Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

I am really trying to cut down on my daily stack of supplements. It looks like getting it down to 10 is impossible. Not only is it not pleasant to take so many supplements, but it is also expensive.
Here is my current minimum daily stack.
In light of more recent studies, I have decided to put NMN back on the list.
Some supplements are not on my list because I get enough in my diet.

Do you see any redundancies?

In alphabetical order, not importance:

Beta-alanine
CoQ10
Curcumin
Fisetin
Glycine
Lithium orotate
Melatonin
MNM
Omega 3
Quercetin
Rapamycin
Trans-Resveratrol
TMG
Vitamin D
Vitamin K2

Or, do you think there are any I could replace with a more important supplement?

2 Likes

I think he has had some plastic surgery because his droopy neck is gone. That doesn’t mean he’s not legit, though.

2 Likes

I counted that I take over 80 capsules a day at different times. I don’t take Rapamycin that often, however. What I do, however, is to swallow them quite a few at a time. I take the largest number at breakfast although I take some roughly every 2 hours. That before I start on melatonin, however, I can take 20 of the 10mg melatonin tablets sometimes I chew three or 5 up to take them rapidly into my blood sublingually. I also take collagen peptides and vanillin in my first cup of tea and I eat a small amount of ginger to start the day. I also eat chia seeds pretty well every day.

Of those I don’t know the merits of CoQ10. I take Omega 3 only twice a week and I don’t take Resveratrol although I do take Pterostilbene.

1 Like

I have no scientific background and this is just my personal opinion….
I’d question if it is worth doing both Fisetin and Quercetin?
If I took Fisetin I think it would just pulse large amounts once every 3 or 6 months - I wouldn’t take daily.
I presume you take the CoQ10 as you take a statin? In which case I’d continue with it, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

There is some evidence q10 enhances physical performance even in highly trained Olympic athletes

Coenzyme Q10 [CoQ10] The Best Vitamin For Endurance Athletes ( check out the olym0ic cyclust rete43nce )

5 Likes

Post the following on another thread a few days ago

Review

Use of carnosine as a natural anti-senescence drug for human beings

3 Likes

How do you eat your ginger? Pickled, raw, tea? I shred raw ginger to make ginger tea or add it in soups, like carrot-ginger soup.

I also eat chia a lot and every day in salads, with tofu, sprinkle it on salmon or farmer cheese.

I make my own sprouts - Alfa-Alfa, broccoli and mung beans. Eat them with everything.

4 Likes

I buy a lot of pickled ginger. Freeze most of it and have a small container I pinch a small amount out of each morning. Probably about 3-5 grams. I quite like ginger and there are some interesting molecules in ginger that might be helpful.

Chia are very good. However, I only try to eat around 25g a day.

3 Likes

Dr. Levine’s new company (Elysium) sells a supplement where you take a daily dose and two days a month you take a combination of quercetin and Fisetin among other ingredients. So they think that these two are complementary for what that’s worth.

2 Likes

So many choices, that is why it is difficult not to take the shotgun approach and take a boatload of supplements every day

Quercetin:

"Anti-inflammatory effects: Quercetin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects in various animal and human studies, possibly by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress.

Antioxidant effects: Quercetin is a potent antioxidant, meaning it can neutralize harmful free radicals that can damage cells and contribute to disease.

Immune system support: Quercetin has been shown to have immunomodulatory effects, possibly by supporting the activity of immune cells such as T cells and natural killer cells.

Cardiovascular health: Some studies suggest that quercetin may have cardiovascular benefits, such as improving endothelial function and reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Anti-cancer effects: Quercetin has been shown to have potential anti-cancer effects, possibly by inhibiting tumor growth and inducing cell death in cancer cells.

Neuroprotective effects: Quercetin may have neuroprotective effects, such as reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain, which could be beneficial for conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease."

