Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

What you need to work out is the amount of time you want r to be inactive and the threshold. Then do the maths.

1 Like

I have just taken my highest dose of Rapamycin yet - 3 mg + GFJ + EVOO. I mixed in 500 mg of Spermidine into the EVOO as well. I am hoping to have no worse side effects than before. Wish me luck!

(Although I wouldn’t mind more euphoria.)

2 Likes

Well, there were side effects this time. The acne on my neck got darker red and began to itch. They did not itch before. It makes me believe that it may be a hive/rash instead of acne as I have never had acne that itches. It’s like a little warning light on my neck that gets darker the more Rapamycin I take.

There was a little fatigue but not as much as before. Same with euphoria/nausea. I was able to do some hiking without feeling nauseous. That’s about it. Not too bad for 50% more dose.

1 Like

Another weird but good side effect today. I am not sure how I could describe it, but my joints (except my knuckles and toes) feel amazing. Maybe I should call it joint euphoria? It’s actually pleasurable to bend my joints. I never really had joint pain before, but now it’s akin to joint pleasure. Has anyone else experienced this???

1 Like

I always have that a few days after going quite strict carnivore, my joints start feeling light and supple, movement becomes easy like there is less drag (or in cycling terminology no more brake rub)

1 Like

Yes! Exactly! So, there you go. But this is from Rapamycin. I never do strict carnivore.

1 Like

From DeStruder…Maybe I should call it joint euphoria? It’s actually pleasurable to bend my joints. I never really had joint pain before, but now it’s akin to joint pleasure. Has anyone else experienced this???

Exactly… I call it my high school swagger… walking and feeling the movement down my spine to my hips. Had a manual body treatment adjusted total body. the physician (a former body builder himself) noted - your flexibility and movement is fantastic. We chatted about rapamycin as he worked on me.

Kind of feels nice to walk…and over shift my weight from side to side… very youthful again.

I try to only do this when nobody is around… even swaggering from machine to machine at the gym going to the next set.

Lol. Glad it is not just me… totally lean and toned now.

1 Like

So, if positive side effects are being seen at higher dosages, does that mean those higher dosages are more optimal? Seems like a bit of a catch 22 where good and bad side effects are gained at higher dosages.

Unfortunately most of these side effects we feel are hard to quantify in health benefits or changes.

2 Likes

Please discuss safety of Rapamycin, especially for the patients with prediabetes, preexisting atherosclerosis and hyperlipidemia. I am very concerned about using Rapamycin in patients with these conditions. As a physician, I always tried not to harm my patients. Rapamycin MAY have a life/healthspan prolonging effect, but elevated blood glucose, worsening of atherosclerosis have known detrimental effect on health. Adding several medications to conteract side -effects of Rapamycin is not necessarily a good idea.
I would also appreciate an information about an age-span of the participants in the blog. What is percentage of people older than 70? Do they have same side-effects profile? Do women have the same side -effects as men?
I noticed an elevation of fasting glucose and an episode of 12 -day unilateral migraine after taking 4 mg of Sirolimus ( the dose was gradually increased). I may have had one similar episode about 20 years ago. Please help!

I don’t think anyone really knows too much about the safety of rapamycin in patients with pre-existing conditions like pre-diabetes (or diabetes), etc. There have been no studies on these patient populations (specifically).

There are doctors like Dr. Allan Green who have hundreds of older patients on rapamycin (last count I think I heard he was up over 900 patients on rapamycin, all over the age of 40 and most over 50 years of age). I have to believe that a significant percent have pre-existing conditions (given their higher age), but I’ve not heard any specific results or commentary on his patients with pre-existing conditions.

I completely agree with your comment that “adding several medications to counteract the side-effects of rapamycin is not necessarily a good idea”.

You can look at our user survey and see the age-distribution of the rapamycin users that have responded to the poll / survey. In survey #2 we asked people the age when they started rapamycin, see here: Approximately 87% of Rapamycin Users Plan to Keep Using the Longevity Drug

Since you are a recently-retired neurologist, and based in San Francisco (like myself), you may be interested in attending the Longevity Summit up at the Buck Institute on Dec. 6 and 7th, as you could ask more detailed questions from many of the researchers in the field: The Longevity Summit, and the Bay Area Aging Meeting

Given your background in neurology I think you might really benefit from asking the researchers detailed questions. Matt Kaeberlein will be there, and he is a leader in the rapamycin research (you may want to review this publication: Rapamycin and Alzheimer’s disease: Time for a clinical trial? - PMC

If you do end up going to either the Longevity Summit, or the Bay Area Aging Meeting (BAAM), let me know, as it would be interesting to talk and compare notes.

2 Likes

macneu2299, It’s great to see another doctor in my age category researching Rapamycin. I hope you find the answers to your questions soon. My point of view at this time is that it has good health benefits with little downside.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the response and reminding me about the Dr. Allan green patients.
I will try to attend the Buck Institute Summit and hope to meet you there!

2 Likes

Took another dose of 3 my + GFJ. I have bad fatigue without euphoria. I just wanted to lie in bed all day and did not have the desire to do any of the things I should be doing like paying bills or taking the kids to lessons. I could still do them, but it was a fight. Most of the fatigue came at night.

The two rashes on my neck have not gotten darker, but they both itch for a couple days after taking Rapamycin. I don’t notice any effect when applying hydrocortisone or adapalene. However the itching is not severe.

No nausea this time, but I was too fatigued to exercise. I did go to my sons school function and walked around for 3 hours in the afternoon and that was OK.

Wife and I got into a fight about my wanting to lie down so much. Obviously this can’t happen regularly. Not a terrible day but not a good one. I hope it gets better soon.

1 Like

Sorry, you are having unpleasant effects from rapamycin. Your potential dose of rapamycin taken with grapefruit is potentially quite
high. It took me quite some time experimenting with doses to find my personal sweet spot, 5mg/weekly with EVOO.

Coincidentally, the same dose that Dr. Green was prescribing for most of his patients.
I could have saved a lot of time following Dr. Green’s advice as opposed to Dr. Blagosklonny’s. Not that Dr.Blagosklonny was wrong, it just caused me to do more experimenting than was actually needed.

At your age, I would think that 5mg/weekly would be more than enough for max life extension. Grapefruit juice is problematic and may interfere with the medications and supplements you are taking. Personally, I dropped the grapefruit juice.

5 Likes

Did you detailed anywhere how you take it ? I am interested same approach, but not sure how to do it correctly.

1 Like

Just drop the pills into a shot of EVOO. That’s what I do too.

2 Likes

24 hours later fatigue and itchiness have cleared up.

1 Like

What is a shot? A tablespoon? A teaspoon? Details please

To be more specific, 15 ml of EVOO. About 1 tablespoon should be enough. If you want the lower all cause mortality that EVOO gives, you could bump it up to 30 ml.

I drink 30 ml of EVOO daily.

1 Like