Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

“The biggest obstacle is that you need to get it from a compounding pharmacy which can be a difficult process.”
Naltrexone in 50mg tablet form is fairly inexpensive. Splitting it into 16s would yield ~3.13mg which is in the LDN range. Would going this route be less effective than getting LDN from a compounding pharmacy? Why? Please explain. Thanks!!

There are many compound ing pharmacy’s that provide LDN.

4.5mg a day for 90 day cost an average of $100.00 delivered, yes you would need a prescription.

LDN Pharmacists

Find an LDN compounding pharmacy in your area see the link below;

The skunk works version gives you >3X the mg for < 1/5 the cost
(GoodRx < $20 for 30 50mg tablets), But my question was whether there would be any difference in efficacy v. the compounded pharm. version.

The bempedoic acid study is supportive of the LDL’s causal role in ASCVD. Granted the effects were modest (13% relative risk reduction, I believe?) but LDL reduction was fairly modest as well (21% ?) and of course we’d expect to see larger risk reduction with extended periods of time, as with all lipoprotein interventions. Note this doesn’t mean that inflammation isn’t critically important, just that IMO we should be attacking ASCVD from both angles.

I have updated strongly to take things with a grain of salt from anyone who speaks about inflammation. Why? The same people never mention proven causal risk factors. It’s becoming a quack term and all cure panacea at this point, IMO. But I am not going to be ideological about it. If there’s a drug that lowers inflammation and that reduces CVD events, etc, independent of lowering LDL, I believe it.

Some postulate that lowering inflammation become only of interest at low LDL’s.

In practice, therefore, although not yet evidence based, before considering the addition of an anti-inflammatory drug, LDL-C might be reduced to a level below 55 mg/dL (1.42 mmol/L), the new target for very high-risk patients in the ESC guidelines

2 Likes

Did you read the opinion paper (“false dichotomy”) that you referenced? It supports exactly what I said above. It even includes trials with two anti-inflammatory drugs that further reduced risk above and beyond lowering LDL. It’s true – it’s a false dichotomy. It’s not either/or, it’s both.

4 Likes

Yes, I wrote that before I read it.
My point was about ideology and people either way, not whether anti-inflammatory drugs work or do not work for this purpose.

I need to read more about anti-inflammatory drugs and ASCVD, but it seems like a good idea if you’re preventing ASCVD by lowering LDL as if anti-inflammation didn’t matter at the same time.

Has anyone else noticed that their blood coagulates quicker via small cuts/wounds? If so, are you worried about hypercoagulation at all?

I think one of the most noticeable side-effects or maybe benefits has been how fast I stop bleeding when I get small cuts or wounds since beginning rapamycin.

I get my blood tested again next month, but is this a worrisome sign? Is my blood too thick increasing my risk for blood clots?

2 Likes

Interesting. I have not seen that anywhere as a side effect of rapamycin. My personal experience is quite the opposite. Since I started rapamycin the blood flow from a finger prick when I am testing my glucose levels is much larger.

Are you sure you are properly hydrated?
Also, I would recheck the supplements or medications you are taking. I think it is probably something other than rapamycin.

1 Like

I’m not a big supplements guy and am not really taking anything else aside from a daily multivitamin. I stay well hydrated, I don’t drink soda. I average over 30 miles a week running, which scientifically speaking, exercise is a blood thinner.
Obviously this is n=1, but I only had one lifestyle change when this started to occur, which was legit only about 2-3 weeks after I started rapamycin and has been like this ever since. At first I thought it was awesome, because I seemed to even be healing faster (which is still the case).
But, a friend told me that it could be a negative sign, how fast my blood was coagulating after a small cut. After reading a bit into it, I am a little worried.
All my blood checks have been the same post rapa, slightly elevated levels of cholesterol (which I had before rapa as well).
It’s been 3 months since I last had them checked, and just scheduled another round of blood panels.

I guess, one thing I am wondering, at what point should this be a thing to actually worry about? Could it be completely normal or even healthy? How much does fast blood coagulation correlate with a higher risk of blood clots?

I am not finding answers to these easily anywhere. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I often see in these forums people saying, “I think it’s something other than the rapamycin.” When people are sharing their very clear and obvious experience. I am telling you, this is by far the most obvious before and after effect I’ve had. Nothing else is even close. I do a lot of DIY and home remodel. I get a lot of nicks/cuts. This is clear and obvious.

4 Likes

Maybe its time to see if your PCP wants to refer you to a hemotologist for possible clotting disorder. I’ve never heard of this as a side effect either. There are foods that can also contribute to reduced clotting time.

2 Likes

Did someone prescribe this to you? You should speak with them about what you are experiencing

Just curious, which foods could contribute to reduced clotting time? I haven’t changed my diet much that I can think of. But, I haven’t ruled out the fact that rapamycin might be having an effect with something that was pre existing in my daily/weekly diet.

For instance. One thing I noticed immediately is that too much alcohol within the first couple days of dosage doesn’t hit me real well, so I mostly stay away from it within a couple days of dosing. I still drink somewhere between 4-10 units of alcohol a week.

Easy to google. Healthy stuff like collards and Kale, e.g.

I have not used rapamycin for very long but I have also noticed that small wounds seem to heal faster.
But I am bleeding quite a lot from small wounds, no change there. But then again I take curcumin and that might keep my blood thin.

1 Like

Does Zetia affect clotting?

Nattokinase helps against clotti g and cleans blood etc removes old clot points as well as dmged tissue, i use it now and then in bigger chunks

2 Likes

The importance of inflammation as a predictor of coronary events across all levels of LDL cholesterol was recognized as far back as 2005 in the NEJM. Emphasis on keeping the CRP < 2.

C-Reactive Protein Levels and Outcomes after Statin Therapy | NEJM

2 Likes

CRP is an important marker of inflammation as a predictor of coronary artery disease. Unfortunately it is affected by almost any inflammation or trauma and not always a reliable marker.