Other 40 yr Olds and About to Take the Plunge?

First time posting, been hesitant to chime in on anything. I have enough in common with you that I figured it was time. My wife and I started rapamycin 2 months ago. We met in college as runners and have never stopped.
She’s late 30s, I’m early 40s and we live very active lifestyles. Still running 40+ miles a week and if we’re training for a marathon we ramp back up over 60 miles a week. I’m sure you can relate!

We’ve ramped up slowly from 1mg. My wife is at 3mg and I’m at 4mg after 2 months of a slow ramp. We noticed little things almost right away. I’d say the first thing we noticed is that any workouts/runs we did the same day as taking rapamycin were pretty brutal (we lift or run 6 days a week). We were also a lot more sore after those workouts and even seemed to recover slower.
After 2 months now, the soreness is mostly gone. We’re hoping that means we’ve had positive adaptations where our bodies have gotten a bit more use to the drug.
We’re doing some self experimentation, watching blood work, and incorporating the rapamycin directly with our training plans; approaching taking it as if it’s part of our training program.
We know our bodies pretty well, so we can mostly tell differences because of something new we’ve introduced into our lifestyles. I think we’ve both noticed a loss in visceral fat, myself not as much as my wife. My wife has always struggled balancing her hormones with training, which can cause weight gain despite the amount she exercises. This has especially been the case in the past when she ramps up her aerobic exercise.
After two weeks she saw noticeable differences in her body response to workouts. While she’s been more sore after her hard days, she’s also not had the side effects she’s had in the past while doing aerobic training (n = 1). She’s ramped up her mileage and is running quite well and feels great!

Oh, I’ve also historically struggled with insomnia. The first couple nights after my weekly dose I sleep like a rock, that’s been wonderful!

5 Likes

Wow, thank you for the reply! I found it super useful. While I’m no longer an active runner, I am wanting to get back into it even if it’s just for some additional cardio. And the beach is only 2 miles from my house now so…

I didn’t expect you were going to say the rapamycin days made for harder workouts. That’s interesting and the opposite of what I would have guessed.

The visceral fat and sleep stuff is also super interesting. I’ll keep an eye on both. I’ve battled with sleep for as long as I can remember. I’ve tried everything from melatonin to magnesium, etc. but I purchased an EightSleep mattress and “pod” (or whatever they call it) and that’s helped more than anything.

My rapamycin is apparently nearly here so I need to get cracking on my blood work. I didn’t expect it to arrive so fast!

2 Likes

37 M, active (weights/cardio). Just took first dose ever of 2mg rapa today. Then I passed out for 2 hours for a midday nap, which is highly unusual for me. I feel like today’s workout might be a slog.

Plan to ramp up slowly to about 4-6mg and stay there for a while.

I don’t know how some other people report finding this stuff stimulating, feels quite sedating to me.

3 Likes

Wow, interesting! Yes, everything I see seems to be folks saying they feel hyped up on “dosing day”.

Did you do blood work before starting? Mine is arriving any day now and I know it’s going to be hard for me to go do blood work before starting at this point.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat… but I couldn’t wait. Having bloodwork done in the next week or so. I don’t think a single 2 mg rapa dose should impact it too much. I’ll keep doing bloodwork once every 6 weeks or so to keep an eye on it, more concerned about the long-term trends. Although to be frank, not that concerned about rapamycin in general, it seems awfully safe.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m not really concerned about the safety. I’m more interested in a “before/after” type of comparison so I can quantify what impact it’s having. We’ll see if I can hold off lol

2 Likes

Alright you guys probably don’t need a play by play of my first dose but feeling really good and energetic now. Nap —> lots of energy. Looking forward to taking this hopefully indefinitely.

3 Likes

Hey man, I don’t mind the play-by-play! lol

That’s good to hear. I plan to take mine in the mornings (I’m usually up around 5am) so hoping to really feel that energy boost each week… probably on Mondays.

1 Like

same. i started last year at 39… 5’11 172lb, 9mg/week. my cholesterol level is at 278. triglycerides at 372, vldl at 71. ldl at 166. hdl at 41. doesn’t look very good from those numbers. However studies suggest lower cases of cardiovascular disease. Dr Mikhail Blagosklonny doesn’t think the numbers tell the full story as rapamycin prevents the oxidation and buildup of cholesterol on artery walls. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

2 Likes

Another 40-something here (not for much longer) about to start rapa as well. I’m a former college tennis player and have kept from decent to excellent shape over the years. Blood work currently is very good so I’m interested to see if there’s any changes in the next few months. My rapa interest is definitely for continued health and longevity and not to fix any current issues. Very much enjoying the forum to compare protocols and information.

6 Likes

48, started taking Rapa back in March of this year. My journey is here including changes to blood markers - Seeking advice, afraid I have to quit - #58 by mike666

Quick summary: Subtle changes at best. I was hoping my pretty severe hip arthritis would vanish, no such luck. Careful of blood Glucose and insulin if you are on the edge with those things. I had another draw today so will post those results soon, also switched from Zydus to Rapacan - see if that shows up at all.

Good luck and keep us posted. Oh and I walk backwards too for the knees it really works for me. I would up the ante though and walk backwards up a steep hill. Anytime my knees let me know they aren’t happy I walk up a hill by my house backwards every day until they calm down.

3 Likes

" I was hoping my pretty severe hip arthritis would vanish, no such luck."

What is the rapamycin dosage regimen you are using?
Personally, I experienced a rather significant arthritic pain reduction.
I experienced pain relief after using rapamycin dosages from 20 mg with GFJ and EVOO biweekly to 10 mg/weekly with EVOO. I am ~81 yrs old and I am virtually pain-free. The only exception is my right ankle which I pretty much ruined playing tennis on hard courts. My right ankle only hurts after extensive walking. One tennis-related problem I had was with my right knee that I tweaked and it bothered me for decades. That problem completely went away after a few months of rapamycin.
Not medical advice, but I would consider upping your dosage to the point of side effects you would choose not to tolerate.

2 Likes

I take 6/mg a week. My insulin levels have been really low since i started Rapa. That is my only concern about raising dosage. I got one canker sore but that was mild and short lived.

2 Likes

The effects profile of Rapamycin changes as you increase the dose (both good and bad). You may experience arthritic releif at larger doses. I would say if nothing happens after 20 mg + GFJ, then it will have no effect on your arthritis. Up until that point there is hope!

2 Likes

Just to update and say I started my rapa course post-remote consult w/ Dr Green. While he stated I should take 4mg a week given my age, I will begin a tad more cautiously at 2mg for first 2 months. 24hrs after first dose, I do have a mouth sore at the back of my tongue. No (new) issues with sleep and strength training this morning.

3 Likes

I am 39 and just got my script today

3 Likes