Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

Yes it is related to bempedoic acid and not ezetimibe.

1 Like

Thank you @AnUser (extra characters)

How does one best increase citrate intake - perhaps by taking potassium or magnesium citrate?

It appears bempedoic acid is better suited as an adjuntive therapy to statins similar to ezetimibe.

I take a high dose magnesium citrate and a low dose potassium citrate every day. Potassium is hard on the kidneys so better keep that dose low.

2 Likes

I wrote about it here:

It is quite complex because if you want to get it right you need to take a few grams every half hour or hour or somewhere in between.

I tend to want to finish with citrate by 3pm at the latest.

1 Like

I just purchased some of the Bempadoic + Eztamibe combo drug and wasn’t able to get a price back from Guru Baba though they appeared to have the lowest price upon searching. A few other companies had it for about 40 cents a pill before shipping. Nilkanth had the Zydus version, so I went with that. Also bought some 5 mg Rosuvastatin for like 5 cents a pill.

1 Like

The 50-500 rupees price range for a strip of 10 makes me think it is unlikely they are really selling it for 50.

Ran into couple studies that suggest that statins help with telomere length, hence slow down aging. I have normal cholesterol, but would any of you guys think taking a statin might be a good idea for anti aging? Plus is anyone (with normal cholesterol levels) in these boards taking statins?

I had LDL in the low 110s prior to starting my rosuvastatin/ezetimibe combo. Now I’m in the mid-50s. Other than some muscle-related sides that resolved upon starting ubiquinol and “brain fog” which resolved on its own, I had no major issues.
Keeping your apoB low is extremely important in us humans as it’s the biggest killer in the Western world. The off target effects of statins such as reduced inflammation, possible reduction in dementia rates etc. may also be beneficial for health.

2 Likes

What is “normal”? I think a lot of people here are shooting for “optimal” wherein LDL-C/apoB are low enough to preclude ASCVD. For me, my LDL-C ranges from about 58-70 mg/dl and I hope to reduce it into the 30-40 mg/dl range (apoB and LDL-C are pretty close in this range from my tests). I’ll try the B+E combo to see how far that gets me, and then possibly add a statin later.

Also, could you post the telomere studies?

3 Likes

wow thanks, this is totally new to me. I literally thought of statins as being big no no unless you are prescribed them by a doc. So that I understand this correctly (I’m a bit new to this anti-aging thing) using statins helps lower ApoB right? I think i can live with side effects as I know couple people (one of them my uncle) who have been using statins (cholesterol issues) for last 25 years (now at 95) with no major adverse effects.

I literally thought of statins as being big no no unless you are prescribed them by a doc.

While it is generally a good idea to have a doctor monitor your blood markers when using a statin, research has shown that modern statins are very safe, particulary the water-soluble ones such as rosuvastatin. They significantly lower all cause mortality and the effect becomes larger the longer you use it.

Correct, it lowers apoB (and cRPC (marker of inflammation)).

2 Likes

Pardon my ignorance what is B+E?

Bempadoic acid + ezetimibe, most commonly 180 mg bempadoic acid and 10 mg ezetimibe, which is based on clinical trial data. Brand name “Nexlizet” but widely available as a generic from India.

1 Like

It is all making sense now. My uncle was always sick (major heart problems, on top of high cholesterol) and no one expected him to live this long. And all he takes is jut Statins (don’t know which one).

1 Like

Any reason why you’d prefer B+E as opposed to statins? Or supposedly fewer side effects?

@DeStrider how is ezetimibe working for you? What dose are you taking?
I am starting with 10 mg a day now, taking no statin, might add it later if I don’t find any other medicine like bempedoic acid.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect an LDL reduction of more than 30-35% with the B+E combo.

2 Likes

Were you also taking a PCSK9i?

What do you think the optimal adjunct thereby for someone on PCSK9i who is still not low enough vs aggressive Apo B targets? (In my case I also have genetically elevated Lp(a). I was thinking of adding ezetimibe.