Rapamycin and sexual health - I've got questions!

Rapamycin has been shown to improve erectile dysfunction in rats (at high doses) but I’ve not seen much discussion about possible (beneficial) sexual side effects in humans. I treat a lot of ED so am very curious. Does anyone care to share articles or personal experiences with this?

5 Likes

This is a recent rat study. They fed rats a Western Diet (WD) vs Control Diet (CD) and then gave them 1 mg/kg or 2 mg/kg intraperitoneal Rapamycin in three doses.

They noted that the WD caused erectile function changes by 8 weeks and caused a 65% increase in ROS (which is the assumed cause of the erectile dysfunction). The high dose Rapa blunted the ROS seen in the WD group and restored erectile function.

Rapa didn’t have much effect on the CD group (but, they also didn’t have erectile dysfunction to speak of).

Rapamycin Suppresses Penile NADPH Oxidase Activity to Preserve Erectile Function in Mice Fed a Western Diet - PMC.

3 Likes

AmyK I will share that I am 80 years old and have been on 6mg Rapa for 6 months and have not noticed any change my erectile function. For better or worse. :wink:

5 Likes

AmyK I treat a lot of ED so am very curious. Does anyone care to share articles or personal experiences with this?

I think in general some members might be reluctant to share. That said, many urologists, mine being one of those, sees a daily 2 mg of tadalafil as good for the male urinary health.

Been on sirolimus for 2 years and 3 months… daily small dose tadalafil one year. All works like from my college days. Lol. Mornings - at wake-up, all day and night too.

I definitely think the weekly rapamycin/sirolimus in combo with tadalafil is a winner for sexual function and health.

2 Likes

m48, I almost had a wet dream last week but I woke up. I haven’t had one in maybe a decade…

on rapa since late june, current dose 6mg fortnightly

2 Likes

Appreciate the share.

1 Like

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Yes! I think daily low dose PDE5i’s are fantastic - keeping nitric oxide levels up make erections possible by improving blood flow and also nourishes the smooth muscle cells of the penis.

And, it makes sense to me that Rapa + PDE5i would be a great combo. I’d love to hear more user reports.

3 Likes

I’ve read on the forum that some men have experienced nighttime erections for the first time in years while on Rapamycin. It’s obviously common for younger men while they sleep, but curbs in older age.

2 Likes

Rapamycin has had no direct effects. However, over a lifetime, the lower the BMI the better and more frequent the erections. Rapamycin may have a benefit by lowering body weight.

2 Likes

That’s great info. Thanks!

1 Like

Amy, yes - I’ve heard many cases of “morning wood” (erections) from people here in the forum - and in our poll/survey we did before. Also - search our forums on the topic “morning wood” and you’ll find more instances I believe.

See in our survey, 15% of participants reported improved erections (not sure what percent of the poll/survey participants were male, but my gut feel is that about 60% to 70% of participants here are male, so if 15% of total respondents report improved erections, that would suggest about 20 to 25% of men got improved erections):

Did you see this post: Rapamycin Improves Erections

6 Likes

@RapAdmin Awesome! I figured you had a survey somewhere about this. I should have known to search for “morning wood” instead of “sexual health”! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have your patients tried low intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS)?

2 Likes

I should have known to search for “morning wood” instead of “sexual health”!

Yeah… I wasn’t going to say it… but definitely a wake up thing…every day. Not complaining at almost 65 years. Lol

2 Likes

@JuanDaw I’ve not used pulsed ultrasound, although I’ve treated patients with low intensity Shockwave Therapy for years. I’ll check it out!

1 Like

@Agetron That’s kind of amazing.

1 Like

Reallly… hahaha.

Just as active as I was at 30 years completely the same. Nobody told me it should be different. Morning and night…every day.

I do take 2 capsules of Sunflower Lecithin nightly. Have for years…definitely makes a load.

Anything less would be depressing.

1 Like

I’ve had two or three ‘wet dreams’ since starting on rapamycin in January. That hadn’t happened in many years!

2 Likes

It seems the good doctor wants to add to her arsenal of remedies, which could be rapamycin.

This is not a plug. I have never met the doctor, nor ever been to Utah.

4 Likes