Statin usage and Desmosterol

I could use some guidance. I read from Peter Attia and other doctors that if you are on a statin you should get your Desmosterol tested given the potential of cognitive decline with the use of statins. I order the test from Empower Dx and sure enough my Desmosterol came back low (It was 60; absolute value of .8). This suggests to me I should stop the statin.

One question I have is do desmosterol levels go up upon stopping the statin and if so, how long does it take?

Another question I have involves the other items tested with this test:

Beta-sitosterol was high at 304; Campesterol was high at 272. Lathosterol was low at less than 56. Anyone have any insights into what these other labs mean as well?

Appreciate any help with interpretation and if Desmosterol will go back up post stopping statin use.

Thanks

1 Like

You just answered your own question.

What about the other numbers?

Have you done a basic search on PubMed to start about Desmosterol?

Not just an article/comment by a celebrity doctor.

1 Like

“Should” is exaggerating, there isn’t enough evidence to know for sure.
Do you have one or two ApoE4 alleles? Peter wants above 1.0 mg/L for those, and not below 0.8 mg/L for the rest.

1 Like

I’m struggling to find where Peter talks about a Desmosterol level being too low. Does someone have a link?

1 Like

Which Statin are you taking? Sounds like Rosuvistatin is the best.

1 Like

Afaik Atorvastatin is the strongest statin but Rosuvastatin has a better side effect profile due to being hydrophilic.

1 Like

I was on Crestor (Rosuvistatin). Just stopped due to these markers.

1 Like

I don’t see the test on their list… what is it called? (is it new)? What is the cost? Anyone else gotten their desmosterol levels tested? I looked on Lifeextension.com testing and they don’t offer it.

Ah - found it - its part of the cholesterol test:

another source for the test:

And stumbled upon this by Thomas Dayspring:

Sterol_Testing.pdf (51.3 KB)

1 Like

Hope I’m not prying, but I’m finding this topic very interesting.

Were you on a statin for high cholesterol or just for general health?
Did you lower the dose first or were you already on the lowest dose? (10 mg)

Appreciate your interest. MY LDL started to rise when taking Rapamaycin so I started on 10 mg and then went to 20 mg.

We’re you also using ezetimibe? I understand from Dayspring that a combo of low dose rosuvastatin plus eze can work better than a higher dose of rosu. Something about reducing the body’s response of increasing of cholesterol gut absorption when increasing LDL receptors via statin. I use this approach successfully, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

No I was not on an ezetimibe. But since stopping statin, I’m on Zetia. Will see labs in three months to see how numbers look after stopping statin and starting Zetia.

1 Like

My desmosterol Was also .8 (I have ApoE 3,4) so I switched over to PSK9 inhibitor and bempedoic acid and I rechecked my desmosterol 7 weeks later. My desmosterol went higher from < 91 to <111. I will again check desmosterol in 3 months.

The plant sterols( beta-sitosterol and campesterol )were also high so I started ezetamide also.
I am also on rostuvastatin which I reduced to 1.25 mg BID
Now my LDL-c was 14 (Measured) and apoB was 25.
Obviously no cardiologist would approve my regimen of 4 LDLc reducing drugs
Khursheed

Zetia = Ezetimibe

Post must be at least 20 characters

Please, do not stop the statin without consulting with your doctor. The risk of cardiovascular events can increase very rapidly after the discontinuation of a statin if you have underlying CAD. Your doctor may choose other modalities to reduce your cholesterol if needed.

Does anyone know the parameters where an insurance company will cover a PSK9 inhibitor?