Deprenyl - Anti-Aging Drug Proven Effective in Dogs

I bought the tea, like the smell and taste without a sweetener, but have some GI upset. How much do you use? I probably used too much.

I remove large pieces of stem first. 4 to 4.5 grams in 1 1/4 cups of water, steeped in an extra fine mesh strainer. I haven’t had any GI irritation or other side effects. I’ve been drinking it every morning for about two months now.

been taking it practically daily 5mg since the late 90’s straight and haven’t noticed any issues at all. No different than taking a placebo as far as i can tell and had to do without it a few times for up to a few weeks or so and did not notice anything different. Have taken it with other moa inhibitors, amphetamine such as ritalin, ketamine , buprenorphine etc etc.on occasion and again no effect and certainly no cheese effect… Oh for the record the price i have been paying the last year(s) or so is almost $20 for 90x5mg tablets from Reliable in India. For those of you who go to doctors and have medical insurance and may get prescriptons u should be able to get it for less.

Initially, I had reservations, because of the interaction with cheese. I cannot give up aged cheddar.

Hypertensive crisis and cheese

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738414/#:~:text=He%20noticed%20that%20every%20time,hypertensive%20crises%20can%20be%20avoided.

But the article below is reassuring.

Selective inhibition of MAO-A by clorgyline results in a large increase in the amount of unchanged tyramine transported, whereas selective inhibition of MAO-B with L-deprenyl (selegiline) has no significant effect.

1 Like

I consumed a package of selegeline about 7 years ago. Followed the protocol and ate about 3 mg a week. Found it super easy to stop using nicotine while “on it”, and also found that I did remarkably well with much less sleep than I usually need. Also took Piracetam at the time, and had extremely fast reflexes while practicing BJJ. Always had good reflexes, but people started commenting on it. But was a few things that scared me with it.

1. Lost weight, good for some but not if you’re ripped and already find it hard to maintain calorie-balance.

2. Think I slept 4-5 h instead of 6-7 h. Sounds counterproductive for longevity, right?

3. If I remember right I think it changed my temper to the worse, that i more easily got snappy with my family.

4. Also read a report on Eriwid about a guy who got completely changed as a person, more greedy, selfish etc…

5. Also think I read somewhere that part of the selegeline turns into Meth, apparently numbers so low that neurotoxicity isn’t a problem, but still.

The cheese effect wasn’t, and shouldn’t be an issue in doses of a few milligrams a week.

2 Likes

if its true those side effects are really rare esp at only 3mg/week which is nothing and for u was probably your imagination or placebo effect that it had anything to do .with selegiline. Been taking 5mg/day for over 20 years and it is a no brainer - like it is not doing anything noticeable when compared to going off it and had nothing to do with gaining nor losing weight and no cheese effect at only 5mg/day nor even at 10mg/day that i noticed and all those warnings of don’t consume with certain other drugs are also unwarranted. Around 22cents each for 5mg from Reliable in india from which one can mail order

ever tried it - been taking 5mg/day since late 90’s. u can ignore all warnings etc. esp for very small doses of 10mg/day or less. As far as any interactions have never noticed anything at all. and no need for any dietary restrictions. likely i should up the dose to 10mg/day since so old and now found it to be cheaper if ordered from Reliable… in india. Maybe also as somewhere may suggest cycle on and off it to save money also

you don’t have to cut down a 5mg into 5 pieces ! 5mg is such a tiny amount that if u take any less u might as well not bother to take it at all ! you are being ridiculous.

Dan, we try to let people make their own decisions here and not tell them what to do. Its fine to talk about your own experiences and decisions, but please try to keep it to that. We also try to be evidence based / science driven… if you have opinions on what the optimal dose is for Deprenyl, fine but please try to back it up with some research that you’ve hopefully based your opinion on…

7 Likes

High Dan, appreciate your input. :blush:

This was a few years ago, and I did also try the medicine at. 2,5 and 5 mg. N1 is never good proof, but if you think about it you’re doing the same error…

Im fairly positive though that the effect of a first dose of 5 mg goes beyond placebo. Then I can also imagine that you get used to the dose rather fast and won’t feel it the same way, and that mechanisms like homeostasis comes to the party.

I won’t tell anybody what to do, but I can assure you that MAOIS isn’t another B-vitamine, and I think you should be extra precautions if you have bipolarity in your family. Stay safe!

yea getting used to it and even developing some like antibody… against it and less effective than at first could be true though what is N1 and ‘same error’ mean. no bipolarity that i know of

2 Likes

I AM sure though when i took my first 5mg pill many years ago i felt nothing and never since that time even taking 10mg

if u insist then take every other day or whatever

Dan, I’m certainly not alone about feeling an affect from lower dosages. See Erowid or Reddit for others experiences/ trip reports.

I do know that people who medicated/abused amphs before were less impressed, but that some found that adding PEA, or just eating dark Chocolate would give them an “effect”.

What’s the rationale behind your dosage? You don’t feel an effect, and the dosage seems to high for longevity purposes…? (Or you followed the recommendation age-titration?)
I realize that I might get sound a bit confrontative, but I’m really curious!

All the best,
L

1 Like

I tried Deprenyl about ten years ago. And I don’t remember the details but it was a high dose. And I experienced - nothing at all.

But then I’m probably the worst N1 on the planet. It’s rare for me to feel effects or see results from ANYTHING, and generally go by faith and back seat driving.

@lukegadget correct it’s a no brainer, but doesn’t mean it’s not doing good nor proof that it is.
for deprenyl less than sAY 15mg for sure NO DIETARY DRINKING restrictions at all
or i would have noticed some issues by now after 25years of use

i read about back in the 90’s and 5mg is certainly not too high for longevity purposes but maybe too low. I don’t think life extension has ever been proven for humans in any event. Back at that time there were not as many of all these different things for extra health or longevity so i did that one. If i only learned about it Now i don’t know because there are just too many of those different things that someone reports as beneficial or promotes longevity = u can’t do all of them that’s for sure even if u didn’t go broke first Just because feel nothing does not mean it is not doing any good. Sounds like u make the same mistake as too many others by believing what u hear about recommended age-titration and other things. Can’t u tell the difference between fact and somone’s opinion and what to ignore. If u felt anything significant u are in the minority - that was no double blind statistically significant study that u know regarding others trip reports. I don’t know what are your abbreviations amphs nor adding PEA.

1 Like

Many good points indeed. If I don’t remember wrong, the age-titration is suggested by Joseph knoll, the inventor of selegiline. I don’t remember the rationale behind it, but it sure appealed to me. If I find the time I’ll try to see if I am find some sources to share.

Looking at the numbers on the table, stats fail to convince that Deprenyl is life prolonging.

Average age of the top eight dead placebo dogs is 5722 days. Average age of Deprenyl surviving dogs is 5120.69 days. Can those surviving dogs live another 601 days?

Average age of all dead placebo dogs is 5443 days. That is still 322 days older than the surviving Deprenyl dogs (5121). That is almost a year longer.

Longest lived dead placebo dog lived 6021 days. Longest lived deprenyl dog, dead or survived (it survived) is 5772 days. Can it live another 250 days? Maybe, maybe not.

Table is on the fifth page of RapAdmin’s link to the full text.

2 Likes

you can ignore all of those esp if doing less than 15mg per day and that is for sure