Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

Rapamycin will not “prevent/protect from cancer”, it would just defer it as in mice, theoretically to be translated to humans, TBD.

Waiting for an appt for dual CT-PET-PSMA prostate imaging (very low cost, a research center that just got approval)…this will light up down the cellular uptake level.

WOW! From the article: NET formation may foster chronic inflammation, thereby promoting cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases as well as increasing the risk or progression of cancer. Therefore, NETs represent an interesting target for therapeutics in the management of different disease entities.

My GlycanAge test says my inflammatory response is very low – like that of a much younger person - 27 years younger.

So maybe… granulocytes at the lower end of normal is a good measure of inflammation control.

Sorry, no way I would trust some “test” when I can SO EASILY go inside and look. My wife on her side is riddled with polyps and colorectal cancer, nobody relies on tests, all do regular screening.

I am coming due for retest in 2 yrs, was clean on my first. No history, just regular screening prevention.

You’re doing all this amazing prevention work, don’t chinzy…they put you to sleep!! Think about the runway you will have earned with a clean scan.

Seriously, take heed.

2 Likes

Rivasp12 - PSA and free PSA are less certain in my mind . I’m never sure what to make of the results. Many false positives. Might get a prostate MRI. Newer urine tests are encouraging.

I have been on finasteride for 32 years – since I was 32 years old. Another research project of prostrate cancer prevention and maintaining my hair. My urologist on checks say my prostrate is the size of a guy in his 20’s. At one time it was considered a 50 -50 risk - could prevent prostrate cancer - but if you got cancer it would multiply the effects. More recently finasteride is seen as no cancer risk - all prevention. My urologist of past 5-years can never find my prostrate - it is kind of a joke between us. PSA is typically 1.

Same urologist who said let’s put you on daily 2mg of tadalafil - can only help blood circulation and reproductive health.

Thanks MAC - definitely will consider it.

By Agetron’s lipid markers, his ASCVD risk is 10.6%. Flashing red light “statin”.

Guess what…when you add a CAC of zero to his profile, it NEGATES the need.

2 Likes

Yes.
Take a look. I remember this study from a while back. My last WBC was about 4.8 and was 5.2 prior to rapamycin.

Not surprising, but good to see it in print.

I think doctors are just too busy. Easy to give a lab slip but time consuming to explain the ins and outs of CAC scores.

1 Like

Finasteride is a 5α-reductase inhibitor, works by blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT, 100X more potent to the androgen receptor than testosterone. It’s genetic susceptibility to DHT that causes hair loss, and how it works.

The interesting thing, is you’re both ON Finasteride AND Testosterone, yet it appears to me, you have NO blunting of the anabolic signal you would get with Testosterone with resistance exercise. Clearly, there are muscle signals completely un-impeded by DHT blunting, and a similar paradox to Rapamycin. Theoretically, it should blunt muscle build, but there are mTOR and rapamycin-mTOR independent pathways to muscle synthesis.

1 Like

I like the idea of finasteride but I hear that it seriously reduces sex drive. Is that true?

My WBC is 4.8 too — lower end of normal.

Hahaha - no problem there. But, could be combination of TRT 1ml of 200 mg once a week and 2mg of tadalafil daily. Both now considered great aging health supplements. My solider jumps to attention with very little provocation lol. And, performs until the task is done - like a trooper!

1 Like

At higher prostate disease related doses (5mg/day) yes, at 1mg/day for hair loss prevention, not so much. It “blunts” DHT, sorry, couldn’t resist.

1 Like

Haha, but like you say, you do alot of mixing and matching. There are many variables in your equation.

1 Like

Would seem that the granulocyte count in particular is prognostic

1 Like

Not familiar with that imaging test.
Hopkins loves MRI.

I think free PSA May be useful. A free PSA of 20% captured 90% of cancers , 25% gets about 95%. Some urologists use 10% as a biopsy cutoff number, others say 18%.
May also indicate aggressive disease.

MRI dosen’t have the sensitivity/specificity, won’t catch cancers early.

You mean PET/PSMA? It’s state of the art imaging. Normally used for existing cancers, looking for recurrence/metastasis, but of course, but can be used for diagnosis/early screening.

Except… that I have been on finasteride for 32 years with no issues… TRT for past 3 years and tadalafil only past 1 year. so my prior 30 years - also no issues unaided!

1 Like

I think you’ve a pretty good stack/prevention protocol going Agetron…keep layering deeper diagnostic tests as practical as you can.

CVD, CANCER, NEUROLOGICAL…push them all out!

1 Like

You’re gonna put a Glycan test over a vast immunocompromised risks literature data base? Your own CBC? Most especially because it’s in humans. Good luck finding this data in mice.

Not suggesting to veer, just watch very carefully.

Again, human translation is a massive gap.

1 Like