Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

Thanks, but this is rather useless… given the amount of variation in “shot” volume.

@DeStrider thank you for clarifying.

You are welcome. As an aside, I have found most powdered supplements increase their bioavailability in EVOO - spermidine, fisetin, quercetin, apigenin, NMN, resveratrol, etc…

Just add the powders to EVOO, mix and drink.

1 Like

(I realise this is some time ago)
Might be a good idea to be careful with sirolimus + ibuprofen.
drugs.com/drug-interactions:
suggests the possibility of a severe interaction with ibuprofen,
specifically affecting the kidneys.

Link here:
drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1310-0,2069-0

On the other hand, medscape lists no interactions between the two.

4 Likes

Sirolimus may reduce the effectiveness of Metformin, which is why increasing the Metformin dose might be helping.
See https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/metformin-with-sirolimus-1573-0-2069-0.html
and/or https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

1 Like

I don’t like Ibuprofen myself. it causes an odd effect on my cardiovascular system about 30 mins after taking it (so I don’t take it now). However, I think I have tried to bottom out the Rapamycin Kidneys issue before and not found a good evidence base.

Agree there are no studies.
The warning comes from clinical experience in immunosuppression patients,
see: https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1310-0,2069-0&professional=1
but given the high doses some people are taking
and that some of these people may have some history of T2D with some potential kidney compromise,
caution seems like a good idea.

Actually I’ve always had a soft spot for Ibuprofen as I injure myself a lot
and the reduction of inflammation (for the ancient body such as my own) always seemed helpful.

2 Likes

If you are taking spermidine supplements here is something to consider:

3 Likes

I watched the video. It’s the same argument against spermidine - It can’t be found in the blood after dosing. This is why the ITP had problems with it. Dr. Brad is just regurgitating that info.

Other studies have shown it to help autophagy.

I use it as an autophagy booster and mix it into the EVOO when I take my Rapa. If it boosts autophagy, I want it to work synergistically with Rapamycin. Worst case I am wasting money. Best case I am improving my effects of Rapamycin. I don’t see any health downside to taking a high dose of spermidine (wheat germ). It’s a moonshot though.

I take Rapamycin on Saturday morning and I take spermidine Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

4 Likes

Here is an update on my suspected case of bacterial oral infection as a side effect of biweekly high dose rapamycin. As a precaution I recently changed from biweekly to triweekly dosing.

Referred for possible root canal, I consulted a top endodontist in the Washington DC area. However, from his examination he reported a normal pulp and was unable to determine from his tests and a full mouth scan why one tooth was sensitive and why there was inflammation. It was not the usual suspects.

He called me at home at the end of the day to tell me he was able to see that I possibly had a cemental tear, i.e. a thread of cementum separated from the root. He said it had probably been 7 years since the last time he saw one.

So the inflammation and erosion of bone was possibly from the tear rather than from bacteria.

Before proceeding to the periodontist for a final opinion and oral surgery I will try for a few months to regenerate the bone and heal the cementum. Since there is no urgency, I think its worth a try to induce more bone formation with 50mg Zinc, vitamin K2, and rapamycin toothpaste plus water pik using rapamycin mouthwash in order to reach deep into the pocket.

5 Likes

Sucking melatonin at a good time for the circadian cycle can reduce oral inflammation. A good time is during the early morning before finally waking.

1 Like

Good idea. I can try that before my final awakening. If I’m awake enough to remember.

It has the advantage of topping up your mitochondrial melatonin throughout the body and also reducing oral inflammation. I use the biovea, eurovital type which has a reasonably nice berry flavour. However, if you are in the USA there may be other ones.

As I reported on my journey log, in the late afternoon after taking my first 1mg dose of rapa in the morning I got two huge herpes rashes around my nose and inside my nostrils. After that some headaches appeared, and I never have headaches. Over night I got some soreness in my throat and now I feel like a cold is coming.

Coincidence or not, I dont know… will see.

1 Like

Did they try duraphat, old stuff but works really well

1 Like

Unfortunately, the rashes I had before have returned in the same location and are getting larger. Is it possible they are bacterial infections? They get dramatically lighter when I stop Rapamycin but they are still there. Any suggestions for getting rid of these annoyances?

1 Like

Same here, it looks like not a bacterial infection, because I took various oral antibiotics, and it didn’t help.

2 Likes

Looks like we are in the same boat, Lee. If you find anything that works, post it here. I have tried an antibacterial ointment, hydrocortisone cream and adapalene tonight. Here’s hoping the combo works.

In this case report, benzoyl peroxide, erythromycin, adapalene, doxycycline are all ineffective for the rapamycin acne.

Topical treatment with benzoyl peroxide, erythromycin, and then
adapalene followed by oral treatment with
doxycycline (2 ! 50 mg/day) was ineffective.

However in this paper, isoconazole successfully treated the acne in 3 of 6 patients.

One patient treated his eruption with isoconazole spontaneously.
Because this treatment was considered very effective, 6 other patients were treated with isoconazole,
successfully in 3 of them

Due to that paper, recently I tried isoconazole on my acne, it didn’t work, but I have a good news! When I applied isoconazole cream in the very early stage of acne, it was completely healed.

If you are about to have an acne, apply isoconazole ASAP, you have chance to cure it. Isoconazole is cheap in Taiwan here, you can easily get it from pharmacy, but Isoconazole has its limit, it’s very ineffective for the mature acne, I am still seeking for a more effective way to treat rapamycin acne.

4 Likes

Good to know. I will try that. I wish they would go away quickly.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information. It certainly seems worth trying if I can get it.