Statin usage and Desmosterol

Just to make things more complicated.

1 Like

This suggests that we should get LDL as low as possible. Correct?

Yep, seems to…

There is compelling evidence that atherosclerosis occurs only when LDL particles enter the intimal space, which initiates the inflammatory cascade that is atherosclerosis. If there are no LDL particles in the intima, atherogenesis does not occur.[2] This requires keeping circulating LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C) levels low enough (the lower, the better), decreasing them early enough (the earlier, the better), and maintaining them throughout one’s lifetime (the longer, the better), which early detection and modern treatments can readily achieve in nearly every case.

Many facts suggest that a desirable, physiologic level of LDL cholesterol is far lower than previously assumed: …

4 Likes

Another idea :-)…

Repatha 140mg/ml (two pens, one month supply) for about $200 in Istanbul.

or about 11,000 to 19,000 rupees per month (about $130 to $230 US) from India:

https://dir.indiamart.com/search.mp?ss=evolocumab&prdsrc=1&src=as-popular|kwd%3Devolocumab|pos%3D1|cat%3D-2|mcat%3D-2|kwd_len%3D10&res=RC2

Or about $540 to $590/month from GoodRX:

https://www.goodrx.com/repatha

3 Likes

Anyone currently taking Repatha? Any negative side effects?

Some related threads:

Here: Is anyone here on or investigating PCSK9 inhibitors?

Here: How does one get a siRNA shot like inclisiran (for PCSK9 inhibitors) or patisiran?

Here: MK-0616: An Oral PCSK9 inhibitor for High Cholesterol

$200/month is much more affordable than $500. Is the price lower in India and Turkey just because Amgen chooses to sell it at that price there (lower purchasing power)?

1 Like

FWIW

The retail price to end users are controlled in some Countries.

Years back I recall a “new drug”{I do not recall the drug] was being touted at a cost around $10.000 per month{$120.000 per year] in the US.

This manufacturer of this new drug was looking to sell in the New Zealand or Australia market.

When they make an application to sell the Governments Approval Agency will tell the Company what the maximum price they could sell the new drug if approved. The Agency requires all the company cost to manufacturer and does not allow for advertising cost, to get to the point, the same “new drug” was approved and they could sell this “new drug” for a maximum of $10.000 per year{that is correct $10.000 per year] And yes they marketed/sold this new drug making a profit at $10.000 per year down under and $120.000 per year in the US.

The drug manufacturers are NOT your friend.

1 Like

Praluent is dosed at 300 mg one time a month.

However 150 mg one time a month reduces LDL cholesterol by 50%

Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab 150 mg Every 4 Weeks in Patients With Hypercholesterolemia Not on Statin Therapy: The ODYSSEY CHOICE II Study

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/JAHA.116.003421

What is the cost of 1x 150 mg autoinjector of praluent?

1 Like

$500 dollars without insurance.

I’m pretty sure that’s two autoinjectors. No difference in price for dose.

On Amazon, price is $1075 for 6 autoinjectors or $179 for one (bought 6 at a time).

It costs in local pharmacy around 350 eur for two 150 mg pens. Was just getting another thing and asked. I am currently vacationing in Croatia.

1 Like

It’s not too expensive if 150 mg 1 time a month is enough. If they lower the prices more in the coming years.

I take Repatha. 70 mg twice a month. I split each 140mg inj dose in two using a sterile vial, both to stockpile in case insurance decides to balk-as I have seen w friends on this drug- and also bc my LDLC is 31 and ApoB is 42, good enough for now. Also on Zetia 10mg/night. 48M

1 Like

Hi, I read somewhere I think, that if you have issues with normal Statins (muscle pain) and the doctor has tried various options, if you then try a PCSK9 the drug maker would sometimes cover the extra cost?

I’m not sure - part of it is likely the fact that the populations in these countries have much lower earnings on average (GDP per capita): Naturally, few in these countries could afford these drugs at US prices.

GDP per capita: Countries by GDP: The Top 25 Economies in the World
USA: $69,287
Turkey: $9,586
India: $2,277

But, many national healthcare systems (other than the USA) are allowed to negotiate the prices with the Pharma companies, so they negotiate lower costs. These lower prices would may be what are reflected in the sales channels in these countries, though I have no special knowledge of the intersection of national regulations and sales channel pricing in these other countries.

2 Likes

Where did you get $200 price quote in instanbul from? That is even cheaper than 19 000 rupees x 1 on indiamart (near half the price of the medicine in India).

What is the effect of 140 mg Repatha 1 x a month?

Unfortunately I think the price is about $200 per PEN everywhere, meaning it is $400/month from India at two pens a month.

That was posted in the Facebook rapamycin group forum.

I found this website on reddit to check for prices: https://www.ilacrehberi.com/
You can type in top right corner the medicine and press enter. Then choose the medicine in the list.
Use barcode number and put it here to see historical prices too: İlaç Fiyatları | 14 Ağustos 2023 tarihli İlaç Fiyat Listesi

Current price for 2 x 140 mg Repatha is 6,865.68TL or 253,29 $
Current price for 1 x 150 mg Praluent is 3,946.69 TL or 145,60 $

1 Like

Those are really good prices! Hopefully having it sent would not degrade it too much of these semi summer months. As I said above, I take a half dose every two weeks instead of the full dose with 10 mg per day of Ezetimibe…LDLC is 31 and ApoB is 42, so for me the half dose makes sense, u could do that w Praluent and get it for $150 a month, very doable!!

1 Like