Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

Established science says we should keep these markers in bounds.
It takes a leap of faith to say the markers don’t matter if we are taking rapamycin, Dr. Blagosklonny to the contrary.

3 Likes

To follow up, I just had an upper tooth extraction and asked the oral surgeon about the sensitivity to pressure above my upper lip that continued after the novocaine had numbed me. He said yes, I saw there was an infection. He said he would include that in his report to the referring dentist.

So apparently I have had what may be a chronic bacterial infection since September! When I asked my regular dentist about it several weeks ago, he kind of dismissed it. Is that something that should be visible to a trained eye? I am a little miffed that it wasnt addressed.

Since I had some azithromycin on hand, I began a round yesterday. It looks like doxycycline would have been preferred.

Still havent heard back from my dentist.

3 Likes

Just wanted to report that I did get the Urea yesterday and it added easily to the liquid Dove and it dissolved. I weighed it at 10% of the final solution. Used it to shower and it was a little soapier and worked perfectly.

I remember as a kid catching piglets for my Dad to be castrated. They would sprint through their bathroom as a way to escape and of course it was a dirty job. I don’t recall ever having one get infected though. Never mind that, I noticed back then that after you wash your hands when the job is done they are cleaner than they have ever been. We talked about using urea in soap. This would have been the 1970’s.

I’ve only had one minor mouth sore and 3 years and I’ve had significant and ongoing positive benefits from 6mg/week of Sirolimus. I verified that by stopping for 6 weeks and saw the positive changes start to roll back. I also tried bumping up to 8 mg and got a bit of a mouth sore so for me the 6mg is working. It may or may not be optimal but I’m fine with pretty damn good.

4 Likes

Second weekly dose of 2 mg + GFJ after a 5 week break and the rash on the neck has gotten worse. I guess it never truly healed. I am hoping the Differin cream will help these. They are not itchy or irritating, just annoyingly ugly spots.

Have a bit less euphoria and less fatigue than usual after dosing. However, I feel great and healthy. Am hoping Rapamycin will continue to lower my epigenetic age as I feel it was the major driver of the 7 year decrease I experienced.

2 Likes

Maybe you have already explained, but why aren’t you stopping the juice ? You have no control on the actual dosage you are taking.

I have a limited number of pills. It is a big hassle for me to get more, so i have to increase the bioavailability as much as possible. 2 mg plus GFJ is equivalent to 6-7 mg.

Also, i have restarted the hair tonic which has Rapamycin dissolved in DMSO in it. So i may actually be taking a fairly high dose.

I am just trying to max my Rapamycin exposure while mitigating side effects.

Also my wife said “Arent you trying to be younger?”
“Yes, of course!”
"When is the last time you got acne?’
‘When I was a teenager.’
‘There you go.’

Hard to argue with that logic

4 Likes

Well, not that hard… the reasons you had acne in your 20s are vastly different than the ones you have it now.

Since you have a limited supply of rapa, at some point you will have to go above and beyond to get more, so better start that process now and go on a more generally used dose to get the side effects to a minimum.

My 2 c

3 Likes

That last part is just my quirky humor. :wink:

3 Likes

Unfavorable follow up:
I reported previously in October that when I asked my dentist about my dental pockets he had said they were In normal range, (should be about 1-3mm) after having recomended periodontal work some years before. Unfortunately the dentist must have neglected to check the pocket around a front tooth. A new dentist, consulted for the continuing slight pain in my front tooth, (which my old dentist dismissed) measured the pocket (under anaesthesia) to be about 13mm! So now I need a root canal.

Its not enough to have a semi annual hygienist cleaning along with routine dental exams, regular brushing, flossing, and water-picking, if your dentist is negligent.

So now I have questions:

• Did rapamycin-reduced immunity result in a condition where bacteria could thrive for months?
  • Or if the blood supply is such that antibiotics dont reach the infection in your tooth, (which some sources say is the case), does it follow then that any immune lowering from rapamycin would not have been a significant factor on bacterial growth in that area anyway?
  • Or should the point of view be that the infection didn’t spread beyond the immediate area so that is a positive result of the rapamycin?

I’ve had no other side effects from a biweekly effective dose of about 30mg of rapa.

Have there been other reports of bacterial infections of the teeth and gums? Can anyone put a proper perspective on this?

1 Like

Given that the half life of rapa is 60 hours i would think you are probably permanently impacting your immune system and should take it less frequently. Then again i am yet to take rapa the second time. I need to understand the limitations of a new lab first.

You did understand that my biweekly is in the meaning of every other week? So the tiny amount left in the system after 14 days I dont think would have a significant effect on mTOR2.

If the effective dose is 30mg then after 14 days that’s about 5 1/2 half lives. Hence the dosage that remains is just under the equivalent of 1mg for the last 30 hours. For all but 90 hours it is the equivalent of an effective dose of 2mg.

I don’t know what effect that has on mTOR2, but I personally think that it is a good idea not to undermine these systems too much of the time. Even for older people like myself (age 62), particularly for younger people.

2 Likes

I do see your point and think that regular washouts are advisable.

But the unknown remains, whether there is even enough blood supply to the root of the tooth that the immune system has much of an impact on bacterial growth in that area.

(And I’m a lot older than you, so I’m inclined to take a more aggressive dose)

2 Likes

Have you ever had your peak or trough blood sirolimus levels tested?

1 Like

No. Are you thinking that a high trough level in the amount of accumulation at the end of a 14 day cycle suggests significant inhibition of mTOR2?

1 Like

Yes - exactly. In normal (transplant) use of rapamycin they test trough levels to make sure that the blood sirolimus level is high enough (to guarantee mTORC2 suppression and consequent immunosupressance) but in our use we want the opposite; to make sure we’re out of “the zone” and not overly inhibiting mTORC2.

1 Like

I’m going to be talking to a bunch of the researchers in a few weeks at the Longevity Summit, at the Buck Institute. I’ll be asking people if there is any progress in terms of measuring mTORC2 levels more directly, and how long precisely it takes (of “chronic rapamycin use”) to actually get mTORC2 inhibition, and if there are personal variables that we might want to be aware of that modulate or impact this inhibition.

7 Likes

Well, thats definitely some great questions.

2 Likes

I expect it takes 18 days to achieve a 99% elimination of rapamycin from my system.

I will change my dosing to a 3 week cycle. My calendar app can handle that.

3 Likes