Anyone taking Selegiline / Deprenyl For Longevity?

Thank you so much @Vlasko. He’s bigger than me as well so perhaps I’ll just swallow the pill after all. Additionally I should probably check and see if size matters with this medicine.

It looks like staying at or below 10mg/week is the anti aging dose that Life Extension recommends according to this article.

1.25mg/day swallowed should keep me under that amount.

2 Likes

Yes. Most pills are 5 mg. Knoll suggested 1 mg per day. LEF suggests a total of 10 mg per week in divided dosages. I follow the LEF protocol and split up two pills in pieces for the week. I don’t notice any effects from this low dosage. Some people think it’s mentally stimulating even at low dosage. The general recommendation is to take it in the morning.

It’s been shown to extend lifespan in dogs. I know there are people here who give rapamycin to their dogs.

3 Likes

Yes, but if I remember the study the dosage was really huge, like 1mg/kg or something like that. How des that compare to 1mg/day or 10mg/week?
My dog is getting rapamycin. That is how I got into the rapamycin too :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been taking it on and off for about 25 years. It’s a MAO-B inhibitor and was thought to affect dopamine. Recent study suggests that’s not the case and that it is beneficial with Parkinson’s for other reasons.

This article suggests that it affects gaba instead of dopamine.

2 Likes

Those warnings are for an MAO-A inhibitor. They are not related to seligiilene which is MAO-B inhibitor unless you’re taking a very big dose.

1 Like

New research shows that seligiilene does not raise dopamine. I have homozygous overactive MAO-A SNPs that dissolve dopamine as fast as my brain can make it so I’m always looking for dopamine agonists.

In fact, I need to get a tablespoon of tyrosine and chug it down right now.

I think the effect on Parkinson’s is from inhibiting subcortical gaba. See the article I posted below.

5 Likes

@blsm did you start selegiline? Any feedback? Good/bad?

2 Likes

@scta123, I’m going to go with bad for me personally. I thought I might try it one more time just to be certain. I took it for about 7 days. 1.25mg was too strong for me and after 2 days of sleeping most of the day away I reduced it further to about 1/8 of a 5mg pill and switched to taking it before bed. I honestly felt pretty low energy and borderline depressed the whole time I was on it. I did learn I was unknowingly eating gluten (I’m celiac) in my lunch at work during that week so that could have skewed my experience and that’s why I might give it it one more try. It seemed to have the opposite effect on me compared to what others report unfortunately. I guess you can’t blame a girl for trying!

1 Like

Thx. for the feedback. Too bad it did not work for you. I just got my prescription filled and contemplating to start using it. Probably will try it in a week or two. Will report back.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am rather hesitant to try anything that might affect mood. I’m already a cynical misanthrope, although maybe a dopamine agonist would elevate my disposition?

2 Likes

@EasterEggBiff, I apologize if my anecdotal experience is discouraging. I was somewhat torn on sharing it because I didn’t want to put anyone off to trying it out. Since I was directly asked though I figured honesty would be best. For the record I’ve never responded well to any psychoactive type medicines I’ve tried so it’s probably me and not Selegiline!

3 Likes

Nothing to apologize for. We are all here for transparency. I should also add that after my v rare rapamycin side effect (also shared on here for full disclosure) I am highly cautious in any event. I prefer to integrate/trial more widely used drugs that have a proven track record in the longevity space (TAME, ITP) rather than attempt the more speculative-even if promising.

2 Likes

HI,
Yes, I have been taking 10 mg of selegiline twice daily for the past 3 years.

3 Likes

I’ve been taking 5mg twice a week for two months then 1.25mg for 8 months. I got tired of breaking the pills into four. That’s why I took half a 2.5mg tablet every other day for the last two months. So I’m experienced for one year.
I couldn’t find any pros or cons as I also take other medications such as lithium which improves my mood.

3 Likes

Paul Kiesow attributes his longevity to his low-dose selegiline regimen: 1.25 mg/d, 5 days per week (so one 5 mg pill broken into four per week). Pill normally swallowed (and not orally disintegrating tablet taken on the tongue). Interesting to follow his account (although please note that Paul is openly “anti rapa”): https://twitter.com/KiesowPaul/status/1700737286336356472

2 Likes

Vulcan, You mentioned dopamine agonists. Tell me more if you have time. Which ones have you found useful.

blsm, Honesty is the best policy (most of the time). So, thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I wish more people would do so even when their experience is negative. Psychoactive drugs in general tend to rob me of energy and mood. So, I prefer to avoid them. In this case your information saves me valuable time in the research and testing process.

2 Likes

FWIW:
It looks to me like l-tyrosine plus mucuna pruriens would be a strong combination for increasing dopamine in the brain

I occasionally use l-tyrosine or a mucuna pruriens supplement for a mood lift, but I have not tried them together.

The fact that tyrosine increases dopamine availability that, in turn, may enhance cognitive performance has led to numerous studies on healthy young participants taking tyrosine as a food supplement.

“It is known that the main phenolic compound of Mucuna seeds is L-dopa (approximately 5%) (Vadivel and Pugalenthi, 2008). Nowadays, Mucuna is widely studied because L-dopa is a substance used as a first-line treatment for Parkinson’s disease.”

1 Like

I got started on dopamine agonists when I was hired to record the EEG of people doing a protocol that involved supplementation with tyrosine and some other things. I added myself to the study because we needed a bigger sample size and my brain woke up. I’ve been taking amino acid dopamine precursors ever since.

First, I’ve got a homozygous overactive MAOa SNP which is associated with poor mental health outcomes due to a deficit of dopamine. So my regime may not be beneficial for those of you who do not have a dopamine deficit.

My sweetheart has the underactive homozygous MAOa SNP. When she took the dopamine agonist ropinirole for restless leg, she got so anxious she couldn’t leave the house. So be careful.

I take a tablespoon of tyrosine on awakening and at lunch time. I also take 200 mg of mucinabam and noon with 15% l dopa.

I take 200 mg of modafinil in the morning and I take 10 mg of selegline am and noon.

I have many overactive HPA SNPS which can lead to increased cortisol and at times in my life I’ve had very imbalanced diurnal cortisol levels.

I take a lot of theanine which is a gaba agonist. Gaba is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that can balance out the dopamine and the cortisol.

I drink a lot of shade grown kukicha tea which is high in theanine and low in caffeine. If you’re interested in the non-caffeine chemicals in tea you need to get stuff that hasn’t been roasted. They have to heat the freshly harvested tea in order to stop enzymes from breaking the leaves down. Steamed tea has more theanine than pan roasted.

3 Likes