Deprenyl - Anti-Aging Drug Proven Effective in Dogs

Hi Jay, Nice hearing from you. You remember that so called millionaire’s protocol? Long, lots of stuff… Basically I take ALL that. LOL!! I have a swallowing problem so I run all pills through a blend jet, morning and night. Alot of anti inflamatories; curcumin + olive oil 2 T in morning and a splash at night to help the absorbsion of evening curcurmine. Ginger extract, baswalia AND 30 others following that Moderator’s post of that millionair guy. He was about 40yrold.

Dryprenyl was tipped by Dr Deen (??) of FL 15 yr ago and he seemed to be a 1 trick pony Dr. I also take LDN, low dose naltrexon. Buy 50mg pills from India, disolve in 4oz + 1 T of water. Then take 1T per night = 5mg dose. LDN is inflamation quieting… I can’t offer any efficacy comments re dyprenyl or anythig else when one takes like me literally a kitchen sink. I can’t imagine it all is useful. My wife nags and has a point.

And the rapa + sinolitics; Dasinitib + Fisetin (been discredited) + quercetin + berberine + grape seed. No logic, just Dr Green said 20mg rapa every 2 weeks so thats my approx protocol per compliance issues. I do the grapfriuit absorbion protocol only with pink GF concentrate, 1/4 can per rapa dose 2 hr prior to rapa.

The forum has been fantastic. But they don’t cover nootrophics (brain) much. I take a stack; piracetum + oxycetum + Alpha-GPC+bacopa (very important/useful)… etc

Who knows the cost of my pee. :-\ LOL

Not sure all this is helpful. But I’m glad to share. Wishing you the best, curt

4 Likes

Deprenyl is a MAO-B inhibitor which has been used for the treatment/“slowing down” of Parkinson’s disease for years. Also people in Europe were taking it as an anti-ageing medication on a once a week basis. In 2006 another medication from the same group - Azilect was approved by FDA for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease in my opinion not as effective.
It is interesting that it was used on a once a week basis the same way we take Rapamycin!

2 Likes

Did anyone reach out to the ITP guys?

I would definitely recommend Deprenyl to the ITP guys. It is very well tolerated medication with a long safety record.

3 Likes

Not that I know of. If you have some time to write up something - please do: Feb. 28th Cutoff For NIA ITP Aging Drug Submissions - Ideas for New Testing?

Per another recent thread, Deprenyl has been shown to work synergistically with Polyscias Fruticosa to extend lifespan in both mice and rats. It would be nice to see ITP testing of both. I drink tea made from polyscias fruticosa (aka Dinh Lang or Ming Aralia).

Another top candidate would be dietary nucleotides (RNA/DNA). Perhaps with a higher percentage of DNA vs RNA. There are a half dozen previous studies. The studies were discussed in a separate thread. I believe it is the current record holder for rodent lifespan extension.

2 Likes

Please tell about the tea and how to get it.

It’s loose leaf tea:

It has some thicker stem pieces that I remove. I fill up one of these to make a single 8 oz cup of tea:

I sweeten it with erythritol sweetener. And it’s palatable. It has this distinct flavor… I think it might be good infused in homemade chicken noodle soup.

It seem there is only one study on the combination of Deprenyl with polyscias fruticosa on mice from 1992, the time Deprenyl was widely used. Any ideas why there are no subsequent studies on the subject or epidemiological studies from the Asian countries where polyscias fruticosa has been used for years for the treatment of multiple medical problems. And thank you for the tea source - will try.

1 Like

There were two studies showing that Polyscias Fruticosa extends lifespan. And when taken with Deprenyl, the effect is greater. There was a mouse study and a rat study. The details were discussed in this thread.

1 Like

I may be one of the only ones (normally don’t try something first-ish), but I take rasagiline 0.25mg every 5 out of 6 days, taking a break when traveling. This is 1mg tablet bought in India quartered this being my estimate = 1mg deprenyl.

