Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

@Maveric78 Great advise and what I was hoping for both for my personal interest and my patients that look to me for their journey. The benefits section of the FAQ that @RapAdmin was very helpful to see what possibilities that Rapamycin has seen. The most quantifiable benefit I have experienced is that I don’t feel as old. The aches, pains and soreness I have acceptable as my new normal seem to be much better. I recover from workouts faster. If this is the only thing that changes, I would happy with just this relief. Thanks again for the advice and your experience.

Is there a reason why you are doing 100mg of the SGLT2 inhibitor instead of 10-25mg?

Each SGLT2 inhibitor has different dosing… the dose is 100mg to 300mg for canagliflozin, 10 to 25mg for empagliflozin.

Its all about risk reward I think - higher dosing, lower the glucose spikes… but it depends on your diet too - if you’re mostly a low carb person, there may be minimal differences in the spikes between different doses. I originally ordered a mix of the lower and higher doses - started low, went high, then went back to low when I ran out of the higher doses. The only side effect you really see is increased urination with the drug… not sure if I saw any difference in that variable at different doses, it wasn’t clearly obvious.

Table 1: Recommended Dosage

estimated glomerular filtration rate eGFR (mL/min/1.73 m2) Recommended Dosage
eGFR 60 or greater 100 mg orally once daily, taken before the first meal of the day. Dose can be increased to 300 mg once daily for additional glycemic control.
eGFR 30 to less than 60 100 mg once daily.
eGFR less than 30 Initiation is not recommended, however patients with albuminuria greater than 300 mg/day may continue 100 mg once daily to reduce the risk of ESKD, doubling of serum creatinine, CV death, and hospitalization for heart failure [see INDICATIONS, Use In Specific Populations].
On dialysis Contraindicated [see CONTRAINDICATIONS].

Source: https://www.rxlist.com/invokana-drug.htm#dosage

For Empagliflozin its:

The recommended dose for JARDIANCE is 10 mg once daily

• For additional glycemic control, increase to 25 mg once daily in patients who tolerate 10 mg

Source: https://pro.boehringer-ingelheim.com/us/products/jardiance/t2d/dosing

David,
Yes…I’m 79…and I definitely feel that testosterone supplementation is beneficial. I do not use GH stimulators. Here is a link to my testosterone article posted on my blog:

4 Likes

New study summary on the supplement for the eyes / vision:

In a new report,1 funded by the National Institutes of Health, scientists analyzed 10 years of AREDS2 data. They show that the AREDS2 formula, which substituted antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin for beta-carotene, not only reduces risk of lung cancer due to beta-carotene, but is also more effective at reducing risk of AMD progression, compared to the original formula.

“Because beta-carotene increased the risk of lung cancer for current smokers in two NIH-supported studies, our goal with AREDS2 was to create an equally effective supplement formula that could be used by anyone, whether or not they smoke,” sEmily Chew, MD, director of the Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Application at the National Eye Institute (NEI), and lead author of the study report, noted in an NIH news release “This 10-year data confirms that not only is the new formula safer, it’s actually better at slowing AMD progression.”

AMD is a degenerative disease of the retina, the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye. Progressive death of retinal cells in the macula, the part of the retina that provides clear central vision, eventually leads to blindness. Treatment can slow or reverse vision loss; however, no cure for AMD exists.

According to the NIH release, the original AREDS study, launched in 1996, showed that a dietary supplement formulation (500 mg vitamin C, 400 international units vitamin E, 2 mg copper, 80 mg zinc, and 15 mg beta-carotene) could significantly slow the progression of AMD from moderate to late disease. However, two concurrent studies also revealed that people who smoked and took beta-carotene had a significantly higher risk of lung cancer than expected.

The release also noted that in AREDS2, begun in 2006, Chew and colleagues compared the beta-carotene formulation to one with 10 mg lutein and 2 mg zeaxanthin instead. Like beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin are antioxidants with activity in the retina. The beta-carotene-containing formation was only given to participants who had never smoked or who had quit smoking.

At the end of the five-year AREDS2 study period, the researchers concluded that lutein and zeaxanthin did not increase risk for lung cancer, and that the new formation could reduce the risk of AMD progression by about 26%. After the completion of the five-year study period, the study participants were all offered the final AREDS2 formation that included lutein and zeaxanthin instead of beta-carotene.

Full Paper:

5 Likes

SGLT2’s are expensive. What is your source? Thanks

$60 per month for sglt2 inhibitors…

Where many of us get them

Luteolin looks like something we may want to pay attention to:

Study published in Front Pharmacol. in 2022 showing luteolin enhances hippocampal neurogenesis & folate brain transport of the CP ! “Luteolin Enhances Choroid Plexus 5-MTHF Brain Transport to Promote Hippocampal Neurogenesis in LOD Rats”

Related:

What I haven’t mentioned yet is how diet’s contributing to my relatively low biological age. NAD is involved in the health and function of virtually every organ system in the body, and unfortunately for us, it declines during aging. One reason for that is because of the age-related increase in a protein that degrades NAD, which is known as CD38. There are CD38 inhibitors, fortunately, for example, apigenin, quercetin, luteolin and kuromanin as shown there, which can inhibit CD38, increase NAD, or slow the age-related NAD decline.

