Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

My regimen is

• rapa once weekly for the usual reasons
  • vitamin d because I’ve tested deficient more than once and live in the north
  • 250mg nmn a few times a week. I know the longevity evidence for this is not the strongest, but it has helped my workouts and recovery so much that I plan on continuing a low dose unless there is evidence of negative effects

Wish I could take:

• omega 3: for whatever reason, any remotely therapeutic dose makes me incredibly depressed and foggy. I know that’s supposedly the opposite of the usual effect but I’ve trialed it many times. Wish I knew that that was about
5 Likes

I’ve tried creatine a few times, and I notice profound achiness in my knees when running while taking it. Do you think this could be a real side effect?

1 Like

Have you ever tried omega 3 from whole food like canned cod liver? Unlike most o3 supplements canned cod liver is never rancid. It tastes buttery and smooth, not fishy at all

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check out that podcast. Was it an interview podcast? Do which podcast it was?

1 Like

The best supplement I have ever taken for sore knees is Boswellia serrata. Oddly, it seems to be better for the knees than any other joints.
“All patients receiving drug treatment reported decrease in knee pain, increased knee flexion and increased walking distance. The frequency of swelling in the knee joint was decreased.”

6 Likes

Thanks. Any particular source you like?

I consistently take magnesium, Vit D3 w/K2-MK7, creatine as well as oral BPC-157 with AOD9604 (peptides).

I am less consistent (but sill bullish) about NMN/niacin, spermidine, quercetin, apigenin, AKG, melatonin, and berberine (when i’m not doing metformin).

4 Likes

She has her own podcast called “FOUND MY FITNESS”. The episode is actually older than I thought (I guess I just listened to it a few months ago). It’s episode #068 “BILL HARRIS ON THE OMEGA-3 INDEX: INCREASING OMEGA-3 TO PROMOTE LONGEVITY & TRANSFORM HEALTH”

2 Likes

I am currently using Double Wood. I have used the NOW brand and they both seem to work. The Double Wood claims to have a higher dose per capsule.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s been awhile since i’ve listened to her podacast. i’ll look for that one.

1 Like

I dont consider creatine as a antiaging supplement , its a performance supplement.

Which is fine too

1 Like

Thats a pretty well composed stack, in that list Id probably keep or re-add at least Glynac, lithium, asthaxanthin, pqq, ashwaghanda, apigenin, fisetin.

Though it really depends on what your goal is.
Supplements are geared towards certain things for example physical performance, cognition, antiaging etc. Without knowing the goal thered be no way of knowing whats good for dropping

If theyre well suited for the goal , i dont belive in stopping a supplement just because one got tired of taking it, or it doesnt feel novel anymore heh.

There was a study suggesting anti-aging benefits in mice:

2 Likes

@Vlasko You have to understand that many things can appear to produce pro healthspan effects but not truely be a meaningful antiaging supplement. Almost any nutrient you can set the conditions to produce a pro-healthspan effect.

Only what comes up on a Google search which is basically what Arhu was referring to.
"Depending on who you ask, the suggested side effects of creatine may include:

• kidney damage.
  • liver damage.
  • kidney stones.
  • weight gain.
  • bloating.
  • dehydration.
  • muscle cramps.
  • digestive concerns.
    While you are supplementing with creatine, your total serum creatine levels and the amount of creatine stored in your muscles increase. When you stop taking creatine, these levels drop, which might cause some ​side effects​, including fatigue, muscle weakness, weight loss and decreased natural creatine production."

In general, on supplements, my view is they are only required where the diet/lack of sunlight (for VitD) is deficient. Many people don’t have time (or are interested in trying) to optimise their diet, so supplements is a good choice for them.

1 Like

I stopped Creatine as it seemed to cause some hair loss for me. some of my hair line grew back after i stopped.

and then i just take a multi vitamin and rapamycin

2 Likes

I had some hair loss

Thanks - I think I might start this after my next discussion with my doc.

Any MD that says creatine causes kidney should have his medical licence revoked. All the other side effects are mostly due to impurities and too large non dissolving crystals, always get creapure creatine and dissolve in hot water

4 Likes

Agree! Most of the reported “harms” of creatine have been debunked over the years, including reports that it harms kidneys or liver, causes hair loss, causes weight gain (other than slight water weight gain in the first few weeks), and causes muscle cramps/dehydration. Layne Norton (@biolayne) is a great source on education around creatine.

4 Likes