Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

I would love to see the study or data that points to this hard fact.

4 Likes

I worked with many cardiologists and stroke experts over the years. I also attended multiple lectures by cardiologists and vascular neurologists discussing risks of atherosclerosis and use of statins for prevention and treatment. Most doctors who recommend a medication to a patient believe or at least hope, that it will help the patient.
I actually agree with Dr. Attia and his experts who are cardiologists or lipidologists.

4 Likes

This was an excellent podcast. I continue to wonder why many health care providers don’t seem to be aware of (or utilize) the “special” beta blocker nebivolol. It’s generic now, and has all the benefits of the old BBs with virtually none of the downsides (has vasodilating effects from unique vascular nitric oxide releasing properties, so no sexual or metabolic dysfunction, for instance). Instead they seem to just lump it in with all the other BBs and they don’t prescribe it. Peter’s line of questioning regarding BP after sitting for 5 min (the only time we measure it) vs BP during the rest of the day including stressful events is particularly relevant, it would seem. After all, what better a med than a BB to not only lower BP in general but also to keep one’s heart from freaking out during stress?

2 Likes

Thomas Dayspring explaining how newborns have apoB of 30 and LDL of 20 - five year olds have apoB of 50. This is during a period of high growth and brain development.

“It’s about lifetime risk, not 10 year risk” (paraphrased)

“If we can maintain apoB of 30 to 40 there can’t possibly be atherosclerosis, lp(a) aside”

3 Likes

A total of 829 physicians and advanced practice providers within a large, mostly primary care network were surveyed about their personal use of statins and their attitudes toward patient use of these medications. … The response rate was 28.8%, with 239 surveys completed and analyzed. … Most responses were from family practice and internal medicine providers, who comprise the majority of the network, and most were between ages 31 and 50.

Sixty providers [25%] were taking a statin medication at the time of the survey … Nearly one third of the clinicians over age 40 who took statins used them for primary prevention, as compared to just 7.6% of the general adult US population. …

Another 15 had previously taken one but had discontinued it, 9 due to adverse effects and 6 who had either improved their risk profile or had an intervening condition like pregnancy.
Survey of Personal Use of Statins by Prescribers - ScienceDirect

I put it to you that if they had received surveys from older doctors and/or more cardiologists, the rate of statin use would be even higher.

2 Likes

Exactly. Thank you for that survey.

These type of surveys are indeed interesting.

I remember several years back when doctors were questioned about the source of their medication knowledge. The vast majority of doctors responded that most of their information comes from the drug reps visiting their offices and peddling their drugs. So there’s that.

3 Likes

The statins all have generics now, so few to no drug reps are coming around to sell them. If they’re coming around at all (pharma detailing has declined dramatically in recent years due to regulation and physician practice), they’re selling bempedoic acid for statin-intolerant people (both the tiny number of genuinely statin-intolerant people and those who get nocebo muscle pain) and PCSK9 inhibitors.

1 Like

I read a survey in 2016 from a very reputable journal that said people trying to win meaningless arguments online always cited made up surveys. I always found that fascinating.

1 Like

I wrote and post above; "Ask cardiologists, they will prescribe it for their patients, but they{the majority will not personally in use them that is a real hard fact."

75% is a majority

“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

~W. Clement Stone

1 Like

You wouldn’t expect a majority of cardiologists to be taking statins, since a majority aren’t eligible for statins. Only 48.6% of the US population between the ages of 40 and 75 years are eligible for statins under 2013 guidelines, and as I noted, most of the survey respondents were between ages 31 and 50 (thus disproportionately ineligible), and were largely internists rather than cardiologists. “I put it to you that if they had received surveys from older doctors and/or more cardiologists, the rate of statin use would be even higher.”

Aditionally, doctors are of high socioeconomic status and thus likely to be at lower CVD risk than the general population because of lower smoking rates, better diet, and other advantages.

5 Likes

“All things take the path of least resistance, with one exception the truth” ~Joseph

2 Likes

My issue with statins is that they block the body’s ability to synthesize coenzyme Q10. For me, this is a VERY big risk. Read my article titled The Importance of Crystal-Free CoQ10 on my webiste/blog:

1 Like

Statins are not the only way to lower apob, just use something else.

3 Likes

I think everyone is well aware that stating block CoQ10 production - apart from most ‘regular’ physicians - who in my experience have never even mentioned CoQ10 when prescribing statin therapy.

At the end of the day - everyone has to make their own decision about lipid lowering therapy because everyone is bioindividual (and everyone appears to have their own ‘agenda’).

There is a risk/reward profile to every action - including statins. Reward is lowering of ApoB - which is causal in ASCVD - which is by far the no1 killer in most western civilisations. The minus is that 5% of people get muscle soreness, and that it blocks CoQ10.

I believe CoQ10 should be supplemented when taking statins of course. Just like I believe those with atherogenic dyslipidemia may get benefit from statins (if they are tolerated).

This is just MY view - and appears to be the view of many accomplished lipidologists and physicians as well.

P.s. if you’re so paranoid about statins - just use diet/ezetimibe/PCSK9i/Bempedoic acid/psyllium husk/red yeast rice/etc etc. No big deal.

I think there’s a contradiction :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the fact check the world is a better place for having keen eyed people like you around

To be fair there has been a question raised as to whether in the USA the statin is removed from RYR. In the UK it is left in it.

1 Like

Does psyllium husk work as well as a statin?

Four Brazil nuts once a month can lower LDL by 15-20 points.

7 Likes