How many are making their own solutions from powder?

New to the forum and looking for some guidance. I bought some rapamycin powder from a Chinese lab I have previously bought research chemicals from and was planning on starting in the new year. I figured I would make up in solution as this would be easier to dose.
After browsing the site I realised that this might not be the best approach due to bioavailability issues caused by stomach acid. I’m wondering if anyone is making their own solutions from powder and observing any effect? Was thinking I could make a solution for oral administration using food grade ethanol and glycerol, maybe with some PEG, PG, Tween80.
Also would I be correct in thinking that the molecular weight would be way too large to try this sublingually?

2 Likes

FWIW

This has been posted in another thread;

M.W. 914.17

“Soluble in DMSO at 200 mg/mL; soluble in ethanol at 50 mg/mL; very poorly soluble in water; maximum solubility in plain water is estimated to be about 5-20 µM; buffers, serum, or other additives may increase or decrease the aqueous solubility.”

1 Like

Are you talking about something to take by mouth, or apply to skin?

1 Like

Have been using powder for last 3 years. Mix with Lactose powder (250 grams per gram rapa) for oral.(use proper pharmacy protocol in mixing powders) Have to do this to ensure proper measuring unless you have a lab balance to .00001 accuracy. Also, use it for skin and get very good results. Mix 90 mg. rapa to 300 grams of Cetaphil cream. Use 2 oz Propylene glycol liquid to disolve rapa before mixing. Some use DMSO, but this works just as well. Have thought seriously about IM for next step.

Thanks. Yes this was intended as a solution for oral use.
It looks like the general consensus is to mix with a bulk powder and use capsules rather than a solution then.
I know some folk who have taken some research chemicals by making up a solution and taking orally, some holding the liquid under their tongue before swallowing in the hope they get better uptake. But these would have been small molecules.
I couldn’t find much info on the site about anyone using a rapamycin solution orally and just wanted to check if any were. Cheers.

Noob question, sorry what is ‘IM’? thanks

IM = Intermuscular injection.

1 Like

This is too far out. We barely have evidence for taking oral rapamycin.

Have you read MAC’s posts on IM and IN use of Rapa on this site. We have 22 years of data on rapa. First noticed life extension in transplant patients outliving healthy people. Dr. Blagsklonny would disagree that we barely have evidence for taking rapamycin, and I would tend to follow his recommendations vs anyone else.

3 Likes

You might also consider making a liposomal solution. Look it up. I’ve done it before with vitamin c and others.

I have the same problem too, I don’t have the knowledge of drug chemistry so I am struggling for making solution/tablet/gel…

I plan to read the following book to fill up my knowledge gap, I just finished the first 3 chapter, it’s easy to read if you have biochemistry background.

An Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry by Graham Patrick

1 Like

That sounds cool, do we need advanced tools to make liposomal solution?

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I just took my weekly rapamycin this morning. Im just saying we’re just on the edge of available evidence taking weekly rapamycin for longevity. We can be confident it’s safe, we’ve got animal data for longevity, and that’s great. But longevity effects of injected seems like you’d be flying blind.

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I thought Rapa needs to be enteric coated to protect from stomach acid?

2 Likes

Recommended reading related to bioavailability of orally taken rapamycin:

Here: New Peter Attia interview w/Matt Kaeberlein, inferior bioavailability of encapsulated rapa

Here: Rapamycin and NanoCrystal Formulations

Here: Bioavailability of Rapamycin From Compounding Pharmacy

3 Likes

Some other relevant discussions: My Skunkwork begins - Rapamycin Powder

and: Rapamycin enteric coating vs powder bioavailability

2 Likes

I use a Blend Tec (High speed) blender to make liposomal supplements. I don’t do this for rapamycin…but I do take it with GF juice to increase bioavailability.

2 Likes

World_Traveler, Do you mind sharing your powder source? And, can you give more information about the good results you’ve had with your rapa cream? Thanks.

1 Like

Most compounds w weak ethanol and no water solubility usually suspend in peg400. This is common for stuff like sarms/ped5 inhibitors.

I have powder headed my way. Ill let you know if peg 400 works

2 Likes

New plan.
Make a small batch of solution with rapa powder in ethanol/PEG. Keep refridgerated.
Make up capsules as required - measure solution into: size 0 clear licaps® Liquid-Filled Capsules
Put these size 0 ‘liquid safe’ caps inside: size 000 DRcaps® delay release acid resistant
Just waiting for the caps to arrive.
Hopefully the rapamycin in solution and the use of delayed release acid resistant capsules will avoid potential issues with bioavailability.

2 Likes