Urolithin A - Virtual Clinical Trial by Timeline Nutrition

I tried Urolithin A from Timeline nutrition last year. I don’t think its worth the high cost at this point, though I hope I have the right microbiome and can produce my own via the pomegranates / ellagitannins I eat (my new invention today was a simple Vitamix smoothie: carefully slice off just the hard outer peel of the pomegranate, then throw the entire pomegranate into the Vitamix blender with frozen berries, yogurt, inulin, Moringa powder, and a little allulose sweetener. Turned out very good.

Just got this in the email from Timeline Nutrition - so I’ve signed up - perhaps you are interested also (my goal is to check my microbiome to see if I can produce Urolithin A via pomegranate):

Are you a natural producer of Urolithin A? Test to find out.
APPLY NOW ➔
People have used the proverbial saying that “you are what you eat”, but is that always the case? The research shows that nutrients available in or derived from some foods never actually make it into the systems of most people who eat them. That’s because they don’t have the right bacteria in their guts to digest and process them. Urolithin A is a great example of a potent postbiotic that escapes many. Our latest study showed that few people are able to convert natural dietary sources such as pomegranates into meaningful levels of the active postbiotic Urolithin A.
That’s why we invested over 14 years of research to solve this complexity by offering people a precise clinically tested dose of the active compound with Mitopure. Now, we’re taking the science one step further with the launch of the first-ever blood test that can tell you whether you can naturally produce Urolithin A and then shows you how one dose of Mitopure compares. As a science-first company, we always start with the research, which is why we have structured this as an IRB-approved virtual clinical trial that comes with a home test kit (clinicaltrials.gov study number NCT04985630). Participate in the Mitopure Challenge clinical study to compare your levels of Urolithin A from diet versus from Mitopure supplementation (available to US residents only). Join the challenge to measure your levels today.
APPLY NOW ➔

Clinical Trial Data:

Urolithin A News:

Urolithin A research:

Urolithin A, a Gut Microbiome Derived Metabolite Improves Mitochondrial and Cellular Health: Results from a Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind Clinical Trial

Impact of the Natural Compound Urolithin A on Health, Disease, and Aging

4 Likes

I love that this forum captures other interesting compounds like this! I’m trying to decide on whether Mitopure is worth the very high cost.

It seems this works primarily through mitophagy, which makes me wonder how analogous it is to rapamycin. I don’t know of any studies using it in pulsed doses, but on a mechanistic level it seems logical to use it on the same day as rapamycin, perhaps in a slightly higher dose (most studies were 1000mg per day), and save the expense of daily use. Thoughts on this approach?

What about something like this?

I’ve read that something like 40% of so of people have the microbiome that can create Urolithin-A from pomegranates (and derivatives like the powder, etc.). The issue is you don’t know if you are in the 40% or not… I don’t think there is an easily available test for it.

I’m not sure if the Mitopure is worth it… I tried it, but decided to hold off on the large purchase because its so expensive (much more than I pay for rapamycin - so its hard to justify based on an reasonable cost/benefit ratio that is comparable to what I get with rapamycin or acarbose, etc.

I do buy the pomegranate powder and add it to my smoothies… and hope to find out whether my body makes the Urolithin A from pomegranates when I get my test results back from Mitopure (they did a clinical trial that I participated in to find out - as was mentioned in the first post in this thread).

I used this - but there are many different pomegranate powders out there:

3 Likes

Good podcast on Urolithin A - discussion with scientist at the Buck Institute: (and transcript of discussion if you don’t want to listen to it).

2 Likes

In Brian Kennedy’s presentation at AARD2022 he listed the interventions that they are studying. The ones highlighted in gold were the ones that were not working in their lab.

Of the ones that did work, he said that he was particularly interested in Urolithin A “which seems to have pretty robust effects” on longevity in their mouse studies.

2 Likes

yea i don’t see any reason u would have to take the same day as rapa…

Since this thread started, I’ve been thinking about the idea that only 40% of people have the microbiome to create UA. Do we know how static that number is? It seems that the microbiome would respond to diet. If you eat pomegranates every day, you may develop the microbiome to process it.

But these are guesses based on how the microbiome works generally, not anything grounded in studies.

Pomegranate juice should work, but like many of these supplements you would have to consume a lot for an equivalent dose. I may sign up for another year supply of this one. I think I may trash my Sirt 6 activator when that one comes up for renewal.

I’ve been taking pomegranate pill from Pure Encapsulations, as well as eating pomegranates whenever they look good at the store. During my CGM experiment, however, there was nothing that shot my glucose up as much as a pomegranate.

Yes, I am the same. I avoid all fruit juices, but I still eat fruit. I think I will drop cherries though, because I have no ability to control my dose. I love them too much. My CGM goes through the roof.

2 Likes

I bought 6 yellow raspberry plants because they have like 8 times as much ellagic acid as pomegranates. Already fruiting and next year will be much better.

Of course using my slow methods (growing my own) I will need to live a long time to achieve longevity.

4 Likes

Based on my investigations, Urolothin A doesn’t seem to be worth it.

Here’s a video that sums it up nicely.

1 Like

My plan was to blend the raspberries and add them to my yogurt before fermentation in place of the inulin, or in addition to a smaller dose of it. They would provide sugar for the little beggers to do their job, leaving me all the polypheols.

I don’t have any idea if this will work, but there was the idea of using something like the CCFM1291 strains of L. plantarum in the yogurt too that might convert the ellagic acid right there.

Also I found a paper that said red raspberries have more ellagic acid than the yellow. It was from Poland. So the numbers published vary. I have lots of red raspberries so may try a batch with them next week.

I’ve not found a supply of the above mentioned L. Plantarum.

1 Like
1 Like

My hs-CRP was .9 in June 2022 and it is .4 now. I saw people worried that rapamycin was increasing their CRP score. I know tests can very, but I wonder if Urolothin A may have helped? I started taking it after Brian Kennedy identified it as one of the most promising new molecules.

CCFM is a chinese university culture bank. Presumably if you paid them enough they could send you a slant. On the other hand, there is a commercial product (“UltraPome”) that contains DSM 6595 (also known as strain 299) to allegedly metabolize pomegranate phenolics. There are cheaper sources for the same named strain, though one can’t rule out differences in behavior, I suppose.

Good to know. I do so many things and change them often enough that I have trouble getting a good read myself.

The good stuff is expensive, the results vary, I wanted something I can do myself.

Thank you. This is the best idea I have heard. Still $50 for 30 pills is a lot. If I can do a quart of raspberry yogurt with the ultra Pome though, that may work out.

Not having done it myself I can confidently claim that expanding the 30 pills more or less infinitely shouldn’t be a problem.

For economy, maybe use chestnut tannin as an additional source of phenolics.