Note that these metabolites are found in food. By eating an abundance of foods that contain CD38 inhibitors, potentially we can maximize NAD, thereby keeping us youthful for longer. With that in mind, I’m going to take a look at some of my own data in terms of dietary CD38 inhibitors and whether or not they’re correlated with my biological age.

1 Like

I’m 62 years old, have been exercising my entire life, but now, limited to 5 days per week of strength training with weights, different muscle group each day. I eat mostly organic, lots of fruits, vegetables, grass-fed beef, lamb, some fish but try to avoid tuna and swordfish.

My supplements are the usual suspects, but now adding in
3 mg of Rapa taken with GF every 10 days,
250 mg metformin daily in morning
.40 cc of Testosterone cypionate injected subQ twice weekly in mornings
.20 cc of CJC/Ipamorelin injected subQ M-F in evenings

I try to get 10 minutes or so a day of sunshine, do infrared sauna at 160 degrees for 30 minutes twice-weekly (not as compliant as I would like)
I do full-body photobiomodulation for 30 minutes 2-3 times weekly
I use the PureWave PEMI (Portable ElectroMagnetic Induction) device 3-4 times weekly for 30 minutes for an increase in circulation, blood flow, oxygen, removal of toxins and to stimulate my metabolism.
And I use HAELO after intense workouts for faster recovery.

My biological age usually comes in between 31 to 34, if it is to be believed.
I’ll attach a photo:
thumbnail

13 Likes

Pretty remarkable.
Why testosterone and what is CJC?
Do you do the photo modulation at home? Anti- aging firewalls by Vince G. just did a very positive review of them and their anti-aging benefits.

1 Like

I do testosterone because of all the extraordinary health benefits for males, like keeping the skin from thinning, increased libido, increased muscle size and strength, decreased body fat, better sleep, etc.

I don’t do the photobiomodulation at home, just because I don’t have the budget, or the space, to house a 7 foot, 48,000 diode, machine.

The CJC/ Ipamorelin allows my body to heal much quicker and I believe, has some anti-aging effects.

1 Like

You can make your own from a bathroom light fixture and infrared therapy bulbs from Amazon for approx. $370 dollars.

I chose the bulbs over the panels because of space and because the bulbs are more intense.

This fixture pretty much covers my body from head to toe. I haven’t been using it regularly enough to know how effective it is. My main purpose is because of the supposed benefits to the eyes and skin.

Easy enough to make and mount on a convenient wall. You will also need a 120VAC electrical cord for the fixture.

13 Likes

Are you using the dosing as per the information on Dr. Greens web site?

1 Like

I do roughly 4-5 grams each.

1 Like

@ExMilitary What did you use to get your bio age calculation? Are you going from blood tests and the Levine phenotypic calculation as we have in our “Friendly Biological Age reduction competition” ?

2 Likes

I haven’t used any epigenetic test that you’re talking about as it seems like no one can agree which ones are accurate but I have done the BrainTap neural check which supposedly measures how stress, specifically, heart rate variability, prematurely ages you.

Here’s a link to what I’m talking about: About Your BrainTap & HRV Session - FAQs

If everyone is taking the same test, perhaps I’ll take it too so I can enter the competition.

1 Like

No, its not an epigenetic test - just a calculation you can make at home based on simple blood test results that most people do… CBC and CRP - see the page above on the Friendly bioage reduction competition - there is a spreadsheet and links to the blood tests which you may already have…

1 Like

These seem like no brainers. One of the most common aging signs is visual and auditory decline. Thanks for the information.

@Stoic Great regime :slight_smile: Prolon has some promising studies. No hormone support? Sleep monitoring? Exercise ?

1 Like

@ExMilitary Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a thorough response. I was not familiar with HAELO and PEMI, so thanks for the information. Some of the discussion on mTOR stimulators vs. mTOR inhibitors create a possible conflict. Testosterone and your CJC/IPA both stimulate mTOR with IGF-1 and testosterone (directly). Both of the hormone support that you are taking can help with quality of life ( Healthspan), but may decrease longevity. The discussions of Dr. Sabatini ( MIT) and Dr. Sinclair (Harvard), seem to suggest that larger muscles may be at a consequence of less longevity. I am not sure if it is an either or since younger populations have high testosterone and GH and seem do great. It seems like you regime is working for you! Thanks again for reponding to my request.

1 Like