Other 40 yr Olds and About to Take the Plunge?

Great analysis. I guess we’re pioneers here. Hopefully we’re on the right side of history lol

2 Likes

Wow, interesting regarding your epigenetic age being higher. I consider myself in good health but have never had my blood done to really know for sure. So while I’d assume my epigenetic age is lower than my chronological age, I guess I really don’t have a clue.

I’m starting to assume I’ll see/feel very little benefit but hoping I can see the difference in my blood tests to know it’s working under the surface.

1 Like

Early 40s here, been doing this for about 5 months now. I love rapa day each week because I feel better on that day than any other, lots of energy, physical and mental. Will be doing my first bloodwork since starting next week so I’m very curious to see if there are any changes. Overall I’m super happy to get a little burst of energy and know that I’m hopefully preventing bad things down the line.

3 Likes

I’m 48 and just started taking Rapamycin. I’m close to talking to family, but I figured I’d work up to a solid dose over a month or two and see how my body reacts. After all, my family share a good amount of my genetic makeup.

When I tell them I think I’ll share some videos and blogs from elsewhere on this site. Plus give this site.

When you get your blood tested, if you want to use the Levine Phenotypal Age calculator check this post A Friendly, Biological Age Reduction Competition? - #60 by HigoMe33

It’s fun that a group of us are all in our 40’s and beginning now. Let’s get together in 60 years and have a party!

5 Likes

Well, I took a spit epigenetic test and it says my epigenetic age is 59. I took a blood sample analysis at Aging.ai and it says my age is 28. If you average the two together, you get my real age. So, it just goes to show you that age testing is still quite variable.

2 Likes

Same here I’m 48 and would’ve have started earlier If I’d have had access to Rapa. I’ve been a longevity nerd for years and thought it was out of reach until I stumbled upon this site. I’m very grateful to have found it. I do think that it’s incredibly early though. I personally don’t feel comfortable trying to persuade my family to get on it. While I’m feel fairly confident that we’ll find out conclusively Rapa does extend lifespan in the near future there are risks and uncertainty involved. I get the impression that we’re in the minority. Not everyone is prepared to take unproven drugs and not everyone should.

4 Likes

G’day Tbiz

I’m 43 and have been taking Rapa for just over two months now. I followed RapAdmins advice and ramped up slowly (1mg a week, now at 6mg). I have not experienced any positive or negative side effects thus far, apart from psychological (feeling positive about the future).
I am quite fit, lean, eat healthy and take some other supplements / medications like most others on the site.

Cheers

3 Likes

Olive oil. I would advise against GFJ

3 Likes

Sounds like we’re in similar boats regarding fitness. I need to really dial down any expectations and just hope to see changes in blood work to know it’s having a positive impact. Thanks!

I have been taking rapamycin for a year and have seen no positive effects on any of my blood work, only negative effects. In fact, I had to lower my dosages to get my blood markers back to normal. My markers are still not as good as they were before I started rapamycin.
My personal positive effects of rapamycin are related to its positive effects on my skin and greatly improved sleep quality. I am old and old people often have sleep problems like getting 8 hrs of good sleep at night. I am now sleeping like I did when I was a teenager.
The anti-cancer effects of rapamycin have reduced the number of actinic keratoses that I have to essentially zero. Due to excessive sun exposure to the sun when I was young I developed chronic actinic keratosis, which caused me to seek treatments at least twice a year for decades. I haven’t had to see my dermatologist for over a year now and don’t plan to see him anytime soon.

Bottom line: While rapamycin has proven life-extension effects in mammals, don’t be surprised if your blood work doesn’t look better after starting rapamycin. This was a surprising result for me and has not been properly explained.

7 Likes

Wow, interesting mix of results! I haven’t heard anyone talk about their blood work being worse off since starting rapamycin. Good to know!

It seems that the positives are outweighing the negatives for you? It sounds like you aren’t planning to stop the rapamycin?

