Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

That’s interesting. Looks like they’re utilizing it for mets but should work also for very early detection.

1 Like

Don’t really think about copper and its relationship to CAD very often, but maybe we should. This was brought to my attention by PD Mangan

Copper deficiency may be a leading cause of ischaemic heart disease

2 Likes

Not much good human intervention data, mainly “associations”. Only one reference in a small RCT, but only made reference to lowering of lipids, no longitudinal following of CVD events. I was not able to find a full paper reference to look at the actual data. My doc (n=1) does not care too much about copper, mainly magnesium and zinc. I eat a lot of nuts, and dark chocolate, so copper deficiency isn’t an issue. I supplement magnesium and zinc.

Iron (already discussed on the forum) and magnesium I believe are far more relevant for CVD risk.

1 Like

Another new study, probably a good add-on for people in the long term:

Cocoa extract supplementation did not significantly reduce total cardiovascular events among older adults but reduced CVD death by 27%. Potential reductions in total cardiovascular events were supported in per-protocol analyses.

I’m not concerned with my magnesium and iron ,but I take zinc regularly and that could throw your zinc/ copper out of whack.
Seems like shellfish and seaweed are main sources and I don’t eat them.
Maybe 2 mg per day.

Yes you are right, but I track this. Good reminder.

1 Like

A reminder on iron, the CVD literature suggests to REDUCE your stores, most especially for men, not just keep it in the “band”.

Two words.
Blood donations .

2 Likes

So, no reduction in total CV events, but significant reduction in major events and CV mortality.
I’m wondering if the CV mortality benefit is from preventing major events, or possibly protecting against arrhythmias or cardiac damage After an event.
I take 15 grams a day of 100% cacao by organic blue lily brand. If possible, you want cacao tested for cadmium.

1 Like

I searched this out and it looks like the Prenuvo scan gives very similar result accuracy. It also scans colon, pancreas, etc.
I might do it.

1 Like

In prior posts we discussed grape seed extract so I’ve tried it over the past 2 weeks and noticed that it gave me more energy. Definitely less fatigue. Here’s a study to support it

3 Likes

I have questions:

• How much do you use?
  • How much do you exercise?

The article talks about “exhaustive exercise-induced fatigue” – by exhaustive, I suppose they mean exercising until the mice are exhausted (which seems redundant to fatigue).

I’m wondering if you exercise until you are too tired to go on & so find with the extract you can go on longer or go on for the same time & feel better?

Thanks, Beth

I use a brand called pure synergy that has 375 mg of extract and 325 mg of grape skin.
Just taking 1 at night.

I don’t generally exercise to exhaustion, no, but I do similar things every day so I can easily tell the difference. It’s a little like pine bark extract and maybe is acting synergistically.

Thanks very much, that is good info.

The paper:

1 Like

Yes, epigenetics plays such a significant role in everything.
Of our 20,000 genes we only express 10% of them, and which ones are expressed are very environmentally influenced.

The list is long and also includes stress, sleep, childhood experiences, and may well also include the epigenetics of your parents and grandparents. Then , of course, there’s the traditional risk factors.

The body is very plastic and is able to adapt to many different circumstances by altering gene expressions. We’re only just now cracking the surface of this remarkable phenomenon and the many ways that it both protects and predisposes us to illness.

3 Likes

They’re selling it for about a buck a day:

I spent a long time trying to see if there was something I could plant or feed to my wife’s goats to increase this and failed. Feeding tallow greatly decreases athrogenicity index, but has nothing to do with c15.

I’m definitely appreciating triglycerides/ HDL.
Looks like an easy way to evaluate insulin resistance.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a recommendation that triglycerides/HDL ratio be less than 1. That’s a lot lower than the 3.5 ratio for identifying insulin resistance. What would be a reasonable optimal ratio?

I’ve seen the 1 number mentioned as well.
I previously posted a study using the gold standard of coronary angiography demonstrating that atherosclerosis progressed at a ratio of 4/1 or greater.
Now it looks like 3.5/1 is a good cutoff for insulin resistance.

Maybe we have more leeway than we thought.