blood sublingually. I also take collagen peptides and vanillin in my first cup of tea and I eat a small amount of ginger to start the day. I also eat chia seeds pretty well every day.

Of those I donā€™t know the merits of CoQ10. I take Omega 3 only twice a week and I donā€™t take Resveratrol although I do take Pterostilbene.

1 Like

I have no scientific background and this is just my personal opinionā€¦.
Iā€™d question if it is worth doing both Fisetin and Quercetin?
If I took Fisetin I think it would just pulse large amounts once every 3 or 6 months - I wouldnā€™t take daily.
I presume you take the CoQ10 as you take a statin? In which case Iā€™d continue with it, otherwise I wouldnā€™t bother.

There is some evidence q10 enhances physical performance even in highly trained Olympic athletes

Coenzyme Q10 [CoQ10] The Best Vitamin For Endurance Athletes ( check out the olym0ic cyclust rete43nce )

5 Likes

Post the following on another thread a few days ago