Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

No, but it can help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately psyllium doesnā€™t work like statins. It may have a minor positive effect on glucose and lipids, but only very minor. Itā€™s good to prevent constipation and add a soluble fiber.

2 Likes

what kind of witchcraft is this? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

PCSK9i are the game changer but not easy to get for prevention.

Have to wait until MK-0616 goes through and is available from Indiamart

Have you tested yourself? Testing LDL, eating some brazil nuts, testing a few weeks later?

Personally, no I havenā€™t. For years my LDL has been in the 53-58 range with just diet, so I havenā€™t been aggressively testing. I think the last time I had it tested, I was around 58 and hadnā€™t done the Brazil nuts in a while, so there may be a lower bound to effectiveness, ie. not sure if you could get into the 30 mg/dl range. I probably need to do more lipid testing now that Iā€™m on rapa.

The study was a 4X randomized crossover, so youā€™d think it would be a good study.

Unfortunately it appears that Brazil nut study was an anomaly. I got excited about it a few years ago when Dr. Greger mentioned it in a YouTube video, but after further exploration it doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s anything to it:

Effect of Brazil Nuts on Selenium Status, Blood Lipids, and Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials - PubMed (nih.gov)

3 Likes

Davin8r

Have you personally tried using Brazil nuts and testing before and after?

Yes. I didnā€™t see a change.

Thanks for posting this, I was unaware of this meta analysis. Too bad.

Breaking down the numbers on the recent trial of the statin alternative nexletol. In terms of relative risk, there was a 23% reduction in heart attacks. In absolute terms, the control group had an incidence of 4.8% compared with 3.7% of the treatment group, for an absolute difference of 1.1%.
No difference in overall mortality rates at 6.2 vs 6.0%.

1 Like

If it causes an increase in Urate/Uric Acid then it is not surprising (if Perlmetter is right) that there is no real mortality difference. I intend studying Urate a bit once I have last weekā€™s blood test results.

The argument appears to be that increased Urate drives metabolic syndrome to some extent.

But it does not include the study you posted though. The three included studies in meta analysis were done with obese, hypertensive and dyslipidaemic patients. Yours states healthy volunteers. But yes, it sounded too good to be true. :sweat_smile:

Ahh, I didnā€™t check the meta analysis in detail and assumed they included it. I wonder why they didnā€™t. So maybe it does work, only in healthy people? One would need to try it, test and see.

With all the cross over and washout periods, that would be one heck of an anomaly, as long as the data arenā€™t made up.

I have regularly tested my lipids for years and adding Brazil nuts to my diet daily has done nothing for me. N of 1

6 Likes

Apologies if this has been posted already. But this pilot is incredible fish oil tablets + metformin reduces apob by 40%

2 Likes

Very nice results if they can be extrapolated to the general population. Is there any other research in this area?

I found thisā€¦

2 Likes

It canā€™t since they had metabolic syndrome with hypertriglyceridemia, with a small sample size.

1 Like

Sadly the general population has metabolic syndrome to quite an astonishing degree. Metabolic Syndrome - What Is Metabolic Syndrome? | NHLBI, NIH.

2 Likes