Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

The skunk works version gives you >3X the mg for < 1/5 the cost
(GoodRx < $20 for 30 50mg tablets), But my question was whether there would be any difference in efficacy v. the compounded pharm. version.

The bempedoic acid study is supportive of the LDLā€™s causal role in ASCVD. Granted the effects were modest (13% relative risk reduction, I believe?) but LDL reduction was fairly modest as well (21% ?) and of course weā€™d expect to see larger risk reduction with extended periods of time, as with all lipoprotein interventions. Note this doesnā€™t mean that inflammation isnā€™t critically important, just that IMO we should be attacking ASCVD from both angles.

I have updated strongly to take things with a grain of salt from anyone who speaks about inflammation. Why? The same people never mention proven causal risk factors. Itā€™s becoming a quack term and all cure panacea at this point, IMO. But I am not going to be ideological about it. If thereā€™s a drug that lowers inflammation and that reduces CVD events, etc, independent of lowering LDL, I believe it.

Some postulate that lowering inflammation become only of interest at low LDLā€™s.

In practice, therefore, although not yet evidence based, before considering the addition of an anti-inflammatory drug, LDL-C might be reduced to a level below 55 mg/dL (1.42 mmol/L), the new target for very high-risk patients in the ESC guidelines

2 Likes

Did you read the opinion paper (ā€œfalse dichotomyā€) that you referenced? It supports exactly what I said above. It even includes trials with two anti-inflammatory drugs that further reduced risk above and beyond lowering LDL. Itā€™s true ā€“ itā€™s a false dichotomy. Itā€™s not either/or, itā€™s both.

4 Likes

Yes, I wrote that before I read it.
My point was about ideology and people either way, not whether anti-inflammatory drugs work or do not work for this purpose.

I need to read more about anti-inflammatory drugs and ASCVD, but it seems like a good idea if youā€™re preventing ASCVD by lowering LDL as if anti-inflammation didnā€™t matter at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed that their blood coagulates quicker via small cuts/wounds? If so, are you worried about hypercoagulation at all?

I think one of the most noticeable side-effects or maybe benefits has been how fast I stop bleeding when I get small cuts or wounds since beginning rapamycin.

I get my blood tested again next month, but is this a worrisome sign? Is my blood too thick increasing my risk for blood clots?

2 Likes

Interesting. I have not seen that anywhere as a side effect of rapamycin. My personal experience is quite the opposite. Since I started rapamycin the blood flow from a finger prick when I am testing my glucose levels is much larger.

Are you sure you are properly hydrated?
Also, I would recheck the supplements or medications you are taking. I think it is probably something other than rapamycin.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big supplements guy and am not really taking anything else aside from a daily multivitamin. I stay well hydrated, I donā€™t drink soda. I average over 30 miles a week running, which scientifically speaking, exercise is a blood thinner.
Obviously this is n=1, but I only had one lifestyle change when this started to occur, which was legit only about 2-3 weeks after I started rapamycin and has been like this ever since. At first I thought it was awesome, because I seemed to even be healing faster (which is still the case).
But, a friend told me that it could be a negative sign, how fast my blood was coagulating after a small cut. After reading a bit into it, I am a little worried.
All my blood checks have been the same post rapa, slightly elevated levels of cholesterol (which I had before rapa as well).
Itā€™s been 3 months since I last had them checked, and just scheduled another round of blood panels.

I guess, one thing I am wondering, at what point should this be a thing to actually worry about? Could it be completely normal or even healthy? How much does fast blood coagulation correlate with a higher risk of blood clots?

I am not finding answers to these easily anywhere. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I often see in these forums people saying, ā€œI think itā€™s something other than the rapamycin.ā€ When people are sharing their very clear and obvious experience. I am telling you, this is by far the most obvious before and after effect Iā€™ve had. Nothing else is even close. I do a lot of DIY and home remodel. I get a lot of nicks/cuts. This is clear and obvious.

4 Likes

Maybe its time to see if your PCP wants to refer you to a hemotologist for possible clotting disorder. Iā€™ve never heard of this as a side effect either. There are foods that can also contribute to reduced clotting time.

2 Likes

Did someone prescribe this to you? You should speak with them about what you are experiencing

Just curious, which foods could contribute to reduced clotting time? I havenā€™t changed my diet much that I can think of. But, I havenā€™t ruled out the fact that rapamycin might be having an effect with something that was pre existing in my daily/weekly diet.

For instance. One thing I noticed immediately is that too much alcohol within the first couple days of dosage doesnā€™t hit me real well, so I mostly stay away from it within a couple days of dosing. I still drink somewhere between 4-10 units of alcohol a week.

Easy to google. Healthy stuff like collards and Kale, e.g.

I have not used rapamycin for very long but I have also noticed that small wounds seem to heal faster.
But I am bleeding quite a lot from small wounds, no change there. But then again I take curcumin and that might keep my blood thin.

1 Like

Does Zetia affect clotting?

Nattokinase helps against clotti g and cleans blood etc removes old clot points as well as dmged tissue, i use it now and then in bigger chunks

2 Likes

The importance of inflammation as a predictor of coronary events across all levels of LDL cholesterol was recognized as far back as 2005 in the NEJM. Emphasis on keeping the CRP < 2.

C-Reactive Protein Levels and Outcomes after Statin Therapy | NEJM

2 Likes

CRP is an important marker of inflammation as a predictor of coronary artery disease. Unfortunately it is affected by almost any inflammation or trauma and not always a reliable marker.

No statistical significance of CRP in mendelian randomization of lifelong elevated CRP and heart disease. Larger effects are easier to detect as far as I know, and there was no detection, makes you thinkā€¦ :thinking:

IL-6 stat significant with a decrease in MR, Canakinumab in the CANTOS trial targets IL-b and lowers IL-6ā€¦

3 Likes

Did rectal ozone therapy help you? My mother is considering it. Some say itā€™s waisting of money. Did Rapa had any positive effect on hemorrhoid?