Other 40 yr Olds and About to Take the Plunge?

Hi all, I’m new here and have been reading a LOT. I see a lot of folks in their 50’s and 60’s but haven’t seen many in their 40’s.

Am I early to this? I’m recently 40 and curious how other people my age have experienced taking rapamycin. Reading all the benefits I’m worried I’m getting my hopes up.

For what it’s worth, I consider myself relatively healthy. I’m 6’0" and only about 150lbs… always been slim. I eat primarily a plant-based diet and am vegan. I should exercise more, but walk at least a few miles a day. I haven’t had blood work done ever, but plan to do so before I start my rapamycin.

I do have some pretty bad recent knee pain in one knee. I used to run competitively at the collegiate level and worry that is starting to show. But I haven’t been lifting weights much in the last 3-6 months so wonder if it’s just gotten weak. I also have at least half a dozen lipomas that I’m really hoping randomly vanish.

Anyway, would love to hear from others in my age range. Thanks!

6 Likes

Hey there! I am a 40 something too. After hitting 42, I could really start to feel my body aging. I think now is better than later for starting Rapamycin. I am not sure what affects it will have on you, personally but I can tell you that I think most of the negative side effects are relatively benign and the positive outcomes far outweigh any negatives.

3 Likes

Same here, 37 and plan to start later in Dec after I finalize my baseline blood work.

1 Like

I started rapamycin when I was 47, been taking it for 5 months now. I haven’t noticed much from the rapamycin but I already was pretty fit when I started rapamycin. What really made a huge change for me was switching from a low meat Mediterranean diet to the carnivore diet. Thanks to the carnivore diet I became much more lean and muscular, no more GERD, no more bloating, no more gas, no more flatulence, no more anal fissures and my joints started feeling really supple again

3 Likes

I’m 44… My advice is be patient and don’t push the dose too high. After 6 weeks at 12mg/week many of my markers (e.g. A1C, creatinine, urea, HRV, blood pressure etc) went in the wrong direction.

Agree with @Arhu that any benefits will be subtle.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m not really worried about side effects. I’m more excited and trying to tame that excitement a bit.

Did you notice anything change when you started taking it?

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems we’re in the minority here in the 40 y/o range. It may be valuable for me to update this thread on my experience.

I’ve already received a tracking number for my first rapamycin order so it’s time to get those blood tests scheduled! I absolutely HATE needles so this is a big commitment for me. Oof!

1 Like

Sounds like we’re on a similar schedule!

1 Like

Just know that by being here and starting rap, you’re so far ahead of the general population.

2 Likes

Very true! I’m so tempted to start trying to talk with family about getting started but worried how’d they perceive it. I’m not sure most people are ready for this yet.

3 Likes

I hope you do better than I have. I’ve told a couple of friends, an 81 year old guy at the gym(numerous times) , my brother, ex-wife, with no success so far. It’s pretty radical for most people to digest. If you think about it, there’s only a few thousand people in the world taking rapamycin right now.

4 Likes

Gosh, do you really think there are that few folks doing this? I mean, I know I’m early to this but THAT early?! Crazy.

Good for you for trying. I’m hoping to track the results well enough so that those can do the majority of the talking.

2 Likes

Our survey suggests that people in their 40s are about 16% of the users right now…

2 Likes

Awesome data, thanks!

1 Like

Was that 12mg taken with oil or grapefruit juice?

1 Like

Its really hard to know how many people are taking rapamycin (for longevity) right now. We know that Dr. Alan Green, who has been prescribing it the longest of anyone (4 years+) - has about 1,000 patients. There are perhaps another 20 or 30 doctors prescribing it around the world (that I can find) -but most of them have only been doing it for the past year or maybe 2 years. Perhaps each of them have 100 or 200 patients… so another few thousand people, and from our earlier survey we might estimate that 50% of people see doctors, while another 50% are just buying the medication and taking it: Poll: How do you get your Rapamycin: Doctor Prescription, or Just Buy It?

So - perhaps a total of somewhere between 5,000 and 12,000 people worldwide taking rapamycin right now for longevity…

2 Likes

What’s the longest anyone has taken Rapamycin on a weekly or fortnightly basis for longevity?

1 Like

Yes, I experienced lots of minor effects after taking it. Some good and some Meh. For instance, I had a feeling of a euphoric fatigue fit the first two days after taking Rapamycin. I enjoyed that. I also sometimes got canker sores, acne, or rashes which are not enjoyable.

I feel great, but that could be the placebo effect. My epigenetic age went down 7 years, but that could be other factors as well. Also my epigenetic age is still higher than my chronological age.

I think the worse shape you are in the more positive effects Rapamycin will have on you. Many people in tip top health feel no changes at all.

1 Like

See here: How Long Have People Been Taking Rapamycin for Anti-aging

Wouldn’t that be Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny?

2 Likes