1 Like

TVBiz, Pay attention to that knee pain. I’m quite a bit older than you and have slowly moved away from jogging to activities that don’t seem to wear my joints as fast as I think jogging did. I still walk and hike, but have incorporated swimming and stationary cycling to reduce joint stress. Strange as it may seem doing hundreds of squats in sets once a week doesn’t seem to cause joint pain. Collagen peptides may be helpful, but I certainly haven’t noticed any improvement with that supplement. And, rapamycin to improve the joints? Well, I’m not counting on rapamycin for help in that area. But, it’s totally unknown at this point. Oh, and one more thing about joint pain, if your are overweight, losing weight can reduce wear and tear on the joints and possibly reduce pain.

1 Like

Yes, in spite of questionable blood work results, I am still a believer in rapamycin and plan on taking it for the rest of my life. BTW, I was in excellent shape and my blood work was also very good before I started rapamycin. My epigenetic age was younger using the Levine calculator before I started taking rapamycin. Since I didn’t have any idea that rapamycin would affect my actinic keratoses or sleep, I feel that they were not placebo effects.

2 Likes

Starting on rapamycin as soon as my order gets through customs. I’m 45 and have an epigenetic age of 38. I’m in good shape, so I’m not expecting life-changing results.

I mentioned it to my wife, but I don’t plan on telling anyone else. I really couldn’t care less about anyone else’s opinion about it, anyway.

I have a 15 yr old, a 4 yr old, a 3 yr old and a 3 month old . . . I want to stay strong and youthful for them (and myself) as long as possible.

Plan on starting at 1mg per week and moving up slowly. I really appreciate all of the experience sharing you guys provide on this forum!

6 Likes

Yes, Jay, the knee pain was a big red flag for me. I took notice! Initially I thought I could strengthen it but I think I was overdoing it. I’ve moved toward “babying” it now and it seems to be improving. I still believe trying to strengthen it would help… we’ll see. I’m not overweight, so that’s not it. I’m quite slim at just over 150 pound and 6’0".

1 Like

Awesome, Phil. I imagine you’re excited to get going on it like I am! I also have kiddos… a 4 and 6 y/o (both boys).

2 Likes

So, I am 82 years old and undoubtably have some arthritis in all of my joints. But, I am virtually pain free. The only thing that bothered me was my right knee which I tweaked many years ago playing tennis. I had pain in my right knee for decades. A couple of years ago I started taking boswellia serrata, which helped alot, but didn’t completely eliminate the problem. Then I started seeing a few articles on walking backward for the relief of knee pain.
It was remarkably effective. I found relief after my first time walking backwards on a treadmill at the gym. I still can’t believe how effective it was for me. It really doesn’t take a lot of walking backwards to find relief of knee pain. Now if my knee starts bothering me I just start the walking backwards exercise for a while. You don’t need a treadmill, just do walking backwards for a while.

“The 6-week retro walking program compared with forward walking or control groups resulted in greater reduction in pain and functional disability and improved quadriceps muscle strength and performance in individuals with knee OA.”

“Walking backwards on a treadmill — also called retro walking — is a little trick physical therapists recommend as a way to improve knee pain.”
“Walking Backwards On A Treadmill Is A Godsend For Knee Pain”

Reverse Walking on the Treadmill for Physical Therapy.

5 Likes

I love the idea of walking backwards on a treadmill. I’ve never tried but will. I’ve been sporadically running backwards uphill since my teens, when an uncle suggested it, inspired by Mohammed Ali. Brilliannt for building vmo’s (vastus medialis obliques)

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ll give walking backwards a try. Sounds so simple!

1 Like

I may try that walking backwards idea too. I have quadricep tendonitis around right knee brought about by an overzealous PT (heavier and heavier weighted lunges :disappointed:) and my inability to read my own body :man_shrugging:t4:

FYI I am late 30s—I mean in grand scheme I may as well be 40. Will start rapa in December, presumably after my first remote consult with Dr Green. Intending to keep the community updated on my situation as time goes on.

Unlike some though I’m more cautious (prob can tell that from use of a doctor to supervise-at least intially) and I would much prefer a low dose regime (low relative to what others are taking for longevity and healthspan) purely to avoid any side effects and to see where my dosing strategy may impact blood tests. Figure barring being run over by a bus, I have time to fine tune the Rapa approach…one benefit to starting on younger end of the scale I suppose!

Oh and it appears I’m the 40th post. Well well. Don’t anyone prior delete their comment

1 Like