So many choices, that is why it is difficult not to take the shotgun approach and take a boatload of supplements every day

Fisetin:

Anti-inflammatory effects: Fisetin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects in various animal and human studies, possibly by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress.

Antioxidant effects: Fisetin is a potent antioxidant, meaning it can neutralize harmful free radicals that can damage cells and contribute to disease.

Senolytic effects: Fisetin has been studied for its potential senolytic effects, meaning it may help remove damaged or senescent cells from the body. This may have implications for aging and age-related diseases.

Cognitive function: Some studies suggest that fisetin may have cognitive benefits, such as improving memory and learning, possibly by modulating pathways involved in brain plasticity and neuroprotection.

Cardiovascular health: Fisetin may have cardiovascular benefits, such as reducing blood pressure and improving endothelial function.

Anti-cancer effects: Fisetin has been shown to have potential anti-cancer effects, possibly by inhibiting tumor growth and inducing cell death in cancer cells.

But, I agree, there is a redundancy here. I took quercetin off and on over the years, fisetin is a recent addition, depending on which way the research winds were blowing at the time. Since I am 82 and my mind is mostly intact I think I will stick with the quercetin.

5 Likes

Because one of my things is acetylation of the histone I think there is a merit in taking HDAC inhibitors (Histone Deacetylase inhibitors). One of those just so happens to be Quercetin.

I collated a list of HDACi s and tried to track down their ic50 threshold. My objective is to slow down deacetylation. Not to stop it.

Here is the list

Sodium Butyrate 0.3, 0.4, 0.3, mM for HDAC1, 2 and 7

Curcurmin 25mcM

Pterostilbene 5mcM

Berberine 20mcM

Apigenin 27 mcM

Dihydromyrecein 36mcM

Quercetin 36mcM

HDA10 (Royal Jelly) 0.5mM

What I find interesting is that substances that are thought have longevity benefits are also HDACi s to me that indicates that perhaps that is one of the big reasons they have longevity benefits.

Incidentally I think Fisetin is also an HDACi, but I don’t have any idea as to the ic50. I would not want to take something with an ic50 in the nanomolar ranges, but those in the micro and milli molar ranges appear quite useful.

3 Likes

I just added beta-alanine to my supplement list. I have taken it in a dose of 2mg in each of my first two cups of coffee in the morning. So far I have experienced only a very mild itching/tingling effect. Supposedly it is more bioavailable than carnosine.
My question is: Am I overdoing it on the senolytics?

1 Like

The test on senolytics (and it is in many ways trying to get senescent cells to function that is the issue - ie senomorphics) is what your minimum CRP level is. That gives a guide to your senescent cell burden (via SASP and IL-6). CRP goes up with infection so you need to do a number of tests to find the minimum.

I think the argument about beta alanine is that it converts to carnosine and carnosine needs to split to have an effect. In any event I have stopped carnosine for now as I wish to track down the tingling (some of which was carnosine).

2 Likes

Maybe the way to do it is have a core group of supplements that you will always take and cycle around a second group of the “potentially” does this and “has been shown to do” that, where you hope it’s doing some good but you never notice anything.

6 Likes

Since I have accumulated a boatload in my cupboard that is exactly what I have been doing. My list is just showing what I am currently taking. It is just hard to keep track of the timing, with or without food, etc. That is why I try to keep my stack down to a manageable few.

2 Likes

For those of you taking NR or NMN, (I am not currently taking) this is a very informative discussion with one of the experts on NR vs NMN.
This is very useful now that Amazon and others are banning the sales of NMN. For those who don’t want to watch the video. He says
NMN is no better than NR.

Though I can’t find any indication that Amazon is actually taking NMN off the shelf.

2 Likes

You can accomplish the same(as NMN) with niacin (nicotinic acid) or niacinamide. And the cost is much less

2 Likes

The wind seems to change direction frequently in this field.

2 Likes

This is the link to the entire paper.

“Use of Carnosine as a Natural Anti-senescence Drug for Human Beings”

Full Article

3 Likes