How Do I Get Rapamycin for My Dog?

Yes - there are frequently problems with the compounding pharmacy rapamycin. See these threads:

Here: Bioavailability of Rapamycin From Compounding Pharmacy

Here: Compound pharmacy rapamycin capsules - bioavailability, concerns, & solutions?

2 Likes

Please support the continuation of the Dog Aging project by signing the below petition for Matt Kaeberlein. The NIH is likely not renewing its funding at one of the most critical points in the study.

5 Likes

Hi there, I’m a long-time lurker and just started myself and 3 pups on rapamycin. I haven’t seen anyone post this study yet from last year A masked, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial evaluating safety and the effect on cardiac function of low-dose rapamycin in 17 healthy client-owned dogs - PMC. It’s Matt Kaeberlein’s 2nd trial on rapamycin in dogs. I’m no expert, but as far as I can tell there was no statistically significant difference between the groups in the clinical evaluation; however in the owner questionnaire in response to the question, “Has your dog experienced any positive changes in behavior or other things that you would associate with good health within the past week?" owners of dogs in the rapamycin group replied with a “yes” response in 26.8% of all surveys while owners of dogs in the placebo group replied with a “yes” response in 8.1% of all surveys. This trial’s rapamycin treatment group received 0.025 mg/kg three times weekly for 6 months.

4 Likes

Signed, thanks! I really hope they get the renewal :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for signing. Welcome to the group and thank you for the link. Helpful study. Would you be willing to share the ages and dosing regimen of your dogs. Still trying to figure that out. Will also post a separate dosing question on this thread :thread:.

1 Like

Certainly! The oldest is 10 and just over 40 lbs. He was diagnosed with b cell lymphoma last year and has been in CHOP-MA treatment and complete remission for over a year now. The girls are 8 and 5 respectively and around 60 lbs each. I am starting them on the dosage in the TRIAD study at .15 mg/kg weekly rounding to the nearest mg - so 3 mg for the boy and 4 mg for the girls. All are mixed breed rescues I’ve had since they were puppies.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Sara. I’ve had a B-cell lymphoma 14 y.o. Who underwent CHOP to complete remission. Wish a rapamyacin protocol had been around then.

2 Likes

Perhaps of interest for people here, there must be a recording somewhere…

Dr. Daniel Promislow, leader of the Dog Aging Project, on the Talking Animals Radio Show this Jan. 24, at 11am ET, on WMNF (88.5 FM) in Tampa, streaming at WMNF.org.

Podcast:

3 Likes

Any response from TriviumVet?

Nope! Nothing at all :roll_eyes:

1 Like

These are the only references I found on an internet scrape:

“I also think, you know, it’s unfortunate, but a lot of scientists do what’s easy. And, because of the reputation problems, there’s more work involved in getting a clinical trial going with rapamycin and getting it through the IRB. There’s also a little bit of shiny new object syndrome in this field. And I think people have known rapamycin works really well in preclinical studies and haven’t paid as much attention as they probably should have. And then of course, rapamycin is off patent, and it’s been off patent for many years. And so there hasn’t been a lot of incentive for companies to move forward with clinical trials for rapamycin for other indications. That, I think, is being helped by newer versions of rapamycin. For example, there’s a company called Trivium Vet, that has a version of rapamycin that’s enteric coated for better release in the intestine. There are some other potentially more mTORC1 specific inhibitors that are rapalogs that are being developed. And then of course, the catalytic inhibitors that I talked about.”
https://mkaeberlein.com/rapamycin-is-the-gold-standard-for-longevity-interventions/

From 2021:
“The drug will be given once a week based on the human data from clinical trials with everolimus, which is a rapamycin derivative. It seems that an equivalent total dose given once a week rather than daily has better efficacy with reduced side effects. We are using a form of rapamycin that is coated for enteric release. It’s not the eRapa (encapsulated rapamycin) that’s used in mice, that’s a different formulation, but it is also not exactly the same as generic rapamycin (sirolimus) tablets that organ transplant patients take.”

