Oral Rapamycin and Changes in Appearance?

Has anyone noticed any change of appearance after taking rapamycin orally? I read that it causes jaw bone growth in mice. I don’t want my jaw bone to grow back to its youthful size.
If you noticed appearance changes, what changes did you notice? And how long were you taking the drug for? Thank you.

2 Likes

I have a distinct plumpness of skin on my face.
My forehead, cheeks and bridge of nose thicker. Before Rapamycin when washing the forehead bridge it would crack and bleed… firmer skin now and it now takes a brutal exfoliate cloth scrubbing and nothing. Just thick clean skin.

The crepe skin on arms, saggy knee skin and turkey neck both reduced to normal skin… so it plumps and tightens the skin for me. Same with belly…stomach …visceral fat gone …belly button …round and hard…like in my youth again.

Saw changes after first year…on rapamycin 2 1/2 years.

10 Likes

Alex - Rapamycin, in one study, has helped regrow the jaw bone around the teeth, which is a good thing. Bone loss around the teeth is one of many symptoms of peridontal disease - which you want stopped or reversed. I recommend you read this thread and watch the video at the top: DIY Rapamycin Toothpaste and Flossing Paste

I can’t say I’ve noticed any changes in appearance from taking rapamycin for the past 3+ years. If anything has changed, its very subtle. I do think, however, that rapamycin likely helps keep or maintain your facial features in as youthful a condition as is possible right now.

Given that rapamycin slows the aging of most of your body’s organs, and skin is one of the largest organs, I suspect it helps keep your skin youthful but also your facial muscles and tissues young too. So - I suspect it would help prevent the need for “facelifts” because peoples faces won’t sag as much if their skin, tissue and muscles of their face are kept in a more youthful condition.

See also: Three-dimensional Analysis of Modeled Facial Aging

and: How to Reverse Skin Aging

4 Likes

I have been taking 10 mg weekly for the last 5 years and from my experience, it doesn’t do much by itself to change the facial appearance. Further I carefully examined pics of those who take rapamycin and in my opinion their faces don’t look younger for their age group. Now it may allow you to exercise more and longer by reducing inflammation and hence may impact your overall health and appearance. Further your oral tissue will become less inflamed. So overall it may be beneficial in some ways for your health and appearance but not a magic bullet.

2 Likes

I agree overall it doesn’t make you look younger. It just retards the aging process.
One thing I was surprised at is that the age spots on my hands have almost entirely disappeared. I don’t know if it is because of taking rapamycin internally or the fact that I use a rapamycin spray solution on my face and hands.

3 Likes

Most likely due to topical application. I’m using topical sirolimus as well and seen the same in the areas where I apply it. Also I noticed that it reduced substantially seborrheic keratosis when applied topically.

1 Like

I would agree on its treatment of seborrheic keratosis. I had 1 spot about an 3/4 inch in diameter… now gone… youthful pink skin… and two 1/3 inch spot reduced to nothing. Best of all… no new or additional growths. On rapamycin for 3.5 years.

I differ on facial changes. Particularly nose and sinus… seasonal allergies since I was 50 years old… stopped past 3 years… sinuses seem moist and thickened… face more plump… nose lifted and thickened too. Especially my nose to the touch the past year. My rounded end … pretty perky! Perhaps rebuilt cartilage?

1 Like

Topical rapamycin works well with retinoic acid to offset the raise in cellular senescence via p 16 activation… in my opinion based on limited studies.

2 Likes

Where can you get topical rapamycin? What is cost usually?

Thanks. So much for info.

You can either do it yourself, or buy…

see: DIY Rapamycin skin cream

Or if you’re not the DIY type, you can easily get rapamycin cream now from Healthspan - see here:

and related:

2 Likes

I know some people here are using topical rapamycin to try to reverse sun damage. How does it compare to eg Efudex. Clearly the side effects are way lower but is there good documented evidence of benefits?

It depends on the extent of the of sun damage and what you are exactly trying to treat. Also lower concentrations available on the healthspan may not be sufficient for precancerous or cancerous growth treatment as you may need at least 10 x higher and most likely different formulation altogether. You may want to consult with an advanced dermatologist?

1 Like

Completely 2 different animals. Fluorouracil is basically a cytotoxic drug for precancerous lesions.

1 Like