I tried 1mg deprenyl and felt weird / depressed from its side effects. With what I take, I feel really nothing, no side effects, no difference, and it has not interacted with any foods or really anything. Though this is a bit left field, the data on deprenyl is overall strong yet to me it is intolerable so this was my left field “solution.” In general I function substantially better mentally than my age of 51, perhaps this is helping a little but I cannot say either way.

1 Like

I bought the tea, like the smell and taste without a sweetener, but have some GI upset. How much do you use? I probably used too much.

I remove large pieces of stem first. 4 to 4.5 grams in 1 1/4 cups of water, steeped in an extra fine mesh strainer. I haven’t had any GI irritation or other side effects. I’ve been drinking it every morning for about two months now.

been taking it practically daily 5mg since the late 90’s straight and haven’t noticed any issues at all. No different than taking a placebo as far as i can tell and had to do without it a few times for up to a few weeks or so and did not notice anything different. Have taken it with other moa inhibitors, amphetamine such as ritalin, ketamine , buprenorphine etc etc.on occasion and again no effect and certainly no cheese effect… Oh for the record the price i have been paying the last year(s) or so is almost $20 for 90x5mg tablets from Reliable in India. For those of you who go to doctors and have medical insurance and may get prescriptons u should be able to get it for less.

Initially, I had reservations, because of the interaction with cheese. I cannot give up aged cheddar.

Hypertensive crisis and cheese

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738414/#:~:text=He%20noticed%20that%20every%20time,hypertensive%20crises%20can%20be%20avoided.

But the article below is reassuring.

Selective inhibition of MAO-A by clorgyline results in a large increase in the amount of unchanged tyramine transported, whereas selective inhibition of MAO-B with L-deprenyl (selegiline) has no significant effect.

1 Like

I consumed a package of selegeline about 7 years ago. Followed the protocol and ate about 3 mg a week. Found it super easy to stop using nicotine while “on it”, and also found that I did remarkably well with much less sleep than I usually need. Also took Piracetam at the time, and had extremely fast reflexes while practicing BJJ. Always had good reflexes, but people started commenting on it. But was a few things that scared me with it.

1. Lost weight, good for some but not if you’re ripped and already find it hard to maintain calorie-balance.

2. Think I slept 4-5 h instead of 6-7 h. Sounds counterproductive for longevity, right?

3. If I remember right I think it changed my temper to the worse, that i more easily got snappy with my family.

4. Also read a report on Eriwid about a guy who got completely changed as a person, more greedy, selfish etc…

5. Also think I read somewhere that part of the selegeline turns into Meth, apparently numbers so low that neurotoxicity isn’t a problem, but still.

The cheese effect wasn’t, and shouldn’t be an issue in doses of a few milligrams a week.

2 Likes

if its true those side effects are really rare esp at only 3mg/week which is nothing and for u was probably your imagination or placebo effect that it had anything to do .with selegiline. Been taking 5mg/day for over 20 years and it is a no brainer - like it is not doing anything noticeable when compared to going off it and had nothing to do with gaining nor losing weight and no cheese effect at only 5mg/day nor even at 10mg/day that i noticed and all those warnings of don’t consume with certain other drugs are also unwarranted. Around 22cents each for 5mg from Reliable in india from which one can mail order

ever tried it - been taking 5mg/day since late 90’s. u can ignore all warnings etc. esp for very small doses of 10mg/day or less. As far as any interactions have never noticed anything at all. and no need for any dietary restrictions. likely i should up the dose to 10mg/day since so old and now found it to be cheaper if ordered from Reliable… in india. Maybe also as somewhere may suggest cycle on and off it to save money also

you don’t have to cut down a 5mg into 5 pieces ! 5mg is such a tiny amount that if u take any less u might as well not bother to take it at all ! you are being ridiculous.

Dan, we try to let people make their own decisions here and not tell them what to do. Its fine to talk about your own experiences and decisions, but please try to keep it to that. We also try to be evidence based / science driven… if you have opinions on what the optimal dose is for Deprenyl, fine but please try to back it up with some research that you’ve hopefully based your opinion on…

7 Likes