1 Like

Started my 5kg 8.5-9.5 y.o. mixed breed in the beginning of February. Using Rapacan to start. Splitting the 1 mg pills in quarters, putting into a cheese coated enteric coated capsule and dosing with a higher fat meal. The plan was to titrate up towards the high end of the previous DAP study dose (.15mg/kg) and wasn’t sure if I’d give once weekly or divide it up into 3x’s/week based upon Matt K’s worry about the dose being a little low, very few to almost statistically absent adverse effects from the previous trial and thinking once per week was really to enhance compliance from dog owners. We started at .25mg once per week and we’re up to .25mg twice per week. This thread and others on this forum have been invaluable in helping us figure out sourcing and dosing. Very grateful for that :pray:. Many thanks to everyone here.

He is definitely friskier, drivier, and has increased intensity and stamina. This has enhanced all of his great characteristics and some of his less attractive traits like resource guarding and separation anxiety. Overall realizing more energy in both directions. Perhaps what we saw as maturity and mellowing was aging and less energy :woman_shrugging:t2:. We could usually kick back after dinner and watch the news or a movie, but he now demands more stimulation (and food), so we have added more training and brain games in the evening.

He’s developed a sore on his belly unlike any he’s ever had. He doesn’t get hot spots and the rest of his belly isn’t red and irritated. I wonder if this might be from the rapamycin, maybe his version of the canker sores humans often get on rapamycin. We’re going away for a week and I think it might be a good time to take a week’s hiatus. And now, we may not be titrating any further at this time.

3 Likes

Great post, thanks for sharing.

I suspect the red sore is associated with the rapamycin use. Temporary skin rashes and sores are pretty common with rapamycin. Take a break and I bet it goes away.

3 Likes

We see all of this wonderful data on Rapamycin in mice and dogs. It just confirms for me that Rapamycin is helping humans as well. Thanks for sharing your stories!

2 Likes

Is anyone not using pill form rapamycin for their dog? I have rapamycin powder I’d like to start giving my dog (~70lb rough collie 3.5 years old), but I’m not sure about the best way to administer it.

Also, mine was purchased from a US chemical supplier and I the purity was quoted as 98%+. Can anyone recommend a quantitative testing service that isn’t prohibitively expensive?

I think you’ll find it not worth the hassle to do what you’re trying to do. I would just use the rapamycin powder for Rapamycin toothpaste, or rapamycin skin cream, and buy regular tablets for your dog.

You can buy rapamycin tablets from India for about $1.20 or less per 1mg tablet, that you know will work. To make your own… and to do blood tests on your dog (I don’t think blood sirolimus levels for dogs are even available) is hard, and expensive, and if you can’t do the blood tests you don’t know if the rapamycin is even getting into the blood.

Its hard due to the fact that rapamycin typically gets destroyed in the stomach acid, if it doesn’t have good protection.

I recommend you review these posts. And perhaps anyone who has been successful in this effort can add their thoughts…

here: Rapamycin enteric coating vs powder bioavailability

here: How many are making their own solutions from powder?

here: New Peter Attia interview w/Matt Kaeberlein, inferior bioavailability of encapsulated rapa

related Sirolimus Powder - 3rd party analysis

4 Likes

Do you think the belly sore was an indication we needed a slower ramp on titrating? Can you share the ramping protocol you used for your pup? I remember you saying it was slow. TIA

Its a little more difficult to “ramp” when you have a small dog. My dog weighs 24 lbs. And you can’t split sirolimus tablets. So I started with 1mg, and perhaps 2 months later went up to 2mg. I generally try to do my dog on the same schedule I’m on so its easy to remember.

2 Likes

Thank you @RapAdmin. I guess I’ll just use it to make my own topical, and perhaps make some toothpaste also.

I need to look into ordering some from overseas. The last time I checked the prices they actually weren’t much cheaper than my Healthspan subscription. But if I’m going to be ordering for my dog, and I’d also like to order some for friends and family members, I’m going to have to shop around a bit.

Talks from WVC 2024- Nutrition for Lifespan Extension and Frailty

Source: Talks from WVC 2024- Nutrition for Lifespan Extension and Frailty |